Time spent... - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How many hours a day do you spend on your cat(s)?
less than an hour 1 4.17%
1-2 hours daily 7 29.17%
3-4 hours daily 6 25.00%
5-6 hours daily 4 16.67%
7-11 hours daily 2 8.33%
12+ hours a day 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'd say at least an hour per cat, we mostly just lie around and watch tv while petting them, occasionally I'll get out the laser toy or the fishing pole toy, but that's about once a week. It takes all of about 5 minutes a day cleaning boxes, and the feeding is maybe 10 minutes. I have 3 cats.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat

I spend about an hour a day doing nothing else but playing with the kitten, feeding, or grooming.. I was surprised to see that people spend more than 12 hours a day with their cats I first thought that maybe I am a horrible human for my kitten...

I think 1 hour is pretty good, when we play together, he gets to panting and tongue hanging out in about 15 minutes a few session like that in a day, and we are both happy. Then he is sleeping 75% of the day, and I have no idea what he is doing at night.. probably sleeping as well.
I do not count sleeping next to cat or sitting at my computer with a cat beside me as a quality time together... I do pet him or dangle a toy while watching a movie, but he is not receiving my 100% attention, so I didn't count that...
purr machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I never really check how much time I spent with ET except a 30min da-bird time and 5min of grooming time. Anytime he is awake and wants company or a chin rub, I try to accommodate.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I wake up, feed him breakfast, come home from work at 5:30 or so, clean the kitty litter, feed him dinner, then I'd play with him for 20 mins or so. After that it's all in the air. I try to train him to jump up on my lap. If I see he's just sleeping I think he might wanna sleep next to me on the chair or the couch so I try to coax him into doing so. Most of the time I'm successful (takes a bit of work tho). Plus he sleeps with me at night. So I could spend like all evening with my cat easily. When he plays by himself he meows so I feel bad for leaving him alone..even though thats just how he acts while he's playing lol.
AaronR1074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's hard to say. I have 5:
Missy is clingy
Winnie is very standoffish but likes to be in the same room as us
Zipper and Maddie are happy to be by my side on the couch
Jack just does his own thing
Three of them sleep with us (does that count?)

So it's not like I purposefully set out to "spend time" with them, or them with us. They are part of the family so they just mingle where we are if they want to and we cuddle or talk or just quietly enjoy each others company.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I probably used to spend on average about 1 1/2 hours/day with my 2 girls: maybe 30 minutes in total for feeding, changing the water, scooping the litterboxes, some time for playing, and the rest of it giving scratches, rubs, brushings, and generally having face time with them. When I was busy, they might have only gotten 15 mins or so with me.

Now that they're older and have medical conditions (both have high blood pressure, one is blind and in CRF, the other suffers from very frequent constipation), I spend easily 5-6 hours/day, 3.5 on preparing food (they only lick wet food so it's a whole process to get it smushy enough for them), 20-30 mins. getting meds ready, 30 mins. cleaning up after whoever's vomited or pooped out of her litterbox, about 45 mins. of quality time. I routinely work 8-11 hours/day, every day, including weekends, while school is in session, so playing tends to fall by the wayside. That's why it's good to have at least two kitties - they bother each other when they're bored.

However, I think my situation is fairly exceptional. Most kitties wouldn't take nearly that much time.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

When my cats want attention I give it to them. Moosey loves to love in the morning and at night when going to bed, but she isn't the most affectionate cat in the world, in fact, she always naps under our bed. Zigs loves to nap on you and lay on you, but both will nap alone away from us.

I try to play with them at least an hour a day, and they both sleep with us. On the weekends I usually stay home, so I spend those days with them.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Two hours of cat chores daily; once a week that increases to three hours for thorough cleaning of pans, etc. I am home a lot due to my disability and the cats are constantly on and around me all my waking hours; and it is not unusual for me to have three to eight of them on my king sized bed when I am in bed at night. I spend four hours a day in the birdroom doing chores and interacting with the birds and that is the only time I am not interacting with my cats.

Petting, grooming, taking to and playing with the cats as well as ambient time with them lying on or next to me. My lap is a conga line of cats coming and going getting pets and attention one on one.
Rosie, Dora, Sterling Silver,
Audie and Lillen. Also multiple
birds.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

3-4 hours in a given day, but I have 9 here right now (5 permanent, 4 fosters), so that's not much more time, per cat, than others spend. It varies a lot by cat (what they want/need based on their personality and health) and also day to day. Some days I'm so busy I barely have time to clean litters. And then on weekends I'll lay there snuggling with them for hours.

Tonight everyone got their flea treatment, so I spent 20 minutes tracking everyone down The youngest permanent kitty (10 months) is long haired, so I try to check him at least once a week for mats and make sure his coat gets taken care of. I spend the most time on the three foster kittens right now as I'm trying to get them well-socialized before they're adopted. My oldest girl has mouth/gum issues so I try to check her teeth a couple times a week. The mother of 2 of my fosters was spayed three weeks ago, so I've been checking her incision site to make sure she's healing well. My second youngest permanent girl, Daytona (just turned 1 year) is crazy and needs lots of exercise. I spend a while each day playing with her. One of my guys I only see once or twice a day when he feels like gracing me with his presence. It depends on the cat.
Venusworld21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement