Cat Peeing Just Outside of the Litter Box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat Peeing Just Outside of the Litter Box

Hope someone can offer some help.

Every once in a while, I find urine on the floor literally just outside of the litter box, almost as if the cat backed up too far. But I really don't think that's the issue. The litter is scooped daily, refreshed/changed as needed and the litter put into fresh boxes every 2 weeks or less. There are two boxes for two cats.

Once I clean it up, things go back to normal. Then a few weeks later it will happen again. With two cats, I can't be sure who it is. Yesterday, it appears that they urinated more than once outside the box from the volume that flowed under the box and because there was little to scoop. Fortunately, the boxes are kept on a tile floor.

But I just wonder why this happens. Thanks.
cmw0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat Peeing Just Outside of the Litter Box

Possibly someone is urinating OVER the edge of the box. Many cats pee high. I am not a fan of covered boxes so I use very TALL boxes instead. Takes care of the problem. The bigger and taller your box the better. My fave is the Biddy Cat box:

http://www.biddycat.com/

It's not extremely tall, but b/c it's very large, and b/c of the shape of the bottom, even my cat who used to pee over the edge of boxes keeps it inside this one. Plus it's super easy to scoop and keep clean (be sure to watch the video).

If that's not it, you need to consider that one of the cats may have a urinary tract infection (UTI). Heidi n Q has a great post about UTIs which, hopefully, she'll add to this thread.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Thanks for the quick reply, hoofmaiden.

Your suggestion of a higher box to catch high pee makes sense. I would think if it was a UTI, I would find urine outside of the box more often than I am.

I saw your post about the biddy box last time you mentioned it. They're ingenious. And since I have to re-scoop when hubby scoops (since he can't seem to scoop in the corners) combined with this current problem, I might take another look.

Thanks very much!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Love the darn thing. That combined w/ the Dura-Scoop has made my litterbox cleaning time almost joyful.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Hoofmaiden, I see that you have 3 cats. Do you use more than one of these boxes? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I also thought it sounded more like someone was hanging their butt over the edge, instead of a full-blown UTI. Unless your problems continue, I think I'll wait for the UTI post. It is a lot of information, but it is pretty bluntly written, and if it doesn't apply for your situation it could come across as preach-y. We had a kitty who would begin peeing in the squat position and would slowly raise his hind end as he pee'd until he was standing full up and his pee was shooting over the sides of the pans! We switched to hooded literboxes (with the top charcoal filter removed) and then when we moved to Georgia we built a LitterChest that has the size and looks of a Hope Chest.

I had a thought:
Is it possible the little amount of pee-clump left behind by your husband is enough damp-organic-material to create an ammonia smell and it is putting a sensitive kitty off of going into the box unless they're delivering an even stinkier 'solid' package?
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Hi Heidi, thanks for your thoughts.

My husband only scoops a few times a week - Thursday which is trash day and Saturday or Sunday if I sleep late - so I don't think it was his poor scooping. We've left them for a couple of days during which they had far more stinkies than normal and we didn't have the problem, so think it was poor "seating" on the toilet.

Thought I'd gotten rid of that problem when the boy went off to college
Old 01-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829
Hoofmaiden, I see that you have 3 cats. Do you use more than one of these boxes? Thanks.
I have dogs, so all boxes must be protected from their snacking. I have one Biddy Cat box, which is in a closet with the door rigged so cats can enter but doggies cannot:

When I added box #2 (with cat #3), I had limited options for where to put it. I am not a fan of covered boxes, but w/ the dog problem and no more available closets, I had to use one. I didn't get a commercial covered box, though -- I made my own using a large Rubbermaid storage box. The only problem w/ those is that there is a channel on the bottom, which traps wet litter and makes the box smelly. So I wanted to put a REAL litterbox inside the Rubbermaid box.

I wanted to use a BiddyCat box for the interior box, but I was unable to find a Rubbermaid box large enough to fit the BC box into. So I used my old LB (very high-sided) inside the RM box:

There is a hole in the short end for entrance and egress:

And then I pushed the box up against a bookcase and used a piece of 2x4 to keep the dogs from pulling it out. This pic is before the 2x4 went in its just nailed onto the bottom shelf of the bookcase and I can easily swing the back of the box out, remove the top, clean, and replace.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

Very creative! Thanks for the visual - and Jonah looks so sweet checking things out.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You can't stop him! I clean LBs when he's in the bathroom eating b-fast b/c I literally cannot DO it when he's around. Has to be up in everyone's business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement