What do you like about cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default What do you like about cats?

My hubby asked me this question and we had been having discussions on why I like cats and our discussion seemed to end no where.

In comparison to dogs
1) Cats can’t fetch slippers or newspapers like dogs
2) Cats aren’t as affectionate as dogs, They aren’t out to please human as much as a dog
3) Cats aren’t as loyal as dogs (read in a book that cats do pack their bags and leave home if they feel threatened in the house).
4) Cats are harder to train, unlike dogs
5) Cats can’t guard the house like a dog

It seemed to point to a fact that cats are incapable of most things we find in a dog, but yet why do we still like cats? And some have even more than 1. ET is not a lap cat, to me, this isn’t important as I wasn’t looking at cats as a cuddly pet that I can hold and cuddle like a dog.

Dogs still have a special place in my heart but what do I like about cats?
1) They are low maintenance pet
2) They are more independent and I can have my own space whenever they want to have theirs
3) They have such mesmerizing eye
4) They are clean and fastidious
5) They knead and purr and show their affection in different ways
6) They are less clingy compared to a dog

I know most of you have both dogs and cats, what do you like about cats then? If you can only choose between a dog and a cat, which would you choose? My hubby’s choice is a dog, while me, the choice is clear - I have a cat now. Would I still take another cat if ET passes away especially one I do not know at all? That I do not know, cos my favourite is still a dog.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I like that cats are cats and dogs are dogs. They don't have to have identical traits for me to love both.

A lot of cats can have more dog-like personalities where they fetch, love water, are extremely affectionate and follow you like a shadow.

They're still different species so overall dogs are more loyal and pack oriented, and if I could only have one, while more responsibility, I'd pick a dog. I love training, walking and interacting with them. Not that I don't love interaction with cats, but with cats it's more low key snuggle sessions.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I mean as far as pets go, I used to think myself a dog person, but I had never owned one, I've only owned cats. Yet, as I've seen myself spending more and more time with dogs, I just don't see myself as a dog person anymore. It's just not me, the doggy kisses, the barking, there's just all around more actual care involved with a dog, while I could spend that time loving a cat.

I do agree, cats have the most amazing eyes! And it's funny you should mention the guarding, we used to have a cat who guarded the house from anyone she thought was threatening us, and she could be pretty vicious about it too, but that was abnormal cat behaviour.

As far as cuddling goes, dogs may give more in terms of cuddling, but I prefer a cat cuddle session because they just get comfortable and then they move no more, ready for lots of love, and they tend not to make you uncomfortable while they're at it.

And of course, me not being into a lot of noise, I can't stand the barking. It's ok in small amounts, but I don't think I'd be able to live with it.

I mean, I've never owned a dog, and maybe my opinion would change if I did, but I'm a cat person, and I'd rather them, especially since they suit my lifestyle much better. I dunno, I'm just a cat person, I can't imagine owning a dog.

Last edited by marie73; 01-09-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Jakiepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The low maintainance is definitely a plus. I have had both dogs and cats, but never a dog that was mine to take care of. Having a pet is proven to reduce stress and I love that cats are independent. I love dogs, don't get me wrong, I have had atleast 5-6 in my life, many of which I still have a special place in my heart for, but cats are so much easier.

Want to go out of town for a few days? With a dog someone HAS to come over several times a day, with a cat, all they need is once a day and they are fine.

I would love to have a dog some day, but right now, I am all about the cats. Working 40 hours a week and living in an apt that doesn't allow dogs pretty much makes that decision for me. Haha
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's like comparing apples to oranges. I like cats because they are cats. I like dogs because because they are dogs...I just don't want one. I LIKE not having to go for walks on rainy cold days. I LIKE having something that weighs less than 10 pounds sleeping with/on me. I could go on and on, I just prefer cats. Haven't had a dog in almost 40 years.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

haha...I'm not comparing between different breed of dogs or different breed of cats. I am comparing between 2 house pets, we can also compare, fishes and cats. I like fishes too, cos I do spend hours looking at them and they can be very therapeutic.

I post this cos my hubby was comparing between taking in a dog and a cat and in his opinion, cats are 'good for nothing', lol, so I ended up asking myself too, why a cat?
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I like dogs and my first pet was a dog, that I loved dearly, but after taking a cat I became total cat lover.

I love cats because:
1. they are such individuals
2. they are beautiful - I personally think that cats (wild, domestic, all of them) are the most beautiful and graceful animals on earth
2a. they have the most beautiful eyes
3. if they show you love, it's always done in such a sweet delicate way
4. they are clean
5. they are low maintenance compared to other pets, dog for instance

Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I must admit to not being a dog person. I don't like being licked, I don't like being followed everywhere, and I can't stand the smell. Even dogs who are kept very clean have a dog smell. If a dog licks me, the first thing I do is wash whatever part of my body got licked. Then there are the dogs that just yip constantly.

It's not that I dislike dogs. I think some are beautiful, and some are very well-trained. My downstairs neighbor had a dog who was super well-behaved and virtually never barked. But I prefer to admire them from far away enough that an excited dog doesn't jump all over me and kiss my face. "Augh! I've been kissed by a dog!"

So why do I like cats, especially in comparison to dogs? I think cats have more personality, they're more fun/entertaining to watch, they're better looking (I mean the whole species is more consistently beautiful - but of course that's subjective), they're more pleasant to pet, and they seem to have their own ideas about what their lives should be like - they're not so dependent on humans. Dogs seem to live by trying to please their owners. I've always wondered what dogs do all day when their owners are gone. Do they play? I'm sure both dogs and cats do a lot of sleeping, but I know my cats have been active while I'm out, because cat toys are in strange places, or are completely missing.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

As others have said, it's apples to oranges.

"Everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him."

Dogs make you feel special. Cats keep you humble. I always try to own at least one of each.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

1. They have soft - dry - fur, which lends itself to petting. Usually when I pet a dog I find myself with this oily residue on my hands. Ick. Not all dogs are like that, but from my experience, most are.
2. Cats don't have loud barks. I should put this as #1. There's nothing I hate more than loud, barking dogs.
3. I like the size of cats. Whenever I see someone with a large dog like a Great Dane, the appeal is beyond me. It's like the dog is the master and the person the pet! The only dog breed which seems to be about the right size for me would be a Cocker Spaniel.
4. I like the individual personalities, and the fact they don't blindly do whatever you tell them to. Their personalities are more like people, frankly.
5. I just find them to be cuter than dogs.
6. Lower maintenance.
7. Less smell.

Last edited by Kitty-The-Cat; 01-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement