My cat sleeps with me in my bed - is it OK? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default My cat sleeps with me in my bed - is it OK?

Since the third day my cat has spent with me, (the day she learned she could jump to my bed) she is sleeping with me. After a period of hyperactivity, she comes to my bed, drop herself against my body for a self-grooming ritual, and then she takes a nap/sleep while I do the same.

My mother doesn't like the idea of Vequi sleeping with me because of "hygene issues" and especially after she bought her a pricey bed, but I can't get my cat to use her bed. Even for daytime naps she improvises a sleeping place on whatever place you can name, but never on her bed.

I kind of resigned myself to sharing my bed with my cat - I saw it as a chance to strengthen the bond with her. But, what are your thoughts? Are there good reasons for not allowing this? Are there good reasons for allowing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't see any reason not to allow it. Cats are fastidiously clean animals. We shed as many dead skin flakes as they do hair, if not more, so it can be argued we are just as "dirty" as they are. Is she an outdoor kitty? If so, you just need to make sure she gets ongoing protection from fleas, etc. If not, then you really have nothing to worry about.

It's very hard to train a cat to sleep in a specific spot. Sounds like she loves you and wants to be near you.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well, if you don't mind, it's fine! A lot of us here have cats who sleep with us or we wish they would. My experience with cat beds is like yours, Jinx will sleep anywhere but. I wouldn't worry about hygene much, as a general rule, cats keep themselves very clean! So unless she has worms or some other yucky ailment, it's okay.

Edit for typo.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
jessamica8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Both my kitties share the bed with me. The only way I could stop it would be to lock them out of the room - but I love their night time cuddles far too much

Compliments of ForJazz
kitty_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

All 6 of my cats get in my bed, I don't mind at all. It's sweet having them there. Just not much moving room. LoL!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

My little dum dum sleeps with us all the time. She has her bed in the room too but she only sleeps there when it gets too crowded on the bed.....LOL. I don't let her out of the house for various reasons so she's preety clean.

She follows me all over the house. If I get out of bed and go to another room she follows me and finds a place to sleep near me. As a matter of fact....she is right in front of me on my computer desk right now.....LOL.
Sophie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Bumper sleeps with us every night (and sleeps the whole 7-8 hours we do too). He has his place by my feet and gets grumpy if I even get up a night because I disturb his beauty sleep!

I actually miss him on nights he isn't in bed with us
Old 10-26-2004, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Our cats don't stay all night with us, but we do have an evening routine. We crawl into bed to read and the cats come in and join us. Ketesh crawls up on Jason's chest and cleans his hand for him and Ninque comes up on mine. First she gives me little kisses on the end of my nose, then settles in and kneeds my neck or shoulder. They stay for a bit and then when we nod off, they leave and sleep in the chair.
They used to sleep at the foot of our bed, but I think we kick too much for that. But they do love to take naps, curled up alongside us.
Celebsilmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Nala sleeps with me and Peekaboo sleeps with my son. We love it. They keep us warm at night!

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Doeremi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have a hard time sleeping without the cats in bed with me.
Padunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement