Should I put a bell collar on my cat or not? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Should I put a bell collar on my cat or not?

I've read many articles on putting bells on cats to keep them from killing dead animals some are for and against it. I used to be for, but recently my cat has developed a serious allergic reaction to collars. I would love my cat to stop bringing me dead animals, but understand it's his nature. I have also tried playing with the cat with teasers and various cat toys; as several articles say this will help prevent the cat from bring dead animals. Well, that doesn't work, my cat can play all day with his toys and still go out, kill the animal, and then bring it back for me to see. I wouldn't mind so much, but I have an older dog that loves to play with the cat and is curious what he brought in this time. I just don't know what do do.
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cats are hunters, you can't stop that instinct. A bell may help, but I wouldn't think it's 100% effective...I've never had an outdoor cat, so I'm not sure.

The only sure way to stop it is to keep him in. A cat that goes out really should have a breakaway collar and an ID tag so if he gets lost or hurt you can be contacted. And will also prevent someone from thinking he is a stray and take him in, they might never get him checked for a microchip.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I've read somewhere that cat's click on every quickly to the connection between the bell and them not catching anything and learn to keep their necks VERY still.
Not sure if it's true though, but I'm sure 2 bells would be more effective than one.
touchthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Kittens with bells

We put a bell on our kitten when we first got her, so we wouldn't step on her (she liked to sneak up behind you). Her neck was so small that it had to be on a ribbon because a collar was too big. One day (months and many ribbon re-ties later), we heard her crying and went to find out why. The ribbon had worn through, and the bell was lying on the floor. She was miserable. So, we went out and got her a collar with a bell, it just barely fit (she's still tiny). She can keep that bell still, whenever she wants to. So, not all cats hate it, but it sure doesn't stop her from being sneaky. Go to my blog (http://rootbeerlove.blogspot.com) to see her adorable pictures.
rootbeerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yes it is true that cat will positon there necks so the bell is less affective.
I have put 3 bells on my cats and still the lovely dead pressie arrive, I tried him on a sonic collar that makes a high pitch noise when your cat is about to attack but it kept going off when he wasnt doing anything and making him jump in the air which i thought was a little mean so i took it off.
buzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Whilst I understand why the bells are fitted to help prevent dead animals etc being brought home or killed in the first place - it must be really annoying to walk around with a bell ringing round your neck all day. How would you like it?!
Angeladeedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Re: Should I put a bell collar on my cat or not?

Odo used to bring home a bird every time he went outside. We put a bell collar on him and he hasn't brought one home since, and that was over a month ago. But if your cat is allergic you collars, it's not a good idea.
Advertisement