Cat Meows at night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cat Meows at night

My cat Simba (boy) has developed an annoying habit of meowing outside our bedroom doors at night. I would imagine its because hes getting bored, but is there any way to make him not meow?

i have a cat door on my door, and he used to be allowed free access anytime... until he developed a habit of playing with the door at night... VERY noisy! we now shove a towel in it at night.

Im guessing he gets bored and wants us to get up. But the thing is, for one, he generally wants nothing to do with us (except once in a while when its his idea), and is silent, during the day, and for 2, he feels like he succeeded everytime - because when we wake up by his meows, we realize that we have to pee and therefore come out of our rooms.........

How can we get him to not meow? or at least, to meow during the day when it doesnt matter? why exactly could he be meowing? If he does want in my room, how can we get him to not play when the cat door? (or silence it lol)

our other cat Boo (female) is perfectly fine at night. she is quite vocal during the day, but relaxes and rests at night - or at least is quiet about whatever shes doing.

anyone have any advice?
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm sure there are reasons why you do this..but, can you take the flap out of the cat door? Or just leave the bedroom door open at night?

If I close the door and they are in the hall, my cats cry and cry (you'd think someone was torturing them in there). If I bring them in the room and shut the door again, they meow and walk on my head and knock things over until I open the door and let them out.

If I leave the door open, no crying, no meowing at my head, no knocking things over...peace and quiet.

I have a cat door on my utility room so that they can get to the litterboxes. My older cat could never figure out how to open the cat door...I had to remove the flap. It was easy to do this on the cat door that I had installed.
Kittys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Do you leave a night light on for him? My cats are TERRIFIED of the dark. We have to leave a night light on for them. It's actually quite funny, because when we go to bed, we have the TV on, but the minute the TV turns off they are on the bed with us if we don't have a night light on. Now that we've moved to the new house, we leave a larger light on in the kitchen above the sink, and they have quit sleeping with us. They stay in the living room and watch out the HUGE picture window all night.
Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

i leave the door open at night so my cats can sleep with me, which they are more then happy to do all night long. lovely peace and quiet and extra warmth too.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

the one thing i have tried is getting up & letting him in & shutting the door again behind him. but basically all he does is go on the desk & knock things down (like cats love to do, lol. nothing breakable, just noisy) then he usually makes his way to the door & wants out 30 seconds later.

again this is where the cat door would come in very useful, if he could use it only for in and out purposes, and not to play with. lol.

but the thing about taking out the flap on the cat door is that our other cat (who currently doesnt use the door) would come in too.... but she can get to the ceiling! all catproof shelves she can get to. so thats where another problem would come in....
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty's Mom

If I close the door and they are in the hall, my cats cry and cry (you'd think someone was torturing them in there).

If I bring them in the room and shut the door again, they meow and walk on my head and knock things over until I open the door and let them out.

Hahahahhahaah....toooo funny!
BoscosMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claiken
then he usually makes his way to the door & wants out 30 seconds later.
If you haven't seen Andrew Lloyd Weber's "CATS", you have to see it!!! He's doing exactly what Rumtumtugger does in his solo. It's hillarious!!!

"If you let me out, I want back in, if you keep me in, I want back out.....I always want to be on the opposite side of the door."

I don't remember the exact words, but that's the jist of it!!!
Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
When you let me in, then I want to go out
I'm always on the wrong side of every door
And as soon as I'm at home, then I'd like to get about
I like to lie in the bureau drawer
But I make such a fuss if I can't get out!
I love that song, especially the rock-star way Rum Tum Tugger generally has of performing it.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When we go to bed, he will come with us and lay right by me, if I shut the door he will meow all night long whether he wants in or out, so I just leave it open so I can sleep in peace, it took me a while to figure out, losing sleep makes me cranky, can't have that
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I think the simplest solution would be to remove the door part of the cat door, that way, no noisy playing with it, and he can easily get in and out without annoying you.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement