Animal Haters.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Animal Haters....

or people who aren't animal lovers are so difficult to deal with. I just got a puppy. That brings the grand total of pets in my home to 2. I've got 2 dogs. I had to hear at length how I was throwing my life and money away on pets. Really? And all I could think was, how will she respond when i've got multiple cats? And how will she even be able to take being able to visit my home when I have so many pets?

My husband and I have already had the "how many" talk and have both agreed on a number were comfortable with. So it's not even an IF but a WHEN I have multiple cats. I just don't even really know what to say to someone like that.

JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I have 14 animals in my home and my partner and I are comfortable with that. Its a mix of animals but my family think im bonkers. None of them understand why I love animals so much and I used to explain why until I was blue in the face but they still dont get it so now I just remind them that its my house, my life, my money and my happiness.

I dont get people who have animals but dont care/like for them.. Selfish
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think this is something most of us here go through, I have 1 dog and three cats. When people found out we got the first cat they were like 'ok...', second cat 'omg you have a zoo' third cat most of my/bfs family went on a rage saying we must give the newest one up ASAP and then one of bfs family members went to insult the newest cat saying she's too fluffy and the ugliest cat she ever saw(was talking bout the ragdoll in my sig) and we should try and make money off of her to sell her. We stopped talking to her for a few months until she stopped being an idiot but we still get flak from it. In September we were at my cousins wedding and the brides mom(my aunt) went on and on how we are over run by animals and our house will be gross and destroyed. I walked away. You can't listen to these people... Obviously they aren't animal lovers like we are and therefore will not understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

In addition to Midnight, the wild cat, I can't even count the number of animals for whom I provide assistance. I have two heated water points for the deer herd and put out corn every day. Numerous bird feeders, and seeds scattered for the squirrels, rabbits, etc. I even feed Santa's reindeer!

Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I used to have a friend that would bad mouth animals. She literally hated all animals. She went to one of my friends houses to visit and left because my friend had a shiz tzu. Lola was the most well behaved dog on top of being adorable. Needless to say, I am no longer friends with that person. I cannot have a person in my life who hates animals. I grew up in a house where we always had animals, but never more than three at a time. I suspect my mother wasn't too keen on animals, but my dad always allowed us to have them.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldtanker View Post
In addition to Midnight, the wild cat, I can't even count the number of animals for whom I provide assistance. I have two heated water points for the deer herd and put out corn every day. Numerous bird feeders, and seeds scattered for the squirrels, rabbits, etc. I even feed Santa's reindeer!

That's really neat. Is that the closest you've ever gotten to the deer? My husband's grandfather used to feed raccoon's like people in New York feed pigeons. Even the mama raccoon's would go up to him with their babies while he was sitting on his bench in the middle of the yard and take food from his hand. It's one of those things I wished I had gotten to see in person.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkabounce View Post
I have 14 animals in my home and my partner and I are comfortable with that. Its a mix of animals but my family think im bonkers. None of them understand why I love animals so much and I used to explain why until I was blue in the face but they still dont get it so now I just remind them that its my house, my life, my money and my happiness.

I dont get people who have animals but dont care/like for them.. Selfish
What makes up the fourteen? I know if we had more money and more time we'd probably have about that many animals. I've literally had dreams of coming home from work to almost a dozen cats meeting me at the door. Oh what sweet dreams.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I get the same negativity. We have 4 cats, 10 hermit crabs (in a 60 gallon tank), and a leopard gecko (in a 29 gallon tank in the kids' room). I usually don't tell people about anything else but the cats and they start getting all weirded out about it. I just don't talk too much about pets to people I know don't understand or will make derogatory comments.

I had a close friend recently say that it was ridiculous for me to buy such a big fish tank for a bunch of snails. I just looked at him and said "why? will you be paying for it?" and that ended the conversation very abruptly.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

I once had the manageress of the pet store I worked in say that my house must stink because I had four cats She hated ALL animals so lord knows why she worked in a pet shop! But having once been in her home which stunk of cigarette smoke from overflowing ashtrays I had great satisfaction in telling her that MY house was spotless in comparison to her midden! For some bizarre reason she barely spoke to me after that.....probably because it was true!

I've got no time for folk who hate animals....especially as I have seen so much cruelty inflicted on helpless animals in my time helping PARRT. My father-in-law likes to try to wind me up and go on about how folk would drown kittens in the past etc etc but I don't get drawn into an argument and give him that satisfaction....I just tell him to be nice or else

In my husband's first marriage he had an adopted son who died, aged five, from leukemia and so he never wanted children as he was terrified of going through that sort of pain ever again. Luckily for him I decided when I was 10 years old that I wasn't the broody sort (I'm 44 now) and children were not an option. But, of course, once folk hear that you don't have children but DO have cats and other animals you get all manner of heartless comments thrown at you! I don't hate children, I just never wanted one and even when my niece was born in 1992 I felt nothing! I loved to take her out and spoil her rotten etc but never once hankered after one of my own

Folk who don't share their lives with animals are missing SO MUCH.....I feel sorry for them really
Gillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOneMore View Post
What makes up the fourteen? I know if we had more money and more time we'd probably have about that many animals. I've literally had dreams of coming home from work to almost a dozen cats meeting me at the door. Oh what sweet dreams.
We have 3 cats, 3 rats, 2 Syrians, 1 bearded dragon, 4 goldfish and simon the water snail

People freak out about them all.. Even simon!
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement