New kitten hurting older cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default New kitten hurting older cat?

About a month ago I adopted a 5 month old male cat named E-Man. He is a dream, very mellow and sweet. The only problem is that I also have a 17 year old female cat named Isis that does not appreciate a young cat pouncing on her all the time.
I got a young cat in the first place because I had read that it is easier for an existing cat to adapt to a younger one. I know that he is young and is just playing so I don't want to punish him but Isis makes the most awful yowling noises when this happens. She doesn't seem to be afraid of him normally, so I don't know if he is actually hurting her or just bothering her. She is also very fluffy so I can't tell if he is scratching her at all.
I am worried because she is declawed and E-Man isn't so she's not really able to put him in his place. Is it possible that as her gets older and heavier he might get more aggressive? Or will he grow out of it? I have never had a young cat before! Any advice?
LeslieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: New kitten hurting older cat?

My female was 4 when I adopted a 5 month old male (last year), and from my experience the male is just trying to dominate the female, thats what males do. My male is still slightly aggressive towards my female, but when hes not chasing after her they get along great. If your kitten is anything like mine, one thing I would watch for is if he starts bothering her when shes in the litter box, because my kitten still sometimes does that, he will just go over and start sniffing around when shes trying to do her business. One thing that could help and make your kitten realize he shouldnt be attacking the female is everything he goes too far and maybe bites her or something, seperate him into a seperate bedroom for a few minutes to let him calm down. Good Luck!
KatBudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement