Behavior chage after spay? Pain? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Behavior chage after spay? Pain?

I had Lua spayed last week on Tuesday. She came home on Wednesday morning, so she's been home a week. The first few days, she was ouchy and kind of stiff legged, but very snuggly. You could tell she wanted to play, she was sniffing everything, playing with her mouse, etc. Normal appetite (although I only gave her a tiny bit that first day). I could pick her up (I was very careful) like always. After the first day or two, she seemed to be back to normal. Wrestling with the kitten, batting toys around, and so on. I did my best to keep her from running and jumping around, but I could only limit so much. I was giving her the pain meds that the vet gave me once a day for the first three days.

Well just in the last two days, she's been acting odd. Her incision looks normal, she licks it some, but it doesn't look infected or anything. Still a normal appetite, etc. But she's been very antisocial which is unlike her. She makes a "put me down NOW" meow when I try to pick her up, I used to be able to pick her up, hold her on her back, toss her over my shoulder and everything else. Now I can only hold her for a moment. When the kitten tries to wrestle with her and she did the same "get away from me" meow, she actually hissed. Again, I have NEVER seen her hiss. As I'm typing this, I'm about to separate them since I'm afraid of a catfight starting. These two were best buds.

She has basically spent the last two days sitting with her tail curled around her and glaring. She doesn't look especially relaxed, just withdrawn. Could she be in pain from the surgery still? I have heard of cats changing personalities after being fixed....is this just the new Lua? Has my cuddly sweet kitty turned into a cranky antisocial creature. She's the crankiest she's ever been this afternoon.

I was told to bring her back to the vet 10 days after the surgery to make sure her incision is healing correctly and I'll be asking them. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen. A sweet kitty turning into a witch after being spayed That would break my heart.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Behavior chage after spay? Pain?

Cats handle surgery, for the most part, with much more stoicism than human beings, but try to imagine if you had an ovariohysterectomy. How quickly would YOU be 100% normal? Her abdominal muscles have been cut. She probably still has some pain, which, as long as the incision looks o.k. and she's eating and pooping well, is normal.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I'm glad you answered, and that makes me feel better. I know it's a major surgery, and I was expecting her to be in pain. She just didn't show any of these symptoms before when I stopped giving her pain meds. She just meowed out of nowhere (she's not a very vocal cat) and I went on the bed and pet her. She purred and showed me all her itchy spots. It's just when I try to pick her up that she goes nuts, or when the kitten tries to rough house. She acts like she's very uncomfortable, I guess I'm just surprised that I'm just now seeing these symptoms even though she hasn't been on any pain medication for about 4 days now.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well, it never hurts to call the vet. Check w/ him/her and see what he/she says.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

If the vet only gave you pain medicine for 3 days and she's still hurting I would call them. They may ask to see her, or they may be able to get you a refill of meds over the phone. I got Samson a perscription by just calling about a relapse, your vet might do the same.

I hope Lua feels better soon!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

She is clearly in pain. She's walking slowly and favoring one side. She's hunched up and kind of drags her right leg stiffly. But she's eating (currently meowing for dinner), just used the litter box, and seems alright otherwise.

I called the vet, and he had gone home for the day, but I talked to a tech. She said it doesn't sound like anything abnormal. The process of the muscles healing is a painful process, so she may be in more pain now than she was originally. If she gets any worse I'll definitely bring her in tomorrow, and if she doesn't improve soon, I'll be taking her in.

I hate seeing her gimp around, jeez.