Skinny cat, fat belly - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Skinny cat, fat belly

Hello.

I have two cats. The older one slowly started to get a hanging belly, which sways when she walks. The younger one was always quite small. But recently she's developed the same hanging belly as well. Except she's so tiny everywhere else so I can't say she's fat.

Is it possible to gain weight only in the stomach? And is there anything I can do to "tone" them?

Thank you for your help!
yunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

If this "hanging belly" is down in the navel area, it's just what's often called a "fat pad" or a "fat sack" and is perfectly normal. Some theorize it happens to cats that have been spayed, but I've seen it on male cats as well. There's nothing you can do to "tone" it other than prevent your cats from becoming overweight.

It does look funny swaying back and forth ... kind of like a cow's udder.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
If this "hanging belly" is down in the navel area, it's just what's often called a "fat pad" or a "fat sack" and is perfectly normal. Some theorize it happens to cats that have been spayed, but I've seen it on male cats as well. There's nothing you can do to "tone" it other than prevent your cats from becoming overweight.

It does look funny swaying back and forth ... kind of like a cow's udder.
Yup, Minnie's got this! I've heard it called a "spay sway," too. She's had it ever since we got her spayed. She's a big cat, about 13 pounds, but she's firm...she's just "big boned." I wouldn't worry about it -- just make sure the rest of your kitties' bodies aren't fat and hanging and they should be fine.
Crystal211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My male has a saggy, baggy tummy as well. I think it is rather normal, as long as they don't get overweight.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Perfectly normal thing for S/N cats. There's no definitive explanation for it, but I like the one that said a muscle or something got snipped also during the operation.

However, the actual size of it will depend on how fat the cat is. A better visual check for weight is looking down at the cat's sides, or weighing the cat.

Here's more replies in this thread, and my reply linked to a few other threads that may be interesting: Fat/cow udder?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Suki weighed just 5lbs when i rescued her, now shes put on weight (bout 13lbs) she has got a the hang, its so cute shes got very skinny hips but a little sag under her carrage hehehehe silly kitten!
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement