Licking behavior? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Licking behavior?

My 4 year old cat has a habit of licking sides of tv stand and now I bought a metal wine rack and he's licking that too. Does it make it feels good for his tounge or what behavior is that? thanks
SLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Licking behavior?

Are those items he is licking "rusty" at all? I had a cat who was anemic, and my first clue, was she was licking the rusted bottom door of an ancient farm-kitchen sink of the home we were renting. Licking metal items can sometimes indicate a mineral deficiency.
My best suggestion would be a vet visit, specifically for a blood test to help the vet determine if the cat is deficient in any nutritional and/or developmental areas of their body/diet.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

He licks even the side of the wood tv cabinet, my wife's bag and the wine rack which is brand new and not rusty. When he does it he rubs his face onto it also. Doesn't do it all the time and only for a short period of time.
SLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh, I think that sounds like a mutual-grooming 'thing', but he's doing it with inanimate objects instead of another living thing...and the face-rubbing is a way for the cat to put light "scent marks" on things...basically saying "I like this thing in my world and it is mine." Quite a few of my cats will rub their faces on the corners of walls and cabinets. I think it is just a happy-thing for them.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

hi i have a cat licking problem aswell but it is different it just sits there all day licking its bottom i dont know why it is very clean but she keeps licking herself if she is not licking herself she is licking the over cat and her bum to
i.love.my.cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My cat loves to lick plastic bags, plastic containers, plastic wrap, garbage bags, and it really drives me insane because I don't know why he want to do this. Could it be because he likes the smoothness of plastic?
Advertisement