How often to take the vet to teeth cleaning if u dont brush? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How often to take the vet to teeth cleaning if u dont brush?

Pebbles is almost a year old now and I plan on taking her to the vet soon to get her teeth cleaned. I haven't gotten a quote yet but I'm guessing in the $100 range which is fine with me...

here's my question... do you guys recommend that I take my cat to a teeth cleaning twice a year or just annually if I dont brush my kitty's teeth? I simply don't have time to do it on a consistent basis (work from 8am up towards 8pm sometimes, plus I have a strict workout/diet routine).

thanks folks...

on a side note, i think i've been a member of this board for about a year now from when i started researching cats and found Pebbles. yay for me!
lapchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

My grandma just had her cats teeth cleaned, it was very expensive. More like $200.00. They put your cat under as they do for spay/neuter. I honestly don't see the need for it unless your cats teeth really need it. My oldest is 10, he never had his teeth cleaned. His teeth aren't very yellow or stained either. He eats a lot of dry cat food, not so much moist.. so I think that's why. You could just a little finger brush & some cat toothpaste and save yourself a lot of money.
Loving_My_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have had Zoee for 10 years and she has only had her teeth cleaned once. I think it probably depends on the cat, but when she was a t the vet a few months ago he said she didn't looklike she beeded them cleaned again just yet.

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
fbodgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
I have had Zoee for 10 years and she has only had her teeth cleaned once. I think it probably depends on the cat, but when she was a t the vet a few months ago he said she didn't looklike she beeded them cleaned again just yet.
did you actively brush zoee's teeth? thanks!
lapchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

It will really depend on your cat, how often she will need a clean. Has your vet told you she needs a teeth cleaning? One of my cats is 4 now, and he had his first teeth clean a few months ago. I hadn't brushed his teeth for the first 2 years. You kitty will likely not need a teeth clean for a few more years.

My oldest cat, who is about 9, however, needs his teeth cleaned at least once a year. I brush his teeth every day. He just has really bad genes. I don't know of anyone who does dental work on a cat more than once a year, unless they are a bit older (ie: at least 5 years).
queen of the nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've never liked the idea of yearly cleanings if you can prevent them. Vets always stress the risk of putting an animal under anesthesia, so to be putting them under once a year seems like running a big risk. Not that anything may necessarily happen... but it would take its toll on the body, I'd think.

For some reason I think cats generally have better teeth than dogs. The vet I work for RARELY does dentals on cats.

If your kitty's teeth are really bad, you may want to do an intial cleaning, but definately get quotes first. Dentals at my vet run into the $400 range... for routines! I know we're pricey and all... but man! I can't see doing that every year!!

Whether you get the teeth cleaned or not, I think it'd be a good idea to take up some sort of dental hygeine routine. Be it CET chews, brushing, oral rinses... anything can help We use a product called OraVet, which is a once weekly application of a clear gel that forms a protective barrier at the gumline. Its said to be as effective as brushing 3 times a week or so.

Just some options

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
OsnobunnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The teeth should be cleaned as needed, but bear in mind that we can only see 33% of the tooths surface, the rest is below the gumline.

Redness, swelling, bad breath and noticeable plaque are all signs your cats teeth need to be cleaned. Oravet and CET are great ways to help prevent the need for cleaning as much. If your cat lets you put your fingers in its mouth, a simple tooth brushing technique is to wrap gauze around your finger and rub the outside teeth with it.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I never even thought that you should get your cats teeth cleaned...how often should you take them to the vet to get it done??
BabyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchern
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodgrl
I have had Zoee for 10 years and she has only had her teeth cleaned once. I think it probably depends on the cat, but when she was a t the vet a few months ago he said she didn't looklike she needed them cleaned again just yet.
did you actively brush zoee's teeth? thanks!
No I do not. I have tried, but she won't let me

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
fbodgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Oravet -- note made. Sounds like something I want to look into.

I've tried the CET chews and find them worthless (and incredibly expensive). The cat only bites at the chew three or four times before it's gone.

I've been brushing their teeth daily in the hopes of preventing dental problems, but only time will tell.

I've gotten conflicting advice from vets on how often. One said every year; another said two or three years. They do look at the teeth on a yearly physical exam, and I think I'll just wait until then and ask how they look.

I don't really like the idea of putting a cat under anesthesia unless absolutely necessary. Too many things can go wrong.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement