Building your own kitty jungle gym... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Talking Building your own kitty jungle gym...

I've got a bee in my bonnet and want to build a kitty jungle gym for my kitten.

It can't be too big as we live in a smallish apartment. So it wont be very extravagent.

I've looked all over the net for inspiration. I read in a few things that a good starting block would be to use a small and sturdy 2 or 3 step ladder, Then just make sure it's secure and well weighted at the base. Then add on from there.

I was thinking of using materials like sisal twine and carpet to cover it.

Can anyone tell me, from those who have these jungle gyms, what parts their furry loved ones enjoy the most/least and any tips, do's/don'ts etc!

Thanks, look forward to the feedback!
GSRit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My cats are funny, in that they've never been particularly interested in kitty playgrounds, so unfortunately, I can't offer much in the way of advice. I have been thinking of trying to introduce something like that again, since we've added two new cats to the mix, so I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing any photos of your set up once you begin construction.
dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Will definitely post pics once(if) it's done. It's really going to be a small thing, nothing fancy.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My suggestion is to build a tall one. The hottest spot on my cat tree is the highest platform. My cats like to stand there and look down upon me. Also tall sisal posts are definitely good idea. My cats like to extend their body while scratching
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Somebody posted a great pic of one that he built. I can't find it so maybe he will provide a link to the thread. Meantime here is what I came up with:

Google
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Many cats have many different tastes. All of my four prefer different ways of playing and relaxing. Some cats love heights (tree instincts), some like to be low and hidden (bush instincts).

Trial and error is going to be your best bet.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I didn't build this but hopefully it will help for ideas. A local retired guy makes these and my cats love it. He uses screws not nails and glues all the carpet down. As far as what my cats like best - it's 6' tall and right next to a window, so the top part it obviously a favorite perch and sleeping spot. All of it gets used for playing but the very top is the preferred napping spot. Hopefully this helps somewhat for ideas at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Building your own kitty jungle gym...-img_1380.jpg   Building your own kitty jungle gym...-img_1392.jpg  
Tiliqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks so much for your input! @ GhostTown, I guess it's going to be trial and error. I do, however, think my little chap would enjoy a high structure as he seems to have taken to climbing our curtains! He's so quick and gets up to about 3/4's of the way in a few seconds!

Found a guy who said he can give me some wood off-cuts! So that'll help alot!
@ Yingying...Definitely a tall structure!
@Marcia...I've exhausted google for hours on the pictures. Problem is now there is too much choice!
@Tiliqua...those kitties look like they are loving that tree!

So going to see what off cuts I get from this guy and take it from there! Found a Sisal Twine supplier too!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I saw a great TV show that highlighted pet's places to live. A couple had put an exhaustive series of small shelves that looked like they were floating all over the top of the walls so the cats could travel the room without using the floor. It was very cool! They even installed through passes to go from one room to another. It was really amazing. I'm not that dedicated but am somewhat handy so I'm thinking of making my own.

Tiliqua that is VERY nice!! My compliments to your neighbor. What does he charge for that?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have heard of those wall things! Look pretty cool, but I'd never go that far...I think my cat would jump on my head if I had those!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement