How many cats are too many? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default How many cats are too many?

I would like to get an opinion as to how many cats are too many to have in a house, as indoor only cats.

My house is two story with 4 bedrooms upstairs and 2 bathrooms upstairs, plus the hallway. They would have access to all of those rooms. Downstairs I have 3 fairly large rooms (living, dining and family room), a bathroom, the kitchen and two hallways. There is a bedroom downstairs, but that's my elderly father's room and it's rather messy so I'm not sure the cats would even want to go in there. The basement is completely off limits.

I have and am trying to make the rooms more cat friendly. I have some sort of perch in most of the windows. In one bedroom there is a bunk bed and the cats like to get on the top. In another bedroom I have it setup so that the bookcases go around the room so the cats can walk on the tops of the bookcases. Basically, I try to make everything suitable and enjoyable for the cats even if it means inconveniencing myself.

Unfortunately, I don't have many places for litterboxes. I currently have 6 of them. I don't think I could squeeze another one in anywhere. I know the litterbox rule (one for each cat, plus one extra) but don't know if that's really necessary if they're kept clean.

I have found that my current cats each seem to have their own room. They spend most of their time in that room but they do go to other rooms or areas of the house at certain times of the day.

I think the key thing is to make sure that all the cats get along with each other. So how many cats would be too many for my house? Any opinions? I'm sure there are at least a few people who have or had more than 10 cats in the house, so I'd like to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have a 2100sf house with a sometimes guest BR, but most of the time it is the litter box room. When we do get company I have a queen size blow up bed but I've only used it twice in 10 years. I am home all the time and have 5 indoor cats - no babies (kittens). 5 is my limit, any more and I can't keep up with the messes, any less and I feel the loss. This has worked well for me.

If you have one that does not get along and causes an uproar then you have one too many. All 5 of mine agree to disagree and keep their distances from each other, and only 2 of them are close at all.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It's hard to set a "cats per square foot" rule of living spaces. One of the most important things is providing vertical space, which it sounds like you're doing.

One thing to consider is if you license your cats with the local government, you may have a legal limit. For example the City ordinance here allows for no more than 5 cats, except with a special license that requires a higher fee and annual home inspections.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yar, I wouldn't go by square foot. First consideration would be how many I could legally have so I wouldn't get slammed by having to rehome one of my babies.

Then, I'd go by how many I could afford to take care of in the manner i think they deserve and how much time I could devote to each one. If they aren't getting the attention and care they deserve, I have too many.

That said, my max is two unless somthing dire happens and there's a cat I can't say no to (and even that would hopefully be temporary). I can't afford to feed another one and MowMow demands SO much attention I already feel sorry for Book some times.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
Old 05-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

How many depends on you and the cats involved. If you feel like the daily care and i mean emotional care as well is to much then you have to many. If you feel like everyone's needs are being taken care of then your at a good number.

The rule of thumb for litterboxes is however many cats you have x1 BUT if all cats are using the litterboxes properly and they are all cleaned regularly then what you have is fine. The rule of thumb is there for the homes that need it but if you can make it work with less then your fine. If you start to have litterbox problems the first thing you should (probably) try is to put in more boxes.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I get some people telling me my house is big enough to accommodate another 1 or 2 cats, but to me, its not the space, its the finance, time and energy. I do not have the energy to handle more than 1 and especially the possibility of 2 feuding cats. Personally I feel I also need to consider my own finances, medical costs can be alarming.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's really not a question anyone can answer for you. This thread will tell you how many cats some of our members actually have, and why they don't have more.

http://www.catforum.com/forum/36-cat...-you-live.html

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread