Pregnant Cat acts like she's in heat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Pregnant Cat acts like she's in heat

My vet says that my kitty is pregnant. She is due around July 12th. But the last 3 days she's been acting like she is in heat. She coos constantly, roles around on the floor, lays down with her butt up in the air...everything! I even caught my neutered male cat "taking advantage of her" last night. What's going on!
I'm sure I'm just paranoid but I thought I'd ask. I've looked in books and on the web and haven't found anything that mentions this behavior.
Any thoughts???
Oh my gosh! He's doing it right now as I type this! He's biting her neck and everything. Is this just role playing/submissive behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I can think of two possible reasons. If the male was able to complete the act, then she was not pregnant; she's in heat. A tom cannot penetrate a female unless she is ready. She might have had a false pregnancy before. However, if the vet felt kittens or saw them on an x-ray, there's no doubt.

Of course, if the tom cat did complete the act, she could now be pregnant, if she wasn't before. Keep them separated, either way.

The other possibility is that she is due to have her kittens. Females cry and want your attention when they are due, and male cats are attracted to the discharge they have. I would isolate her from him, and just in case she is due to give birth, I would put her in her birthing box. If she cries for you, try to check on her as often as you can. I check for a thin, bloody discharge and then the mucous plug, and I would give her lots of love. Don't allow the male near her, regardless. He could cause an infection that could harm her and the kittens. Keep us updated, ok?

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Old 06-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you so much!
The vet did feel kittens and she has all the tell tale signs of being pregnant. I do not think Surfboard actually completed the act. Can a neutered male even do that? Anyway, it was very dark both times and last night when I turned on the light he was just positioned over her. It may have to do with the discharge. I have not seen any but she is CONSTANTLY licking herself. That leads me to believe that there is something there for her to lick.
But ready to give birth??? The absolute farthest along she could be is 48 days. I'm not sure if you read my post earlier this month when I was trying to figure out if she was indeed pregnant but she got out one night when a friend was watching her. It is based on the night that she escaped that we figured her due date. Is 48 days too early for her to be showing these signs?? Should I be worried?
Separate them! Zoë and Surfboard are attached at the hip. They would go nuts if I had to separate them for a week or two until she has the kittens. They eat together, they sleep together, they play together, and they follow each other everywhere. They would sit on opposite sides of a door and cry for two weeks!! However, if it is absolutely necessary then I will do it for Zoë’s safety and for that of her kittens.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry. I missed the word "neutered." If Surfboard was neutered a bit late, he might bite her neck and attempt to mount her. If he was neutered very recently, he could impregnate a female. If not, it's just a way of dominating her.

Kittens usually take 63-67 days to come, but she is acting as if she is ready to have them now. I would keep checking her for a discharge, because she's doing a good job of acting like a queen ready to give birth. I would have everything ready, just in case, and if Surfboard won't leave her alone, give her some time alone. Of course, when she has the kittens you'll have to separate them to give her a safe, quiet place to care for her babies. My two are bonded also, but when she is having her babies, she will want only you.

You might want to get a base temperature from her. It should be around 101-101.5. When it drops a degree, she will probably give birth within 24 hours. This is puzzling! If birth seems imminent and you need help, give a yell and we'll pace the halls with you.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We adopted Surfboard from the humane society when he was 3 months old and he was neutered before we were able to bring him home. That will be a year ago on July 23rd. I suppose it is just a dominating thing.
I've made several different places for her so she can chose which she likes best. I'll go down to the drug store and pick up a thermometer later tonight. If she does have the kittens this early, can they survive? Maybe she'll hold off a few more days. She still seems to be enjoying Surfboard's company. The minute she acts otherwise it's off to the back porch for the little man.
Okay...there is clear liquid...I just checked. And she's sitting funny...with her back in a severe arch. I called my vet earlier today and they just said to keep an eye on her...that all cats are different. Does the clear discharge mean labor or that labor is approaching? It just seems way too early. I'm so worried She's very calm right now. She's been sleeping all day. She hasn't been very noisy either. She's young...maybe she just isn't sure how to act or what excatly is going on. Should I just wait and see?
Thank you so much for your advice!!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I just took her temp and it's 100.6. I don't have a base temp to go off though. So does this mean she's in labor? I'll call my vet first thing in the morning to see what they have on record as her temp. from when I've taken her in before.
I'll keep you updated. Sounds like we'll have babies soon. I pray they'll be okay.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

any news?

Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Still no kittens. I read last night online that 10% of Queens experience estrus while pregnant. It said it happens in the 6th week which is where Zoë is at right now. I'm hoping that is what is going on.
She's still eating like a mad woman! I've read that queens usually stop eating within 24 hours of going into labor. And she isn't really bedding at all yet. I've made several different places for her, all of which she's explored. But beyond checking them out, she doesn't seem interested. She is bathing herself CONSTANLY though. If she's sitting still she starts going to town. She and Surfboard usually bathe each other. But I've noticed that he isn't bathing her anymore. She'll lick on him briefly but then goes back to herself.
At this point no news it good news right! I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I hope she is not in labor. If the kittens are due when you believe they are, they wouldn't have a good chance of survival. I don't mean to take away your hope, but kittens that young would be very delicate. However, is there a possibility that she got pregnant sooner than you thought? If she came from the shelter, how old was she? She could have been pregnant when you got her. This is very early for her to be showing these symptoms.

Just in case, have clean towels, the vet and emergency vet's numbers, scizzors, newspaper, and an eye dropper (for suction, if necessary) assembled, anything you would need if she needs your help. Usually mother cat can handle everything, but if she would get a hard contraction before she could remove the sac or get the baby "going" (squeaking and moving), you will be able to do it. I would have a clean washcloth and towel for myself too. I'll get a link for you, that will give you some details. Good luck!

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/CATS/catbirth.HTM

Old 06-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We rescued Zoë last October from a "crazy cat lady". No offense to anyone! She was a nice lady but she just fit that profile so that's what we call her. The lady's husband found the kittens at the military base where he works and brought them home. Based on her tiny size, with our vets help we chose September 1st as her birthday. She was 5 weeks at the very most when we brought her home. The day we asked about when to get her spayed there was a "fill-in" at the vet. He told us to wait until after her first heat. We've since found out that she could have been spayed earlier. Anyway, long story short--We went on vacation for the month of May and had a friend staying with the kitties. One night they pushed the screen out of a back porch window and escaped. They were only out for a short while and apparently Zoë only got as far as next door. When we returned home I called to make an appoint to get her spayed. "Any chance she could be pregnant?" I say "no" and then I start thinking...she does look like she's put on weight...I call my friend who explains their escape. He didn't want to tell us while we were gone because he didn't want us to worry. We called every day to check on them! So we take her to the vet and she says that she's probably 4 weeks along. Our friend thinks she escaped around May 10th. We didn't leave until the 7th and she has NEVER been outside until that one fateful night. That’s what we've based her due date on.
I do not think she is in labor. Last night she was much calmer than she has been. A lot less cooing and "role-playing" with Surfboard! I'm going to assume that she is of the 10% that experience estrus while pregnant.

Okay maybe she is in labor! My vet just called me back and her temp was 102.2 when we took her in earlier this month. It was 100.6 when I checked it yesterday. They said it could be early labor. I can't stand not KNOWING!!! The office is less than a mile from my house and I have an emergency number for after hours. I'm getting my "supplies" ready. Wish me luck!

I'll keep everyone posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread