Animal Haters.... - Page 5 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #41 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
Another one of my annoyances is people who get animals for the kids,but they really don't like them. When the kids move out of the house and don't want the pets they are usually given away.
This. I use to work at a humane society and not even waiting until the kids move out. I've seen it tons when they buy a cat/dog/small animal for a child, they tell them it's theirs and they have 100% responsibility(stupid if you ask me), they get bored of said animal after a few weeks/months and since the parents didn't want it to begin with they would drop them off with a 'I'm done with it' attitude. Makes me furious. I don't have kids and I also don't want any but if I did, I would not get my kid a pet. It would be mine/family pet and the adults in the house would be full responsibility but I would teach them how to take care of/behave around that animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #42 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
Haaa! Definitely jealousy. So maybe they're moving towards actually getting a cat themselves now?
Lol nope. They don't even want one, its more that they are jealous that we have so many animals. They are notoriously cheap and won't spend money on anything that's not for them, including animals. They have a dog that I feel sorry for. She's old and they don't pay attention to it anymore. They want a new one when it dies but they won't get a cat. They don't want it scratching anything, climbing anything but when I said get a cat tree they said its too expensive . Sigh.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cat

One of the saddest examples of this is a man and his wife who brought their 16 year old dog in to the shelter because 'the dog belonged to the kids and now the kids are in college.' The couple said that they only allowed the dog to stay inside because of the kids,but now that they were moved out, the dog was living outside. They even went on further to say that they were hoping the dog would 'hurry up and die'. I foster dogs and was actually there to pull a different dog,but ended up taking this old soul as well. Needless to say he stayed with me until he passed away one day shy of his 20th birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
This. I use to work at a humane society and not even waiting until the kids move out. I've seen it tons when they buy a cat/dog/small animal for a child, they tell them it's theirs and they have 100% responsibility(stupid if you ask me), they get bored of said animal after a few weeks/months and since the parents didn't want it to begin with they would drop them off with a 'I'm done with it' attitude.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hairball, I think that's how I was before I got Yuki. I'd only had dogs before and considered myself a dog person. I know I misinterpreted cats' mostly quiet independent nature for standoffish behavior, compared to dogs' boisterous lick-your-face barky behavior. Once I spent more time around cats I saw how friendly and loving they can be. Now I consider myself a cat person I love all animals but feel especially protective for cats. Cats seem to be targets for abuse and abandonment. I wish I could foster and/or adopt another kitty but my allergies say no!

Yuki'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
One of the saddest examples of this is a man and his wife who brought their 16 year old dog in to the shelter because 'the dog belonged to the kids and now the kids are in college.' The couple said that they only allowed the dog to stay inside because of the kids,but now that they were moved out, the dog was living outside. They even went on further to say that they were hoping the dog would 'hurry up and die'. I foster dogs and was actually there to pull a different dog,but ended up taking this old soul as well. Needless to say he stayed with me until he passed away one day shy of his 20th birthday.
That is amazing of you to take that sweet old show and give him s wonderful rest of his life. It makes me sooooo angry though. Especially when an old animal is involved and they spent the rest of their life with their original family. It makes me sick that people treat their animals like they are property... Which is why I can't stand when someone refers to me when I'm with my dog as her owner. I say no I'm her mom and I get a weird look of course.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #46 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I don't understand this either, but I have realized over years
in the working world that if my boss hates cats we are not
going to get on. Not over that issue specifically, but because
we are just too different in the way we see things and interact
with people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
I've never been able to understand how anyone can not like cats----especially to hate them! And there are people out there who truly have an aversion to cats. Why is that?!? Is it because cats are so clever and independently-minded that some people misread their need for personal space (which we humans also need) as standoffish and/or anti-social behavior? I guess some people simply don't understand these amazing animals. It's a longstanding myth that cats are anti-social, whereas in reality they are extremely social animals. My cat needs lots of attention and affection----If I don't pay her enough attention, she'll get right in my face to distract me from whatever I'm doing. lol
I don't understand how a person can hate animals----especially cats. Personally, I don't have a natural affinity for dogs, but that doesn't make me dislike them in any way. But some people truly hate cats, and will throw things at them to make them go away, and/or handle them in a rough, abusive way. Such people baffle me.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #47 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki'sMum View Post
Hairball, I think that's how I was before I got Yuki. I'd only had dogs before and considered myself a dog person. I know I misinterpreted cats' mostly quiet independent nature for standoffish behavior, compared to dogs' boisterous lick-your-face barky behavior. Once I spent more time around cats I saw how friendly and loving they can be. Now I consider myself a cat person I love all animals but feel especially protective for cats.

That's awesome.
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #48 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hippie View Post
I don't understand this either, but I have realized over years
in the working world that if my boss hates cats we are not
going to get on. Not over that issue specifically, but because
we are just too different in the way we see things and interact
with people as well.

Same here, indeed.
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This short clip says it all:

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Cat

Aw, such awful people in the world isn't there.
I worked with an oldish lady who grew up pet-less (in my eyes, that is the same thing as heartless for anything other than humans) and when my old mini-rex bunny was suffering chronic tooth issues and eventually retrobulbar disease (leading to the removal of teeth via surgery) this lady critisized me endlessly for taking on more hours in order to pay for it all. She knew her tormenting did not faze me, since as a bullied kid I was used to ignoring that sort of behavior. **eta I should add here that the reason I was bullied a lot in school is because of my "weird" ways and being more connected to animals than to people

But it really got me thinking - people who get rid of puppies and kittens when they realise the work involved or that they were foolish for getting it to meet the arrival of a newborn or for their young kids to teach them "responsibility" are just idiots. Seriously. The amount of respect tacked onto non-human animals by the majority of people is pitiful. People can be so heartless. I have fed pigeons off my arm, ducks from my hand. I have given mouth-to-mouth to my drowning mice (my dad showed me how when he tried to rescusitate a hamster unsuccessfully) and have kept feeder fish as pets to save their lives. I have devoted my life to my pets and sometimes when people see my facebook albums (more pics of animals and bugs then of me) they think I'm a freak. I think people like me and you guys here are actually better people than they are who do not care. It takes a real man (though I am a woman) to stand up for something defenseless or smaller. (or, in the case of larger wild animals, to respect its space and leave it alone or feed it like the member above). There are not many wild animals in my area of the city, loose pet bunnies and stray or outdoor cats (which is how I got my cat Oliver)
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement