Nasty tangles! - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I cut mats off Holly all the time. But you have to be very careful. I take a wider tooth metal comb and wedge it in between the mat and her skin, then cut the mat off the top of the comb. There may be a little matted fur left, but that usually combs out very easily once it's been cut. She has so much fur it's not even noticeable.
I like the comb idea. I wish I'd known it when I was clearing Missy's matts a couple of years ago. But does it have to be a metal comb?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Robin's tangles could be normal. There are some good suggestions posted. I like Doodlebugs'. Remember, if Robin objects, that you don't need to do all of them in one go. Missy had some nasty matts when I got her, and I took about two weeks getting rid of them. But now she seems to be happy they've all gone, and is quite patient when new ones start and I have to clear them.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
But does it have to be a metal comb?
I've never tried anything but metal. I would think that the metal tines would penetrate the base of the mat easier than plastic, sometimes it's a little tough to wedge it in. That is also the reason I use a wide tooth comb. But try it...whatever works....just to get something between the skin and where you are cutting to prevent cutting the skin.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsaidfed View Post
If may be true that they can, but the ones I've talked to won't. Even places that advertise as a "pet groomer" just do dogs. I asked one why they don't advertise as a dog groomer if they don't do other pets, and I think she just got annoyed with me. I'll keep looking I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Maybe they are afraid of getting bitten - a valid fear! I got bit once and ended up in the hospital for a week!! They had a hard time getting the infection under control and were talking amputation!!!

Try offering to muzzle your cat while they shave. A muzzle is harmless for the few minutes it takes to do the sani-trim and actually helps to calm the cat down. The process is in and out here.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kitten

This was a great thread for me. Charlie , the main coon mix I hope to adopt(as long as his FIV/FIP is neg)is full of everything from tangles to a mat that covers his rump. I spoke to a groomer recommended by my vet ( same parking lot) and of course I'm not rushing him there as soon as he comes home, I found a cat mat detangling comb on amazon. The first two weeks we will have bonding grooming sessions
dwhygienist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tom Cat

When I cut mats, I grab them between my fingers and start at the tip of the mat and slowly work my way towards the body. While doing this I try to spread the mats with my fingers to loosen them up. This way I never have to get right up to the skin where a disastrous situation could happen. I think the disastrous situations happen when people start at the base of the mat.
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I just had to comb out a couple VERY small mats from behind my little kitten's ears (he is a medium hair) today and I used a plastic comb. But they were very, very small. The only thing is that he got terrible static cling from it! LOL! His hair was standing on all ends when I got done, he looked ridiculous, but was none worse for the wear, LOL!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well,I cut out his tangles and he IS a much happier cat!
bluemilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement