Help!! my cat keep's going back to old house update 2 !!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Help!! my cat keep's going back to old house update 2 !!!!!

Update 2 You my remember bubble keeped on going back to the ever house well i did try to keep him in but when he could he would get out this time i left him 1 week and 3 days this time as usual i went to go and get him and i even went to the house's there and told then if they saw a black cat in there garden or eatting there cat food to scare him away i was at the point of givening up as he got out yet again i was telling my hubby in the kitchen that bubble had bin away for 2 days now and was getting worryed and hole and be hold bubble come thouh the cat flap i couldn't believe it i was sooo happy i give him a can of tuna all to him self it bin 4 days now and he is still coming back i think his tummy got the better of him

Hi all i have a cat called bubble he is 10 years old i have moved to a new house i keeped him in for 2 weeks and started to let him out well he went missing after 2 days in the end i found him at the old house so i keeped him in for 4 weeks and yesterday i let him out he did come back any way when i got up this morning (28 oct) and i got my cat's there breakfast and bubble was no were to be seen so went down to the old house and there he was seating on the wall how can i stop him doing it i dont know what else to do
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I've read it's recommended that you keep an indoor/outdoor cat inside for two weeks after moving. You've already done that and your cat is still going back, so I don't know what to suggest other than keep him in longer. Sorry.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with Tim. Keep your kitty in as long as necessary. In fact, this might be a good time to consider making Bubble an indoor cat. It's not uncommon to lose a cat after a move. I wish you the best.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I thought it was more than two weeks - more like a month before you should let a indoor/outdoor cat out again after a move.

You could try letting him out for short periods just before dinner time so he has an added incentive to come on home and wont be too far away in the meantime. He might then get the idea that this is where Mummy is now.

Other than that - can't think of anything. Try keeping him in for a while longer.

EDIT: Oh -I see. You have kept him in a total of six weeks already. It doesn't seem though that your old place is too far away from where you are now though. Is that right? If thats the case - perhaps you should just collect him and bring him back whenever he goes there - he will eventually get the idea. What do you think? Is that feasible?

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
melysion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

OK, this may be an old wives tale so prepare to laugh but I was always told that when you get a cat that's lived elsewhere, or you move with them, to apply a small amount of butter or margarine to each of their paws. They will lick it off and supposedly it removes the scent of the old place so that they will not continue to try and return. And yes, I have done this almost every time we've moved. I am not too sure that it actually works but I figure better safe than sorry. I do also agree that maybe the cat should be kept inside for a while. Btw, is your pet fixed? Spaying or neutering may cut down on the urge to wander.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Avalonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalonia
your pet fixed? Spaying or neutering may cut down on the urge to wander.
yes bubble is neutered i had that done when he was young and i have heard of the old wives tale of margarine on their paws i will give it a go

Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
It doesn't seem though that your old place is too far away from where you are now though. Is that right?
Yes but he has to cross two busy roads to get to there and after having him for 10 years i dont want to lose him.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianne-pets
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysion
It doesn't seem though that your old place is too far away from where you are now though. Is that right?
Yes but he has to cross two busy roads to get to there and after having him for 10 years i dont want to lose him.
Oh dear. I certainly understand your concern.

You know - this cat is now ten years old. I can't believe I'm actually writing this but it may be time to try to retrain him to be an indoor only cat for his own safety - particularly when you take those busy roads into consideration.

Would that be possible? Or is he absolutely determined to go outside?

The other thing is - perhaps you can introduce him to the neighbourhood by other means - say in a buggy or something so he gets used to his new surroundings as home. I have no idea if that would work but might it be worth a shot?

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
melysion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
OK, this may be an old wives tale so prepare to laugh but I was always told that when you get a cat that's lived elsewhere, or you move with them, to apply a small amount of butter or margarine to each of their paws. They will lick it off and supposedly it removes the scent of the old place so that they will not continue to try and return. And yes, I have done this almost every time we've moved. ...
Say, this is a really interesting tip I've never heard before. I think you might be on to something there. Though I think you could get the same result by giving a bath. I just have visions of buttery footprints throughout the house.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
I just have visions of buttery footprints throughout the house.
well i did it i will give any thing a go and yes there are buttery footprints every were
Old 10-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
Quote:
OK, this may be an old wives tale so prepare to laugh but I was always told that when you get a cat that's lived elsewhere, or you move with them, to apply a small amount of butter or margarine to each of their paws. They will lick it off and supposedly it removes the scent of the old place so that they will not continue to try and return. And yes, I have done this almost every time we've moved. ...
Say, this is a really interesting tip I've never heard before. I think you might be on to something there. Though I think you could get the same result by giving a bath. I just have visions of buttery footprints throughout the house.
LOL, my cats always found it so annoying that they settled right down to lick it off, stopping occasionally to give me the 'you're off your rocker, you know that, right?' look.

And yes, a bath would probably do the trick too, but in the interest of not adding to my scar collection I only wrestle Emanon into a bath when he's gotten into something he can't get off himself. Snow actually likes baths, crazy cat. Although he's not too fond of being scrubbed.

Miss Grace, Normie and Cleo, you will never be forgotten.
Avalonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement