Cat box in laundry room; does your cat have its own room? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cat box in laundry room; does your cat have its own room?

So, we are moving into a new house soon. Yay! With it comes a question of where I want my cat's "space" to be. We cannot have her sleep with us due to my husband's allergies and if she is left out at night, she cries and digs at the door. So, ever since we got her, she "goes to bed" in her own room with her litter box, comfy bed, and bedtime snack. She's never minded this system and usually starts bugging us around bedtime until we go through our nightly routine.

Up until now, her room has been our second bedroom in our apartment. It's comfy and has a big window she can look out of. But, the litter is a problem. I've tried many so called dust free varieties and found all have some amount of dust. When the litter box is in a room doubling as an office, the dust gets on everything (books, computers, etc) and is really hard to keep clean.

We are thinking about keeping her in the laundry room at our new house. It's big enough for all her stuff, and there won't be lots of small items to constantly wipe cat litter off of. There is a window, although the view is of the side of the neighbor's house. She would only be in there at night;the rest of the time she would have the run of the house, which is much more space than she has now. I'm just worried that she will be uncomfortable, or scared of the washing machines, and we will have problems.

Anyway, I always set out to ask a simple question and write a novel, but here's my question: do you keep your cat's litter box in the laundry room and has it caused any issues (I.e. fear of the machines)?

Also, I would be interested to know if anyone else has a separate room for their cat at night?

Last edited by GingerZ; 06-14-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
GingerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The only concern with the laundry room would be if the washing machine (or water heater, or furnace, as they are the same room in a lot of houses) can sometimes be noisy or scary for a cat and cause litterbox aversion.

If it only has the laundry machines in it, you should be fine as long as you don't have them running when she's in there? We've often kept the litterbox in the laundry room when I've lived in houses. (Now we just use a small storage room as the "cat room" - it keeps us from accumulating too much stuff haha).

My sister's cat is confined to the (enormous) laundry room at night time with food on one end and his box on the other. He's very old and sometimes pees himself in his sleep. The floor there is all lino, plus his washable bed, so it all stays as clean as it can get. I can't tell you if he has any aversion to it because he has other issues that make the box hit n' miss for him, sorry.
Jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just a thought, have you tried the litter boxes that are covered on the top with a flap for the cat to get I and out? That may help with the dust problem. Like the poster above I have a kitty with problems (Manx syndrome) and he sleeps in the garage (easy to clean). He has his bed, food water, litter box (hit or miss because of his problem). He is not afraid of the washer or dryer. I have found him on top of the car watching a load tumbling around in the dryer! You may want to make the laundry room as comfortable as possible, stay in there with her for a while and maybe feed her there in the beginning so she gets used to her new sleeping area. I hope it all works out. Please let us know.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My laundry room is my primary foster room and all my babies stay in there. I have to do laundry sometime though, and so once a week they get to put up with the noise. I generally sit in there with them the first few times. Usually after 5-10 minutes they've forgotten that it's even on and are happily playing again. If your cat is only going to be in there at night, can you make a point of doing laundry before bedtime? My guys have never given a hoot about the washer/dryer when they aren't on.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think it's fine to have them sleep there at night. My two boy cats have their own room they sleep in at night. Stephano would be up and into everything all night, so that is one reason why he is put up at night. My other cat, Beep, is out all night while the boys are up (she can't be around other cats she is vicious). I think it is perfectly fine to put cats up at night, it teaches them that it is not acceptable to run around tearing up the house all night, waking people up.

Have you considered the Breeze litter box? It would be great for someone with allergies. It does not use traditional litter, but has plastic pellets, that sit on top of a grate, and the pee goes through and is absorbed into a very absorbent pad. There is no litter tracking and no dust. You do have to be diligent at scooping the poop out asap, if you are not that kind of person to scoop it at least daily, or when they do it, this is not for you, but if you are, it is wonderful. For one cats, you have to change the absorbent pad weekly, I have to change it every 4-5 days for the one that both of my boys use. They do have another box with feline pine, but they both do use the breeze. I love it. There is no pee clumps and no odor at all, until you open the tray to change the pad, then you just spray it down with some all natural cleaner, wipe it with a paper towel, and the pellets last a month. Every month I hose the whole thing out and put in new pellets. I have two and I love them. They do take a bit of coaxing to get your cat to use the new litter box, but I managed to convince the worlds most stubborn cat to use it and now she loves it. It took about a month, but it's pretty easy, and they tell you exactly how to do it. You should look it up on Amazon and read the reviews. I love mine.
howsefrau32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats will get used to the laundry room noises in no time. Sounds like a great plan. My son keeps his cat in there at night and it works out well.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Laundry rooms, I'm beginning to think, are just code for the cat's room in human speak LOL

When my kittens were young they started out in the laundry room. And, like suggested, I didn't run the washer and/or dryer at night, while they <cough> slept.
They did just fine.

You might want to not clean her bedding in when you first set it up (familiarity) and, perhaps a little radio playing soft elevator music, on low, for comfort.
Just a suggestion, it might be soothing.

Like Jetlaya67 suggested, a covered box with a cat flap opening. If the laundry room doesn't work out, the box might make another room more workable.
I use one of those and they really do reduce "litter spray" and "dusk kick up".

If you have a thing about close boxes harboring smells, you can always remove the lid for a half hour in the morning to "air" it out.
If the box has a filter, the filters work great and there is no need for "airing".

Good luck and happy moving into your new home
Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My cat is only 7 weeks old, so if we confine him in a room he goes crazy crying after we shut the door. I currently have all his stuff close to my desk in my office and at night we just shut the bedroom doors so he can't get in the bedroom and leave him the run of the house. He tends to only stay in that room, or another part of the house if people are there. He is very attached to people and during the day he will never be in a part of the house if people are in a different part, so at night he tends to just stay in my office and sleep and/or play, after he gets done crying when we shut the bedroom door. My wife won't let him on the beds, hence shutting the bedroom doors at night.
CharlesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesD View Post
My cat is only 7 weeks old, so if we confine him in a room he goes crazy crying after we shut the door. I currently have all his stuff close to my desk in my office and at night we just shut the bedroom doors so he can't get in the bedroom and leave him the run of the house. He tends to only stay in that room, or another part of the house if people are there. He is very attached to people and during the day he will never be in a part of the house if people are in a different part, so at night he tends to just stay in my office and sleep and/or play, after he gets done crying when we shut the bedroom door. My wife won't let him on the beds, hence shutting the bedroom doors at night.
7 weeks old is barely old enough to leave momma!!! No wonder he cries, he is virtually an infant and very, very scared of the big bad world!!! He won't run around in the house because he is still so insecure at that age. PLEASE treat him as you would any infant and be mindful that although he is a cat, he is still a tiny frightened baby...afraid of being alone.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
7 weeks old is barely old enough to leave momma!!! No wonder he cries, he is virtually an infant and very, very scared of the big bad world!!! He won't run around in the house because he is still so insecure at that age. PLEASE treat him as you would any infant and be mindful that although he is a cat, he is still a tiny frightened baby...afraid of being alone.
Yes, I totally agree, I know people with cats older than that, but still kittens, that have gotten hurt (or worse ) from having the run of the house. Chewing electrical wires, hanging themselves in blinds, getting stuck in something and smothering. You would not leave an infant out to roam the house, and you should not a kitten. A bathroom or a bedroom, if you've made sure that you have checked the blinds, unplugged cords, and baby proofed the room, would be best. It is not cruel, it is for their own good.

Years ago a friend left their puppy out of his crate and came home to find that he had gotten his head stuck in his water bowl and died. It was a home made bowl from the bottom of a 2 litter bottle I always feel like crating your pet when they are young is the opposite of cruel, it is the loving thing to do, to protect from harm.
howsefrau32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement