Can 2 cats share 1 litter box? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Can 2 cats share 1 litter box?

I have 2 female cats. One is about 4 years old and the other about 4 months. They get along with eachother fine and eat next to eachother, interchanging bowls or munch on eachother's food. However, they have seperate litter boxes and always go to their designated litter box.
Is it possible to have 1 litterbox for 2 cats to be shared? If s, how do I do it? I don't want any unnecessary accidents...
evelinany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Mine share it but it's not the best idea, I would stick with the two, since they are not choosing to share. I had two but one was never used so i just got rid of it. For many cats though, they may guard their box or not want to go in it if they smell the other cat's waste in it.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

If you really wanted to cut it to one box, you would have to test the waters and see if they would share once you took one away. We have 3 cats and 3 litters boxes, but I think they interchange and share them. Well, two of them do anyways.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The rule of thumb for litteboxes is number of cats plus one, so according to that you're already one box short. I think the fact that they each use their own box tells you that they want two. I wouldn't fuss with what's working, myself.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have two cats who share one box (although there does seem to be a certain amount of "my sister just used the box, I should use it now so she remembers it's my box, too" that goes on).

But I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially since they seem to prefer separate boxes left to their own devices. I may put a second box someday when I finally move into someplace larger, myself.

Which come to think of it, is almost exactly what coaster said. Oh, well.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We used one box for several months and all was fine, we cleaned it every other day if not every day but it got to be a real pain as Bosco with his diabetes pees way more often then Reyna and in rather large doses so it would fill rather fast. We then put out a smaller box so when it does get full and we forget to clean the one box the other is available. Other then that one box was fine but it sometimes depends on the cats, if things are going well leave it be unless you'd rather have one box, then you'll just have to take one away and see what happens.
Lilac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Default hi

Hi. Just wanted to post an update. I have switched them to one litterbox -- for the past 3-4 days they have been sharing it and there doesn't seem to be any problems for now...
evelinany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I have 7 cats they all only have one litter tray, but they do go outside so they can do it where they like then. Litter tray is only there for night times really.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

My two female cats have been using just one litter box since a little after they were born (almost one year) with no problem whatsoever.

Once or twice I've had an accident happen, when both were trying to use it and one of them dropped her poo outside , but, other than that, no complaints.
Pedro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Mine share litter boxes and I've had no problem.
Advertisement