Jonah's Introduction Diary: Cat-cat and Cat-dog - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Jonah's Introduction Diary

Here's a really good step-by-step intro method handout:

http://www.hssv.org/docs/behavior/cat_cattocat.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premier Cat

DAY 9:

First, Jonah is a HOLY FREAKIN’ TERROR. I’m being reminded every 5 min. why I DON’T DO KITTENS!!!!!!! LOL.

A friend of mine had what sounded like a GREAT idea (and really was) -- to put the TurboTrack under the bottom babygate so that the Big Kitties could play "with" Jonah. I set it up, with the gate right on top of the track. The gap at the bottom was larger than usual, but it didn't look like he could get under it (FAMOUS LAST WORDS!). Went out the other door and around to the dining room so I could put the other ball in and show the Big Cats how it worked, and from that side the hole looked HUGE. “UH OH,” I said, and hot-footed it around again to Jonah’s side—when I arrived he was GONE!! Ran BACK around and there he was, surrounded by 2 hissing cats. Had about 1 sec. of thinking, “Maybe I should just see what happens. . . “ but I had just gotten home and was tired and it seemed like too much. And the rule is that whenever you THINK it's time to move on, wait 2 days. So I nabbed him and put him back.

I ended up stuffing towels under the baby gate, and that kept him in, but the Big Cats seemed far less interested in the TurboTrack than in just watching Jonah, so this a.m. I took it out (b/c the towels were not fool-proof or kitten-proof, and I didn't want to be worrying that he might get out while I was gone). But it was a good idea!!!

Later yesterday evening I heard a noise and went to the gate and Jonah had climbed up 7 feet to the top of the gates – there was a big gap up there, and I had it on my list to buy a taller gate before Jonah got strong enough to climb that far, AND I had taped a towel up there to cover the gap. Well, apparently he's that strong NOW and he pulled the towel up and crawled under it. He was balanced on the top of the gate, looking down 7 feet into the open mouth of LINCOLN!

There is now a super-secure cardboard patch on there, duct-taped on so tightly it's practically Fort Knox. Jonah's side of the gate gap:

And the other side:

Yikes.

After all the bruhaha had died down, I'd had my dinner, and had a chance to relax, I took the Next Step. I brought Jonah out into the LR in his tent crate, first with the dogs outside and just the cats around. And here we have the FIRST PHOTO EVER of all 3 kitties in the same frame.

That's Lincoln on the L, Calvin on the R, and Jonah in the middle, keeping an eye on Lincoln (smart boy!). There was some hissing (mostly Lincoln), but overall it was pretty sedate. After about 30 min. I brought the dogs in: Sophie ignored the whole thing and Rachel and Sam were interested but not obsessed. It all went very well.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

QUESTION:

I would appreciate input on this from anyone who has done it. When I get to the point of Jonah's first FREE foray into the LR w/ the other kitties, should I put Lincoln in the bedroom and try Jonah and Calvin together first? Calvin is most accepting of the idea, and it would certainly be easier for me to deal w/ only 2 at a time. Then the next day maybe just Lincoln and Jonah? Then all 3? This seems logical to me but I don't want to risk making anyone (esp. Lincoln) feel left out. I have done 3 before but it was back in the pre-baby-gate-intro days and I was less careful (and less successful).

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: QUESTION p. 2: Jonah's Introduction Diary

DAYS 10-11:
Last night, we first did some more of this:

That's Calvin (cat) and Sam (dog) checking out Jonah in the crate.

After a while, I put the dogs outside and Lincoln in the bedroom, and let Jonah out to meet Calvin in the flesh. It went VERY well! Video evidence below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R8Ju_CP-SQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbiDl0m4PUo

Calvin clearly wanted to play but I was a little concerned that he wouldn't be gentle enough (hence my "CAREFUL CALVIN!!" in the one video. But there was no hostile intent and I think Calvin was awesome! I'm very pleased.

I will continue bringing Jonah into the LR in his crate every evening until Lincoln is bored out of his mind before trying a one-on-one w/ him and Jonah. In the meantime, we'll continue regular meetings between Jonah and Calvin. We'll try one dog at a time (on lead of course) in a few days.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premier Cat

That's an amazing first intro. The only time Calvin was agressive at all was when Jonah went into the kitchen. Is that where you feed Calvin?

And that's a cool cat crate. I bet mine would love to just hang out in there. Where did you get it?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
That's an amazing first intro. The only time Calvin was agressive at all was when Jonah went into the kitchen. Is that where you feed Calvin?
No -- they actually eat in the "dining room" (in quotes b/c no one eats there but the cats) -- the TurboTrack was in that room. He wasn't really aggressive, I don't think -- that's how he and Linc play. But Lincoln is 12X bigger than Jonah so . . . !

Important to note that the reason this went so well was the 9 days of sloooooow through-the-baby-gates intro that went before it. This method really DOES work.
Quote:
And that's a cool cat crate. I bet mine would love to just hang out in there. Where did you get it?
Actually, got it off Craigslist for a song! But it is this crate -- they are for cat shows.

http://www.sturdiproducts.com/4111/xcar ... =21&page=1

Great idea, too -- when I showed in Household Pet, you had to use the show's crates and of course you always had to completely disinfect before you moved in. Taking your own makes much more sense! And it's perfect for Jonah. He is only in it at night and when we visits the LR right now, but it's been a godsend.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat

Alright, got another question. We have progressed to the stage of the gates being up for almost 12 hours a day, and the first day of Bella being by herself she cried a lot and looked anxious. But they had gotten to the stage of Brandy being a gate-rat and staring at Bella and Bella acting normal. But today Bella is coming up to the gate and staring Brandy down and batting her paw at her. Brandy is still acting semi-aggressive and batting her paw through/under the gate and sometimes rushing the gate. Her tail is flicking back and forth rapidly at times. Now, I'm not exactly sure if this is considered positive progress or are they fighting through the gate now? Sometimes it seems like "playing" and sometimes it looks mean on Brandy's end. I'm just not use to this stuff so it all seems different to me.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think this is the "Patty Cake" phase. Just let them continue.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness! Cuteness overload!
I agree, it sounds like they're just playing.
Just wondering, has the baby been checked for ear mites? I noticed a lot of ear scratching in the videos.
Hope it continues to go well. Can't wait for the next segment!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If they end up like my two girls, one of whom I though I'd have to give back because the big cat in the pic was rejectiong her, the little ones ears will undergo constant cleaning by the big brothers and sisters.

I couldn't get a clear pic because the grroming is usually at a frantic pace but if you can see an ear in this it's a clean ear.

Advertisement

Closed Thread