can't sleep at night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default can't sleep at night

I live in a studio with my new cat Penelope. I've had cats before but always in an apartment with more than one room. I've had Penelope for a little over a month--she was a stray from near my office.
She's great--affectionate, playful--but she gets really hyper at night and I can't sleep. She goes running from one end of the apartment to the other. She scrabbles at the slipcover on the couch as if it were an animal (mind you, she lies on it sleeping all day, why does she think it comes alive at night?). She meows and makes so much noise with her running around and her scrabbling, I haven't gotten a full night's sleep in 32 days. I was hoping that once she settled in it would die down, but actually, it has gotten worse. When she first got here she would sleep in my bed all night. Now she only gets into bed with me in the morning, when it's light out.
My boyfriend won't sleep over anymore because it's even worse when he's there--she walks all over him in the bed and paws his face.
I am at my wits end. I love her lots but I may need to find her a home where her owners have an actual bedroom with a door that closes. I can't sleep and I never get to see my boyfriend.
Does anyone have any advice for calming her down?
Annabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Since cats are nocturnal this is a problem many people have. I would suggest playing with her for a while before you go to bed and a few times throught out the day. I know you probably work, so it may be hard, but I maybe before you leave to go to work and when you come home from work. I don't let Elliott take a lot of naps during the day.

Elliott gets CRAZY around 8:30 p.m. I usually start playing with her about 8:00 at night and just let her go crazy. She runs around for about 45-60 mins jumping off the walls, chasing the laser, playing w/ the bird and running up and down the stairs and the halls. I found that it really helps. The days that she doesn't get her playtime she will be crazy all night long.

When I first got Elliott she didn't sleep with me because she was all over the place now that I started the nightly playtime she is much better. I will wake up int the morning and she will be in the exact same spot on my bed that she fell asleep in.

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default can't sleep

i wish i could help - i have 2 cats that come alive the MINUTE my husband and I go to bed and that has been that way for 3 years. I dont' sleep anymore - I try to tend to the cats while my husband gets some sleep - i have a full time job as well as him but they seem to bother him more and i've just gotten used to (sorry to say) the fact that I don't sleep - which isn't good BUT yesterday we got a puppy golden retreiver and she slept in her crate in our room and guess what? the FIRST time in 3 years my 2 cats didn't make a noise - didn't come in the room at all. Not saying go get a puppy just saying my experience. My cats are not terrified of her which I am glad.

My husband and I closed are door at times and our cats would slam their bodies into it - well i couldn't sleep because of that and listening to them cry and meow all night. If you come up with something or someone else does I'd love to hear it. If anyone were to say get rid of the cats - that wouldn't even be an option - NO WAY - I'd rather have sleepless nights. Plus I don't believe a true cat lover would give that advice. Good luck
chickencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

thanks chickencat and adrienne!

The playing idea sounds good--except that she's kinda moody in that department. When she doesn't want to play, she just doesn't want to play. Nothing will get her excited. Hopefully she will be in a receptive mood tonight, I am going to try it.

Also it is impossible to calm her down when she is hyper. When she's not hyper, she's all over me, coming to be petted and rubbing her head on my hand (she loooooooves being petted). When she's hyper she won't come near me. How can I get her to calm down once she's in this excited state?

in the past, I've had one shy cat who never made any noise, and one delightful cat who, though playful, would do absolutely anything and everything you told her to do. I've never been in this situation before.
Annabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

How about trying a Tylenol Pm Tablet and maybe you could just
sleep right through it? Just and idea...
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
No No No! Tylenol is poison to kitties! Not that we haven't all thought of it, but it's just NOT a good idea to give people medicine to cats.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersmom
Quote:
No No No! Tylenol is poison to kitties! Not that we haven't all thought of it, but it's just NOT a good idea to give people medicine to cats.

I meant for Annabanana to take Tylenol.
~So that she can sleep through the cats nightime habits~
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Oh Whew! Sorry about that! I just got back from vacationing in beautiful Hawaii and I'm not back to the real world yet. It did seem like a funny recommendation. Yes, try the Tylenol PM on the owner!

Sorry to be so spacey!

Happy day!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersmom
Quote:
He he I was waiting for someone to say that. You have an excuse Tigersmom .

Thanks catlover_2004
Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Anna, you should look into getting DaBird. It's a toy that'll drive your cat nuts and really tire her out. We play with it with our cats before bed and they sleep thru the night.
Advertisement