My cat dragging my clothes everywhere - wth? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat dragging my clothes everywhere - wth?

Hello

I'm pretty new here, and I'll have to get around to posting some pictures of my 2 cats Salem & Milo. I'm just curious about a behavior my older cat Salem has started doing over the last 3 or so weeks. Everytime I leave clothing laying around, like my PJs on my bed or t-shirt on the couch (even leaving clothes in a basket) he will grab something and drag it around meowing in a weird way. If he can reach more then one item of clothing he will take what he can. So almost everyday I get home and I find a t-shirt in the entrance, socks on the stairs, shorts at the doorway to my room....why is he doing this?? It's so bizarre. It's harmless and at first I thought it was cute, but now I'm getting annoyed at having to pick up clothes everywhere! lol

Any ideas?

Natalie
NatalieX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: My cat dragging my clothes everywhere - wth?

(1) They smell like you.

(2) It's fun.

Solution: Keep all clothing in closet, dresser, or dirty clothes hamper.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes I do that most times...but sometimes I get lazy!! lol
Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Its the smell and texture of your clothes Everytime I throw an item of clothing onto my bed Nala pounces...and then paws around on it til the next item is thrown. You just need to kittyproof your room
Sarah-Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Sounds like a misdirected hunting instinct. He has "killed" your clothing and must now drag it to a safe area to 'store' it before it is consumed. His yowling is either to keep other predators away, or he is calling in an effort to bring other kitties to him so he can share his 'kill' with them. The only other explanation I've got is it is a *very* misplaced mothering instinct whereby he is dragging your clothing like he would a kitten who needs to be carried away from danger and protected...in which case, he thinks by moving your clothing, he is dragging *you* around and protecting *you* because your clothing smells like you.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Fergie drags my slippers around, as well as a number of other soft but rather large objects - a stuffed cow, a four foot long stuffed snake, her beds, etc. She's been doing this for a year and I've always just laughed, especially because it's quite a sight to see this little cat dragging things larger than herself up and down the stairs! Actually, it's pretty cute - if I leave my slippers downstairs when I go to bed she'll bring at least one of them upstairs to my side of the bed by morning!

Anyway, as far as I know there's no harm in kitties moving our things around, you just learn to watch where you're stepping as you're walking around, and if there are things you don't want moved, you have to put them somewhere out of reach. Going off of Heidi's theory, if your cat is bringing your clothes to the same area, as Fergie does with her toys, maybe he's trying to 'kill' or 'mother' them and gather them all in one place for protection. I see some of this in Fergie - she brings all of her things upstairs into our bedroom at night, and then back downstairs during the day, based on where she spends the bulk of her time day and night.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

It is pretty funny, and I remember a over the summer, he had a facination with my socks! I couldn't leave any of them laying around, but then it just stoped. Now it's started up again, but with any kind of clothing that he can get his paws on and carry! lol I just have to remember to put everything away.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That sounds very funny and cute! Catch a video if you can, I'd love to see it! (Whitekitties, it would be cute to see Fergie in action too!)

I've heard of cats dragging things around. My friend's cat had this blankey that he'd carry around. He actually would get aggressive if you tried to take it away.

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Slightly off topic but I found that one of my cats had dragged the scratch post 15 feet from the middle of my front room and into the downstairs toilet (where their litter tray is). This has never happened before and I am not sure what to make of it!
liserini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

LOL! That's funny, my old cat, Missy did that too. She would drag my socks around my old apartment and "claim" them. If you tried to take them back, she'd run away with them in her mouth. Was to cute.

Brandy doesn't really do it with clothes, but she does like to drag her blanket around. She took a blanket we use to have on our couch that we'd use to sleep under from time to time. One day when a house guest didn't fold it back up and put it on the end of the couch like normal, she slept in it. It was lightweight enough for her to start picking up in her mouth and dragging in random locations in the house. Though, I do admit, it is pretty crazy when a friend or family member comes over for dinner and sees this big orange cat dragging a white blanket behind her so she can lay down at our feet at dinner time.
ChelleBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement