Discussion on BEST clumping cat litter for smell-and proper* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Discussion on BEST clumping cat litter for smell-and proper*

"and proper usage"
Well,
glad to be joining the forum!
I have 2 cats (Hunter and Pepper). I have been using Tidy Cats clumping Multiple Cats and recently just tried (as in today tried) Arm and Hammer Flushable litter (yes it does flush well-pretty cool). I guess have a few questions-

1)With the Tidy Cats(used it for the past few months) I have been completely dumping out/washing the litter box every month or so (I top off the litter every week or so as needed). I scoop the litter every day. Anyway, does this sound like a reasonable regimen? Should I completely empy the litter box more often?

2)Also on choices of litter, I haven't had enough time to evaluate the arm and hammer (smells good today and flushes well), but the tidy cats seemed to start smelling after a while. Is this just the way it is-should I empty the litter more as the only solution?
What litter do you guys use? Any specific recommendations. I live in a TINY apartment (400 sq. feet) so containing the smell is priority #1!!! Any specific brands that you guys with small areas have found to work good??

3)also, are there any additives that you guys like to add? I have added baking soda sometimes and think it may help-any other ideas?
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I live in an apartment with 3 cats and 2 litter boxes, one of which is actually a 66 qt rubbermaid tub, so I am all ears for any tips in this department I have to say, I used Tidy Cat in the past and wasn't that thrilled, plus, it was pretty pricey. For the last year or so I have been using a brand called Litter Clean. I buy it at Sam's Club in a 40 pound tub. It's not anything special,though,I just buy it because it's convenient...........sorry I couldn't be more help I rely on religiously cleaning out the boxes and Glade Oil plug-ins to control odor
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I used Worlds Best Cat Litter and think it's fantastic. It's dust free, clumpable, scoopable, flushable, and biodegradable. It's made from whole kernel corn and the natural odor absorption of lasts up to three times longer than regular clumping clay litters, which means it requires less maintenance. Personally I've never found a litter that stops odour as well as this does.

Good luck,
Beth
ikbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I use Kitty Litter Scoop, it has baking soda in it.....and then I also add Arm&Hammer Litter Deoderizer to it as well. I completely dump the box every 2 or 3 weeks....but that's only because if I don't my one cat, Maleke, complains. He will still use the box, but I feel bad!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Each litter will work differently for each cat. So you will really just have to experiment.

I enjoy..

Scoop Away + Crystals
Papurr
And the Arm n' Hammer Baking Soda for litter boxes.
AngelZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I really dislike Arm and Hammer litter. It seems to me that it has no odor control. It also doesnt seem to last very long.

I like tidy cats pretty well. However my favorite litter id called Homes Best. It is a generic scoobable. I find it has very good odor control as well as lasts fairly long time.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I use Johnny Cat litter, and Arm and Hammer Litter deoderizer. Johnny cat is pretty cheap, $2 for 10 lbs, lasts me for two refills. I refill about every 10 days. I have only one cat btw. It works pretty well. My cat wont go near the crystal litter. But, I might not be the best person to ask, since my sense of smell is pretty bad.
facedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bug
Cat

I am a BIG fan of Feline Pine. Never had a odor problem. 4 cats, big storage box for a litter box.......no problems with kittys going outside the litterbox............who could ask for more?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
I am a BIG fan of Feline Pine. Never had a odor problem. 4 cats, big storage box for a litter box.......no problems with kittys going outside the litterbox............who could ask for more?
i use feline pine also for my new kittens... is it flushable? i've been going to the outside trashcan like 3-4 times a day .
lapchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If odor control is top priority, try Shweat... it makes kitty poop smell a bit like bread.
Padunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement