My cat is peeing everywhere and I can't figure out why-Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default My cat is peeing everywhere and I can't figure out why-Help!

Hi Everyone,
My roommate and I live in a two cat home. My cat, Roux, is a 9 month old girl. My roommate's cat is a 2 year old boy. Both of are cats have been fixed. Her cat, Edo, pees about 2 times a week somewhere other than his litter box. He has peed on my clean clothes, he went on my dirty clothes twice (had to throw my cloth hamper away), he went under the kitchen sink and about two minutes ago he went on the tile floor right next to a stereo speaker.

Here are the facts:
--I clean the litter box every other day and change the litter entirely once a week.
--Edo uses the litterbox every time he pees, except for the couple of times a week he goes elsewhere, so I don't think it is a cleanliness issue.
--When he pees, he doesn't do the weird butt-shiver-thing like he's marking his territory. He just stands there and pees.
--He doesn't hide when he pees. And, when he goes in the litter box he doesn't take long and there is definitely pee when he gets out, so I don't think it is that he is in pain when he goes.

Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Roux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: My cat is peeing everywhere and I can't figure out why-Help!

Edo is telling you, in the only way he can, that he is Having A Problem.
Sorry for the long post:

Inapropriate Urination could be a UTI.

The NUMBER ONE REASON CATS PEE INAPPROPRIATELY = Urinary Tract Inflamation. (UTI)
Diagnosis is with a vet checking a urine sample. There is no other way to diagnose this medical problem. Depending on diagnosis (infection, inflamation, crystals) treatment can include antibiotics, anti-inflamatories and/or a diet change to help get more moisture into the cat and lower the content of two common cat food ingredients. (sorry, I can't recall what they are just now; possibly magnesium and something else?)

Cats are naturally neat and tidy animals.
They *know* what a litterbox is for.
If a cat is *not* using their litterbox, they are trying to *tell you something* and you need to listen.

AFTER a UTI has been eliminated as a problem, then you can move on to examining other areas:
Has the home been stressful for the cat? ...cats can develop UTIs due to stress...
Does the cat like the litterbox? ...open-tray, hooded, deep enough litter, large enough box...
Does the cat like the location of the litterbox? ...is it in a quiet area, low traffic and no sudden noises...
Does the cat like the litter used? ...some cats prefer different litters...
Does the cat approve of how clean the litterbox is kept for it? ...many cats will refuse to use 'dirty', and especially *smelly* litterboxes...

Cats WANT to use a litterbox to hide their waste. If they are not, it is because there is some sort of problem and avoiding the litterbox is The Only Way for the cat to tell you It Is Having A Problem.
UTI's are painful and the kitty tries to find places to pee where maybe it *won't* be painful, like soft piles of clothes, bedding and rugs. When the pain *still* isn't going away by peeing on soft things, they start to pee on 'smooth' things like floors, tables, stoves and countertops. IMO, when a cat reaches the point of peeing on your countertops AND/OR peeing *right in front of you while looking you in the eyes* ... please don't get mad, the kitty is simply trying to tell you There Is Something Wrong.

After medical treatment, diet can play a large role in helping to keep UTI's at bay; more moisture, as in a wet food or RAW diet. Even a better quality dry food and not feeding "McKittyCrack" (which is what I call grocery-store available catfoods) can help the kitty stay healthy. There are plenty of topics in the Health/Nutrition Forums to help you find a good catfood and/or diet for your kitty.

Good luck, we really *want* you to be able to help your kitty. Please let us know how things go...the information you share could help other people in similar situations, too.
heidi =^..^=
Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I had just finished going through this same exact problem with my 2 Male cats. I totally agree with "Heidi n Q". Do the 2 cats get along at all? Maybe one of the cats is stressed out with the other and simply trying to advertise his dominance throughout the house by Marking. Even outdoor cats that hang out by the house can stress out your cats. But I agree that the cats are definitely trying to tell you something is wrong. It can also be a combination of both a UTI and the cat not getting along with the other. There are so many factors that may cause such behavior. All we can do is be patient and try our best to understand these guys without getting upset. Best of luck to you...
MANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

What Heidi said. GET HIM TO THE VET YESTERDAY!!!!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I would agree with taking him to a vet. My male cat started peeing outside the box and, though I wondered if it might be a medical issue, I basically dismissed it because he had peed outside the box before when he was upset about something.

Unfortunately, it WAS a medical condition, and eventually progressed to the point of a complete urinary blockage. Oh how I wish I had taken him to the vet in the beginning, though he, too, didn't really seem to have a big issue going in the box (nor outside it). He always chose to go either in the box or on something soft (a bed, blankets, towels, piles of clothes, etc.).

We thankfully caught it in time to save him. We took him to the e-vet when we realized he couldn't urinate. The procedure to un-block him cost $800 and the resultant 3 day hospitalization cost $350. The surgeon said since we caught the actual blockage quickly, it wasn't a very complicated procedure (initially, they quoted us $1,200-$1,300 for just the procedure). Had I paid attention to the original signs, a $30 vet visit might've been all that was necessary, and my poor baby wouldn't have had to go through all of this.
nikelodeon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Edo is telling you, in the only way he can, that he is Having A Problem.
Wow Heidi, that was a really impressive post! All concise and stuff

To the OP: as already stated so well by other posters, UTI is the most likely cause of inappropriate urination, even if the cat is sometimes using the box and sometimes not. Getting it treated quickly will cost you less money, and cause the cat less pain (which will also result in the cat going back to appropriate litterbox habits more quickly).

While it could be something else, this is what I would try to get a handle on first.
Smirkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azharkamar
Hi! Hmmm... maybe you should put your cat in the toilet with the litter box in a corner and keep him there till he learns to pee and poo in the litter box. I did that for 3 of my cats for 3 times and it worked. 1 - 3 days of toilet seclusion.

Good luck~!
It is important to rule out a medical condition before trying anything else.
nikelodeon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement