Me and the cat fighting over MY chair. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Me and the cat fighting over MY chair.

Ok so heres the background story before I tell you the story. Im not trying to one side you all, im just letting you know why I can claim rights on My chair! Lmao

Before azores was even born, or even thought of being conceived….i don’t even think her mom was born yet, I was stationed in Hawaii buying my first computer desk and chair. It took weeks to find that perfect chair. When I bought it, I bought it with MY own hard earned money and built it with these hands *raises worn cracked hands that has built computers, done firefighting and helped bring ships into port. >>Navy hands<<*
It was my butt that first sat on it, my arms that laid across its arm rests first. Even when it started to wear out, it was because of me.

Enter azores.

Since weve moved to d.c. ive caught her sleeping in my chair. Shes lucky I didn’t catch her hard. Cause at first, I didn’t know she was in my chair. The leather had cracked and torn off on the arm rests so I threw one of my twin size comforters over it. She had been sneaking in my chair while I slept at night and getting under the comforter. Unbeknownst to me, I sit in the chair. I get that loud meow and when I lift up the comforter there she is. Looking at me like wtf, as if im the one that’s out of line here!

She does this almost every night. Ive picked her up before I go to bed and sit her elsewhere but she goes back to it. I do things like turn the lights on and then throw the blanket off to give her a bootcamp wake up call, and she still does it. With or without the comforter she gets in that chair.

Its war now.

When I get out of my chair to go to the bathroom or do some other tasks, she hides in the corner, waiting for me. She peaks outside the doorway waiting for her chance. With my back turn she leaps in my chair and sprawls herself across it, claiming victory. Not even “mock sitting” moves her. I would literally start to lean down into the chair like im about to sit there and she doesn’t move. Sometimes she nails me in the butt, literally.

My husband wont help me. He refers to the chair as hers now. Im running out of options and I cant stand watch to make sure she doesn’t go into it. I even threw bread crumbs of cat treats leading to her hammock or cat tree to persuade her elsewhere to no avail. She retaliates by constantly meowing at me while im in the chair, distracting me from Farmville on facebook or watching tv, attempting to jump in it. She even leaps on my lap, purrs and lays there for a little bit, and then bolts. She knows I love lap cats, she teases me!

Even now, as I am at work, I know shes in my chair, in bliss, dreaming of cat treats and catnip.

Its my chair, I earned it! If she wants one, claim someone elses! Or try to build one with her lack of opposable thumbs…..
Jadedea Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Me and the cat fighting over MY chair.

Face it: Azores pwned you! ...you want the best seat in the house? You gotta move the cat.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Its a war youve already lost
faithless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Fay claimed my computer chair long ago. I've found it's not that hard to type while kneeling and it's reduced my home computer time.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
Fay claimed my computer chair long ago. I've found it's not that hard to type while kneeling and it's reduced my home computer time.

lmao

i bet you do squats like a champ!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

My Bella's doing that to my dad's chair in the kitchen. It's really my chair. I bought it, brought it home, put it together. But then I offered him the chair once when he was doing his grumpy old man act on me. Then it became his. Now Bella (living with us less than 2 weeks) has started claiming it as her own.

She doesn't scratch it, right? I had a cat who claimed a chair by turning it into her personal scratching post. No amount of tempting or teasing her away to a proper scratch post would dissuade her.

BTW, we must see pics of this chair squatting kitty!
BroganMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

ok head on over to "meet my kitty" shes there.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
I found the same thing! Except, with 3 knee surgeries, I couldn't kneel so I get a folding chair and Oreo gets the good one!
luckyducky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm firmly convinced the reason my cats like the computer chair is because I spend so much time sitting there. The Human could sit anywhere in the house she wants, but she decides to sit on The Chair. Therefore obviously it's the best place.

For a while the cats had divided The Chair such that Misty got from morning through early evening and Stormy got all night. Misty got very put out when I was home on weekends or was working from home and thus cut into her chair time. (She still is, but the division of chair time between Misty and Stormy has been less rigid of late -- or, more likely, I just haven't figured out the terms of the new treaty yet.)

When I get up to get a drink during Misty's chair time I come back to find her sitting in The Chair. Sometimes if she hasn't jumped up yet as she sees me approach, she'll jump up really quickly, then lie down very deliberately, her eyes on me the entire time. "See? MY CHAIR NOW." Then when I throw her off, she sits on the throw rug with her back to me and sulks.

Stormy likes to sit on my lap when I use the computer. At first I thought she wanted to be on my lap. Then I discovered that when I move to the sofa, she stays on The Chair instead of coming with me. I realized she doesn't necessarily want to be on my lap... she wants to be on The Chair, which I just happen to be sitting in!

For a while Stormy would jump on my lap during what was normally Misty's chair time. When I got up to use the restroom and came back to find Stormy on The Chair and Misty on the throw rug sulking, I realized I was nothing but a pawn in the Great Cat Chair Wars.

Aside: The Great Cat Chair Wars are second in importance only to the Great Cat Bed Wars. (The Great Cat Shelf Wars are a distant third.) Apparently at some times a queen-sized bed can only hold one human and one cat, and the right to be the one cat must be carefully negotiated. Misty gets to be the one cat when I go to bed. After much argument -- I once woke up because they were on the foot of the bed fighting -- now Stormy gets to be the one cat when I wake up. Sometimes, just to confuse me, I'll wake up in the middle of the night to find both cats. Why the bed holds 2 cats in the middle of the night -- and when I'm awake -- but only one cat at each end of the night is a mystery.

Back to The Chair. Sometimes when I'm only going to be on the computer for a few minutes I sit on the front edge of The Chair so as not to disturb the cat. Misty tolerates this but Stormy occasionally turns around and bites me in the butt. (At this point I throw her off because... hello, The Chair is MINE!)

You can throw Azores off The Chair when you want to use it, but you'll never get her to stay off. That chair is prime sitting real estate! The fact that you want to sit in it so much is proof that it's the best place!

I strongly suspect that when I get a new computer chair (I wanted to get one like my office chair... then I found out how much they cost! Oof!) the cats won't want to sit on the old one. I no longer sit there. Therefore it's obviously no good anymore.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

And people say that cats can't be trained. They can, they just train themselves into conning their whipped "owner" into doing whatever they want.

I think I now know the true definition of "cat".

Con
Artists with
Tails
luckyducky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement