Eating your food after your cat nibbled on it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Eating your food after your cat nibbled on it?

I'm super weird about what I put in my mouth. Do you eat food after you cat licked or stuck his nose in it (your food, not his). I often throw out the toast or piece of cheese or whatever.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't let my cats in the room when I'm eating; it's easier for everyone's frustration level that way.

However, I do sometimes have a cat stick a tongue in my drink (especially tea) and I do go on and finish it. Why waste a good cup?

Zephyr also likes to stick his tail in my tea for some reason. No idea the reasoning behind that one.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 7, adopted 2006,)
and Bentley (age 3, adopted 2013)
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

When Bandit was still alive, I couldn't eat saltines or potato chips with him nearby- he had to lick them. I've eaten after my cat more than once. Not if they take a huge bite out of the food, but if they happen to lick it, it doesn't bother me much. I guess it's because I've had cats since I was really little, at an age where you really don't care if the cat licked it, you're gonna eat it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeney Green View Post
Zephyr also likes to stick his tail in my tea for some reason. No idea the reasoning behind that one.
Bandit used to do the same thing, and stuck his paws in soda, too. I think the soda was because he liked the feeling of the fizz, but I have no idea why cats seem to like tea so much lol
BanditsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsMom View Post
When Bandit was still alive, I couldn't eat saltines or potato chips with him nearby- he had to lick them. I've eaten after my cat more than once. Not if they take a huge bite out of the food, but if they happen to lick it, it doesn't bother me much. I guess it's because I've had cats since I was really little, at an age where you really don't care if the cat licked it, you're gonna eat it!

Bandit used to do the same thing, and stuck his paws in soda, too. I think the soda was because he liked the feeling of the fizz, but I have no idea why cats seem to like tea so much lol
One time I dropped a potato chip and Missy pounced and licked it.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I remove the part that the cat's licked. I can't leave glasses of water unattended though because Dante likes to drink out of/stick his paws in them. My cats will follow me around when I have herbal tea, but that's because it contains catnip.

dt8thd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ha! I have a dilemma about this right now. I have a pan of homemade caramels that was sitting on the counter yesterday waiting for me to cut them up into pieces and dip in chocolate. They were sitting off to the side from where I was working on something else and somehow Holly managed to sneak up and start licking the top of them. So they're back in the fridge waiting for me to decide what to do about them. The funny thing is that I was supposed to take them to a friends house last night...when I told them what happened they all said "you should have brought them...we would have never known, but heck, even if you told us we wouldn't have cared...they're your homemade caramels! Even covered in cat spit isn't enough to make us not eat them."

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I don’t have a problem unless it’s wet. I might not eat it if they licked it but a bite doesn’t bother me, although I don’t let them near my food while eating or on the table.

My friend would allow his kitten drink milk out of his cereal bowl while he was eating at the table. I have to say that was a bit too much
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Eating your food after your cat nibbled on it?

Fair game to eat in my opinion.

My bigger concern is that my cats tail is SO fluffy he frequently doesn't realize what it's getting into. I can't reprimand since the rest of him was a foot away minding his own business - he'd have no idea what he did wrong. If I can see hair on my food I'm done. If I don't actually see hair, I just blow on it and that magically makes it ok again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Toby really doesn't pester me when I'm eating,this is more about if I turn my back on something and he gets into it when I'm not looking.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My only kitty that likes human food is samir. He loves rainbow sherbet so we have shared a cup many a time.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement