A Question for Sewers: Shoulder Cat Shoulder Pads? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

A Question for Sewers: Shoulder Cat Shoulder Pads?

When I was growing up I had a big black cat who loved to ride on my shoulders. My grandmother, seeing all the scratches on my back from his claws, made me set of stuffed-denim "shoulder protectors". They looked a bit like hockey gear, or maybe a knight's shoulder armour. They were very comfortable, light and helped Blackness keep a good grip without slicing me to smithereens.

My grandmother (and Blackness) is long dead, so she is not likely to make me another one However, I have a new kitten (unnamed) who has already shown a strong desire to ride on shoulders. I do a lot of things with the cats in my life - kitten classes, cat agility, etc- so having him be able to hang out on my shoulders while we are doing stuff together would be very useful. I'd like to teach him that he can ride the shoulder pads, not bare shoulders- like I did with Blackness. If I'm wearing the pads: come on up! No pads, no shoulder.

Has anyone seen a fabric pattern similar to this idea, or seen something similar for sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Cool Cat

What were the pads attached to - did your grandma make a harness type thing that kept the pads on, on top of whatever clothes you were wearing?

I'm fairly handy at making patterns - my forte is stuffed animals, but I might be able to give you a few ideas or point you in the right direction.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM
Jr. Cat

I think if I wanted something like that I would speak to a custom leather worker who could make it for me. They could make something that will cover both shoulders, the back of your neck, and strap on in a way that will keep it steady without choking you. I do a lot of sewing myself, but think this would be something better tackled in a more sturdy medium.

Not sure how old your kitten is, but Taco showed a great tendency toward being a shoulder cat when he came home at 4 weeks. He would never hesitate to climb me to get up. I was thrilled, my grammy had a shoulder cat when she was a girl. But Taco pretty quickly outgrew the tendency, so I'd wait to invest money until you know if he's going to stick with it or not. I also found that he had no issues with clinging on with trimmed nails, and as long as they were lightly trimmed he never left more than a few barely pinkish scratches that didn't hurt at all. (which is saying something because my medical condition causes me to feel pain out of all proportion to an injury so any pain whatsoever is pretty much crippling)

Taco and ChaChi
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

It was very much like a pair of 80's shoulder pads, but larger, and had backpack-like straps across the chest and under the arms. It worked great! I also found that Blackness had a much easier time balancing on the pad than on a slippy t-shirt or my bare shoulder.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about encouraging the kitten to be a shoulder cat: I'm an animal trainer by profession I'm hoping to give him something with better grip and also save my skin if he decides to bail for some reason. Especially since I take the cats everywhere: shopping, the beach, walks in the park, etc (safely on a harness, of course!).

I'm thinking... maybe one of those velcro shoulder supports? Like the ones you'd use for a rotator cuff injury. Maybe sew an extra pad on it over each shoulder and across the back? Might be pretty sweaty, though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe suede... like a pirate's parrot patch!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Premier Cat

Why not just get an old jacket from a thrift shop and cut it to just cover your upper arms, neck and shoulders? You can fasten it at the neck. Maybe a denim jacket and you can leave the edges raw so they ravel naturally and look cool?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Premier Cat

Here's a linky: Fashion, Sewing Patterns, Inspiration, Community, and Learning | BurdaStyle.com

How sharp are kitty's claws?

Maybe this link may be more useful: www.medieval-shop.co.uk Well, maybe chain mail's not yet necessary...

Last edited by bluemilk; 08-10-2016 at 07:37 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Tom Cat

You could find something called a bolero. Sort of like a shrug. Could probably make it with a pattern or rig it up from a denim jacket. The ones I have seen do look a little feminine but hey, cats are the most important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page