Overwhelmed by cat hair - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Overwhelmed by cat hair

Without getting into why and wherefore, we have a large-ish (15x20ft.) room in our house that hasn't seen a vacuum cleaner in close to two years. Well, that, and our four wonderful cats still just *love* it in there of course.

The room has medium pile carpet and some furniture. The amount of cat hair that is clumped, loose, tumbleweed, or just mashed into the carpet, is unlike anything I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure our vacuum cleaner wouldn't survive ten square feet of that.

Apart from feeling overwhelmed and like a horrible person for neglecting this part of our (cats'!) home and probably creating an unhealthy situation, I'm also determined to fix this, but I haven't got a clue what to do. I can pick up some of the hair by hand, but that still leaves a lot behind, and a lot of it is "stuck" in dense sheets like very strong velcro into the carpet and certain furniture fabrics.

Help, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Cool Cat

A plastic leaf rake? Then some of that sticky-tape on a roller thing, for de-furring furniture? Also, a rubber glove can do wonderful things. Amazing how much hair will stick to old dishwashing gloves. They need not even be wet!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Jr. Cat

More power. Heavy duty shop vac.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Cool Cat

if replacing the carpet and furniture are out of the question, then running a good stiff hairbrush with plastic bristles (instead of the soft boar's hair or something) over them can get a lot of that ground-in hair out pretty nicely before you run a vacuum over it. I use this kind of hair brush on cat trees, blankets, and pillows all the time to get the extra hair off. a hairbrush will of course take a lot of time for a big room like that, but you don't have to do it all at once and totally wear yourself out. you can just do small sections at a time. or maybe you can figure out something similar that's bigger to make the job go quicker.

one of those "slicker" cat brushes would probably work really well, too, actually. those have really sharp metal tines and would grab the hair really well. but I'd say you want to avoid the kind of slicker or hair brush that has the little protective rubber or plastic nubs on each tine. those will probably NOT grab the hair off your rug and furniture as well.

have fun! it'll feel great one it's all cleaned up! your cats will be like, "hey! who moved my hairball??? I was saving that for the grandkids!"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:57 PM
Kitten

I'd go with the hairbrush idea, followed up with the shop-vac.

Cat hair is a mess sometimes. Good luck, and let us know what works!

Cats tread lightly but leave their pawprints on your heart.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Premier Cat

Is having it cleaned an option? Expensive, but maybe they can get it done in one day-then you can start fresh!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Two years, without vacuuming???? The amount of effort required to remove the hair out of the carpet would't be worth it.....better to have the carpet taken up, the floor well washed with bleach/disinfectant, let dry and then new carpet laid down. The problem with having old carpet and old cat hair is the great possibility of having flea eggs lying dormant in the carpet just waiting for the right heat and humidity conditions to hatch out. Flea eggs can be dormant for a year or more, and so can spores of Ringworm.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM
Tom Cat

Clear packing tape is cheap, certainly cheaper than sticky rollers. Put in in the applicator, drag a length across the carpet, smush it down with your hand, then pull up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 07:51 PM
Cat

How important is the carpet to you? If replacing it isn't in the cards, then I second the rake and/or hairbrush. The rake can loosen the matted spots, but you may have to cut some of those places out.

I'd first start with just vacuuming...over and over and over. Get up what CAN be gotten up first. Then you'll be able to better see the problem areas that may need to be raked and cut out. You can rent a rug dr. at most grocery stores for less than $30.

I'm going to assume that there aren't any issues with fleas or other parasites or urine. That would be a whole different issue.

Do what you can for now and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page