Vicks Vapor Rub... PLEASE HELP!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Vicks Vapor Rub... PLEASE HELP!!

So I have a cat and she is about 6 months old... and I recently got sick and naturally bought my favorite box of Puffs Plus lotion with Vicks in it too... Now my cat likes to take my tissues and shred them to bits and possibly eat parts of them... I keep trying to get them away from her... and if it comes down to it i wont use them anymore... but i wanted to know first if the vicks was bad for her... Anybody know if it can hurt her, or does anybody know what i can do to teach her that she cant shred them/ eat them?

-kayla
twilightgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Vicks Vapor Rub... PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to CatForum, and I'm not sure if the tissues could hurt her in any way. Your best bet would be to contact a vet and ask. As for teaching her to leave them alone? ...sorry, I don't see that as being possible, cats being the independent creatures they are... The best way would be to 'cat-proof' and keep them so she has no access to them.
Heidi
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks! lol I know, She is still in that bratty kitten phase, you know where they do all the stuff to drive you NUTS! She sure is my furry ball of joy! I like your picture of your cat and beta fish.. my kitten loves to drink my betas fish water.. hehe and she could totally care less about the fish.
twilightgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I know this quote is just about Vicks vapo rub itself, but I'd keep the tissues out of reach altogether. But then again, I'm overly protective of my girls. You'll probably get responses saying that the tissues are just fine....I've even seen sites that say put some on your cat's chin for certain ailments, but never let them ingest it. I've also read that some cats are very attracted to the scent, so your kitty is normal.

Quote:
Vicks vapo rub and other similar products such as Tiger Balm etc are not safe for use on or around cats. Much like essential oils they contain components that are toxic to cats. Menthol contains a toxin to cats and Eucalyptus contain phenols. Some cats have a violent reaction to Vicks and begin to foam at the mouth after contact.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely not something I'd let my cats play with or ingest. And I agree with Heidi, you won't be able to teach her to stay away, you need to put the tissues somewhere she can't get at them or cat proof the box.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement