Should I or shouldn't I? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Should I or shouldn't I?

So the other day I was browsing kijiji(like craig's list to you Americans) tormenting myself looking at cat ads, lol. Anyways I came across a Ragdoll one... who looks identical to my ex breeder cat Sasha. The person said they came from the same area sasha did and thats the only registered breeder that I know of there. So I emailed them and we figured out that my sasha is her mom. So cool. I'd love to get her but I'm at my current limit at 3 and if I did get another it would have to be a boy since I already have 3 girls.

Anyways to the point of my post. She is selling my cat's kitten(well the cat is now 2.5 years old) and as well as a 5 month old kitten from the same cattery(not my cat's baby). She is selling them not for cheap and in the breeder's contract is states if you cannot keep the cat for whatever reason, it must go back to her(the breeder). Obviously this person is trying to get some of their money back and part of me wants to alert the breeder that she is rehoming her cats, but a bigger part of me says keep my trap shut and stay out of it. Anytime I try to do the right thing it turns around and bites me in the bum. I'd be more concerned if she was threatening to take them to the shelter but it seems like she is wanting her money back... I mean she just got the kitten a month ago... why is she selling her already? What do you guys think?

Last edited by 3furbabies; 02-01-2013 at 10:16 AM.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

If it were me, I would alert the breeder, but try to do it in a non-accusatory way. Like, "Hey, I noticed this ad for a couple of the cats you bred, and I thought maybe you would want to contact the owner and work something out." Then I would just leave it at that, and let the breeder decide how to proceed.

The thing is, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy for the owner here. She posted the information on a public site. Anyone can see Kijiji. The breeder might have stumbled across it herself. So you aren't spilling any secrets here. Nothing was told to you in confidence.

Cats can find great homes through sites like Kijiji and Craigslist, but it's not a guarantee. If the contract isn't being upheld, I think the breeder has the right to know that. If she decides to just let it go - and she very well might - then fair enough, but at least no one pulled a fast one on her.

The Boys: Maisie (age 8, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 2, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have a feeling she knew she was in the wrong. She was beating around the bush as to the exact breeder... She technically didn't admit to it but I know for sure it is that breeder by how she described things. I may wait and see if I can get her to say the catterys name first so she can't say I am assuming things. I could tell she didn't even want to admit my cat was the mom even though she knew she was. Not that I care per se, I just don't want to see these cats at a shelter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I'd send a casual message as mentioned above.

You could even make a dummy email account if you wanted to reduce the chances of it getting back to you.

It's sort of not your place, but at the same time it's your cat's family! I'd want to make sure that they're taken care of, and if you trusted your breeder, that's probably the best place for them to go back to.

rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
I have a feeling she knew she was in the wrong. She was beating around the bush as to the exact breeder... She technically didn't admit to it but I know for sure it is that breeder by how she described things. I may wait and see if I can get her to say the catterys name first so she can't say I am assuming things. I could tell she didn't even want to admit my cat was the mom even though she knew she was. Not that I care per se, I just don't want to see these cats at a shelter.
Honestly, I don't think that's even necessary. A good breeder will be able to recognize her cats, if you could.

I would just bring it to the breeder's attention and let her handle it as she sees fit. There's no need for you to involve yourself further.

The Boys: Maisie (age 8, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 2, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

As a former breeder, I would definitely want to know that a buyer did not fulfill her contract by contacting the breeder first. Inform the breeder that you think it's her Ragdoll on kijiji and then leave it up to the breeder.

Gotta admit I peruse kijiji too from time to time to see if there are Devons or Manx.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I second all the posts above. I would let the breeder know about the listing. it's a public site, the breeder could have found this add himself/herself.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think the problem solved itself. She did admit to the cattery and that my cat is infact her cats mom (on the registration). She also said she is too lazy to remove the ad and says she doesn't think she can rehome anymore.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I also should mention who knows if she is telling the truth or not .

Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I agree with the others even though I have never heard of the site you mention and would never even think of buying a cat on the internet.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement