Need Opinions On Vet Bill Fund - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Need Opinions On Vet Bill Fund

My husband and I are considering having a fund for residents who can't pay for vet bills,but have found that it is a lot more involved than we first thought. I was thinking about contacting my local vet to let him know that we are available to help families who can't afford to pay the entire bill for emergency care only. I don't think I want to be on the 'front end' of screening people who need the help. I am also trying to avoid those who can afford vet care,but figure 'why buy the cow?'

This whole idea came about after I've seen a number of animals turned in to the shelter or just left the suffer in the yard because their owners are struggling and can't afford vet care.

A lot of vets in my area won't even treat your animal if you can't pay in full. They do this because of how many times they have been burned. Some people don't understand why more vets don't do a 'treat now,pay later plan.' As much as vets love animals,they still have to get paid for their services.

Last edited by gharrissc; 01-21-2013 at 06:47 PM.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Very cool that you want to help out like this. My vet actually has a fund set up for exactly something like this. People can donate to it and she will match a certain amount each year. Then they use their discretion as to how the funds are used.

I think that the only way something like this can work is for it to be a regular donation of an agreed upon amount rather than a case by case situation. I can't imagine the vet wanting to call you and say "these people need $100" or "these other people need $500".

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

How about giving a monetary donation and a donation of food and other items to a shelter? I brought a feral to one and was going to foster it. They spayed and treated her for little cost to me. We fell in love with her and kept her soon after we took her home. Then a year later she had an intestinal blockage which my vet took care of and we paid several hunderd dollars for this treatment. She has been fine since and we mix miralax in her canned food.

Seeing your post reminds me that I want to repay the shelter with what I mentioned above. Perhaps this will work for you also?
Cat'sHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I agree that having the vet screen for you is a good idea. Perhaps make x amount of dollars available to them and tell them to use it at their discretion. They would be able to tell who really needs the help more easily than you, and also they would have a more thorough understanding of the procedures and risks. (Yeah, that $10,000 surgery might be fluffy's best shot, but is it practical?)

To stretch the money further, you could also ask the vet to limit the per pet donations, if you'd like. Say, here's $1500. Use it at your discretion, but only up to $100 per animal, so it will go to help at least 15 animals.

The hardest part of this would then become finding a vet you really trust to hold the funds.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Sounds like you want to do something like The Pet Emergency Fund. Maybe you could contact them and get some ideas.
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

This is such a wonderful idea. I would start with calling your vets office, I'm sure the staff would have a good idea how you go get something like this set up.
CrazyCatLady8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement