Tidy Cats Formula Change - Need New Litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Tidy Cats Formula Change - Need New Litter

So, after noticing that my newest batch of Tidy Cats seemed oddly fragrant, I finally discovered that no, I was not just being paranoid; Tidy Cats has added scent to their once scent-free litter, which Ammy and Scamper absolutely cannot stand.

So, I am in desperate need of a new brand. I'd really love to try Dr. Elsey's, but I can only get it online right now and I'd really like to find something that I can go out buy straight away.

I need a clay litter that is affordable, unscented, fairly easy to find in stores, and has decent odor control. (I scoop 2x daily, but I'd like something that can last at least a week before needing to be tossed out completely)

So, I've narrowed it down to the following litters:

- Scoop Away: Super Clump Unscented Cat Litter
- Premium Choice: Carefree Kitty Unscented All-Natural Solid Scoop Cat Litter
- Arm & Hammer: Litter Clump & Seal Multi-Cat Litter

Has anyone used any of these litters before? And if so, what are your thoughts?
I'd also love to hear more brand suggestions, if anyone has any.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 11), Robin & Ammy (age 2)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Jr. Cat

I started using the sWheat Scoop for mine. It isn't a clay litter, but it does very well for clumping, low dust, it doesn't really have a smell, and (best of all IMO) it's flushable and better for he environment! It does a good job with odor too, but I got ahead and add some baking soda to help even more with that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Senior Cat

for the clay litter boxes, fresh step unscented extreme seems to work well.. (I can't handle any of the perfumed types).. for our very old cat Jolene (20yrs) she had problems with litter sticking in her fur and paws, we went to a large crystal non clumping type that seems to be the best foe the situation..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Premier Cat

Well, just FYI, not all of us are ok with flushing cat litter (even those that are flushable), those of us especially that live near waterways are advised not to do so:

Cat Litter: Is It 'Green' If You Flush It? - AOL

Pet Waste--Seattle Public Utilities

Best to check with your local area, though.

OP, I've used Premium kitty litter just recently, the granules were very fine, brownish grey. I didn't like it because it was very dusty and caused litter to scatter everywhere in my small apartment. Didn't like finding cat litter in the very far corners of my apartment.

I've always gone back to Dr. Elsey's in the blue bag. I first purchased it from my local Petsmart, but I just didn't like lugging 40 lb bags into my small upstairs apartment--clay litter can be very heavy, so I get it delivered with Amazon or Chewy's for now.

Another brand I like is Integrity Cat litter. I have purchased the multicat version of their clumping clay, it was also very good, but only available at my local independent pet stores. Again, I don't want to carry 40 lbs of it into my house, so I went back to Dr. Elsey's due to the free deliveries from the vendors that carry it. That brand would be my alternative if I couldn't get Dr. Elsey's, litter was whitish (zeolite), and minimal dust, imho.

http://www.integritylitter.com/

Haven't tried A&H, though I've been curious on that as well. I just don't want to be stuck with it for weeks of it if I don't like it is all...their reviews are always mixed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, my lease clearly states that I'm not allowed to flush "flushable" kitty litter down the toilet.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...ignature2.html
http://www.catforum.com/forum/50-ove...inderella.html
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM
Jr. Cat

My six indoor cats love Arm & Hammer. It does not irritate my eyes like the scented brands do.

Last edited by marie73; 08-21-2016 at 04:47 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you all - I'm going to start looking into those.

I'd love to be able to use a non-clay litter, but they're too expensive for us right now (my cats usually go through a lot of litter, especially since I don't like leaving the same batch in for more than 2 weeks) and I really don't want to make things worse for them by changing to a brand new type. We've only ever used clay litter with our kitties.

The flushing thing is definitely an issue, too. Our landlord probably wouldn't approve.

Proud parent of Scamper (age 11), Robin & Ammy (age 2)
At the rainbow bridge: Slippy, Faramir, Gabriel, Lucky
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Premier Cat

Does it have to be clay? Pine pellets are very effective, and there are less expensive brands!

btw, whatever happened to the litter with the glittery crystals? Remember the ad? 'Diamonds in our litter box guv?' 'This brand's the only way I agreed to share a house with YOU 2.'
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:46 PM
Premier Cat

I started my cats off of pine pellets (when they were kittens), and back then G started to urinate outside his box. After I tried Dr. Elsey's, he was so happy that my two would just sit and lie in their clean, new litter. G never had any accidents from there forward, so I'm not going back to pine pellets again anytime soon.

Never used crystal litter, but I hear that's not comfy on a cat's paws, nor do I think it's very sanitary since it doesn't really clump...but that's just me & my OCD.

I forgot to mention, I did try Scoop Away once, but that was also quite dusty. It also happened to be the scented one (wasn't labeled so I wasn't aware until I opened the package), and couldn't stand the smell of my cat's paws or faces after a few days, so I ended up donating the remaining 35 lbs of it to my local shelter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 PM
Cat

My cats love Dr. Elsey's too, and will lay in their box when it has fresh litter in it. I use the Precious Cat Ultra Scented formula (purple/fuchsia bag). I absolutely love it. It smells like almost nothing to me. The scented portion is only activated when it is wet after the cat uses it, but the smell is so minimal, and much more pleasant than any other scented litters I have smelled. It's extremely low on dust, clumps pretty tightly, etc.

I rotate between the Dr. Elsey's, Scoopaway and Arm & Hammer. I tried a scented version of Arm & Hammer litter once and it smelled so vile, I thought I was going to have to dump 40lbs of fresh litter because I could hardly stand the smell. I will only use unscented litter from A&H from here on out. I typically have all three of those litters on hand at all times and will even mix them occasionally. There are pros and cons to each one.

Arm & Hammer clumps the tightest in my opinion... the clumps dry very quickly. Scoopaway does a great job at masking odor immediately, but I have found that the clumps (even when they aren't fresh) aren't always totally dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page