Cat destroying blinds? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Cat destroying blinds?

Is there anything I can do to keep my cats from destroying my blinds?
blueflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat destroying blinds?

Deny access.
Buy sturdier blinds.
Remove blinds.

Our cats made mince-meat of the cheap/thin-slatted aluminum blinds. Our home now has heavy-duty injection-molded 2" wide plastic-slat blinds. I rarely release them to the very bottom of the window so the cats can still see out and have no reason for trying to push between the slats. I also braid the strings into ONE cord and I loop that up high and out of reach. I had one cat who pushed his head through the knotted-at-the-bottom cords and almost hung himself when he tried to jump off the window sill.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
I had one cat who pushed his head through the knotted-at-the-bottom cords and almost hung himself when he tried to jump off the window sill.
That must have been a scary sight, Heidi!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It was, but when it was over I thought it was funny, too. However, it is *not* a laughing manner because many children and pets die every year due to those cords.
BooBoo had his throat caught, and his back feet were standing on the window sill as his front feet were suspended out in the air in front of him as he hung by the neck. I *watched* it happen and as I was running across the room to get him out of his predicament, he wiggled his head back/forth and up and then he slipped right out and fell to the floor. It wasn't a *real* fall, but neither could I call it a jump. It was very un-graceful. He was fine, shook his head, curved his tail over his back and raced around after the other kitties...but that night I began braiding all of the cord-strings.
h
Old 06-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

We just replaced the mini-blinds in our bedroom with a Roman shade, after the beasties managed to break off the ends of two of the slats. My short dresser is right by the window, and they'd been pushing through to look out the window and sit on the sill, bending those two slats (right at kitty-head height) back in the process, and they finally snapped off. I think they'll have a tougher time wrecking the fabric shade...I hope!

Agree with looping up and braiding the cord strings to avoid strangluation - as well as, "Hey, what's this dangly little toy thing?" If I've pulled the blinds up, I'll loop the cord over the top of the blinds to get it out of the way.
weebeasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebeasties
If I've pulled the blinds up, I'll loop the cord over the top of the blinds to get it out of the way.
That's what I do, too. Poor Floofy looks so puzzled when I do it, it is like he is asking why I must deny his fun with the string-toy. I also tried Roman Shades on the kitchen bay windows and the french doors. They work very well, though I do have to keep up with the lint-roller to remove hair build-up, as the kitties will still push the fabric aside to see out, and they leave hair evidence behind.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Oh, I'm sure we'll have to do the same. But I'd rather clean than replace again!
weebeasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

I've seen lots of people that will use the wooden type blinds
Also the Roman Shades are good too!

Here's a website with all sorts of blinds that are pretty kitty resistant
http://www.blindsgalore.com/category...pt_id=10000000

If ya dont want new blinds...
With my cats i've always found that if you leave the blinds pulled up a bit and they can see out that they wont bend and destroy them.
melon_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My daughter's cat, Saggy Britches, broke one of the slats on my wooden blinds. Fortunately, thy have several extra slats at the bottom that we could use to repair it. I now leave the blind up a bit when she is here.

For my kid's apts, we bought cheap blinds at Home Depot and hung it in the windows that their cats like to hang out in. Much cheaper than losing the deposit.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Advertisement