neighbor has to many cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default neighbor has to many cats

My neighbor has over 20 cats running around and they are pooping and urinating in my flower beds. How can i make them stay away? The smell is terrible. I have 3 cats myself, but they are all inside cats. This guy has a cat factory! I've had it! What should I do?
Rodiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Get a dog? I have no helpful solutions, but you have my sympathy...
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I talked the Haven Humane Society and they told me if I could catch them, they would try and adopt them. So I bought a Humane live cat trap
http://www.catforum.com/photos/showp...cat=500&page=1 and I'm going to turn them over.

HERE, KITTY, KITTY, KITTY

p.s. I'm not a cat hater.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Curious??? If you happen to live near a cat collector? Why wont the Humane Association come and investigate...
or all these cats well cared for?

I personally do not agree with allowing all those loose cats out...
but I suppose there is no way to stop it. Can you put up a fence?
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's not right that you are putting up with the neighbors' cats on your property. However, would you feel right about trapping them and giving them to a shelter? I'm guessing that this neighbor is trying to feed strays and ferals who have noone else to care for them. I wish you could speak with the people and explain that you appreciate their good hearts, but cannot have these cats on your property. They are her property, if she has been caring for them, so in many states trapping them would be considered stealing. My guess is that you are going to break someone's heart. I'm sorry for your situation, but I am rather upset by the "Here, kitty, kitty." The odds are that "kitty" will be dead in a few days, and this forum is an advocate for the care of cats, domestic and feral. No-kill shelters are almost always full.

In other places such as Akron, Ohio, what you are planning is encouraged, even if you have only one cat! These cats--and maybe your cat, are trapped and are dead within three days. The city council thinks it's funny that they have gathered so many pets, and yet keep the shelter empty! When you consider it from that point of view, that council is cruel. If you don't like your neighbor, call animal control, and in three days, their pet will be dead.

We have several members who take care of colonies of feral cats. They give of their own time and money to care for strays and ferals. Please think this over and try to find another way out of this problem. I'm so sorry you are in this position. I do hope you can speak to the people, and with the cooperation of the authorities, come to a more humane solution.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

try a pet store. I think that they usually have stuff that you can put on the ground that is both harmless and something that the cats will hate. my aunt had the same problem and she ended up in court with her nieghbor to get a court order to keep the cats off of her property, but it was hard to enforce. the neighbor ended up moving and taking his cats. maybe a sand bed near the edge of your property to give them another place to "do their business"...
Old 05-08-2004, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Curious??? If you happen to live near a cat collector? Why wont the Humane Association come and investigate...
or all these cats well cared for?

I personally do not agree with allowing all those loose cats out...
but I suppose there is no way to stop it. Can you put up a fence?
I've been in contact with the Humane Society and they said, "they would send the Sheriff and a social worker over, then more than likely, catch every cat in the neighborhood, even the non feral ones". I don't want to get rid of every cat in the hood, just the ones that are not being cared for. The truth is I've already caught 7 cats, and let 2 go.
I know this bothers some of you people on this board, but is it Humane to let a bunch of Cats run all over not being taken care of? I've personally adopted one of them, took it to a vet, gave her a check up and had her fixed. Now she is a inside cat and is very happy, but I can not adopt 20+ cats. If there is someone out there that is willing to adopt them, I live in Northern California and would be willing to turn them over to You. My email is rodiron@charter.net
Old 05-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

So if I understand this correctly.....these are stray cats that your neighbor has been feeding? Is there a nueter and release program in
your area?

Hmmmm? Stray cats can also spread disease....when we go to my brother-in-laws farm...I make all my kids bath and put on clean clothes
before they even consider touching our cat.

I dont understand why people just do not spay/nueter? It stinks!
Old 05-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
So if I understand this correctly.....these are stray cats that your neighbor has been feeding? Is there a nueter and release program in
your area?

Hmmmm? Stray cats can also spread disease....when we go to my brother-in-laws farm...I make all my kids bath and put on clean clothes
before they even consider touching our cat.

I dont understand why people just do not spay/nueter? It stinks!
I've checked into a neuter program and It cost $30.00 for males and $40.00 for females. More thank I'm willing to pay for each cat.
The other problem is that my next door neighbor has a day care. Some of the kids are allergic to cats, so sometimes she can't let them out side if one of the strays is back there. She has tried cat repellent and it doesn't work!
Every year there are more and more cats, and as we know "spring is in the air", which means, more cats next year! Unfortunately something had to be done now, before the problem got worse.
I've been in contact with my neighbor and told him what I was going to do if he didn't do something about it. He said," Do what you have to do."
He also said, "That there where two cats that he wanted to keep." I told him fine, but if I catch them I'm going to have them fixed! He said he would pay for it, which is cool. But, why doesn't he catch them himself and take them down to get fixed? Just plain lazy I guess.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

So if I understand this correctly....your neighbor runs a daycare with 20 some cats inside her house???
I think I missed the beat someplace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement