Cat suddenly attacking me for no reason - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat suddenly attacking me for no reason

Hi my ten month old cat has suddenly started attacking me for no reason. she is normally very good natured and friendly cat but in the last three weeks she has attacked me three times. each time it has been in the morning and i am in bed and she come up on the bed purring like mad. then she settles down and curls up but her tails is swishing back and forth and she is still purring. sometimes she nips me ( and I take this to be a sign of affection) but then the last few times she has just gone for me like something possessed and i have had to force her to let me arm go she has dug her claws and teeth in so hard! Does anybody have any ideas why she has suddenly started doing this? many thanks
dazzledar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Cat suddenly attacking me for no reason

Others may know more about this than I do, but I have a feeling it's an affectionate thing even when she won't let go. Murphy does the same thing -- snuggles up with me in the middle of the night, kneads the bejesus out of my arm, then bites. I think it's all part of the same affection trilogy -- snuggle, knead, bite. That doesn't make it hurt any less, of course.

My only idea so far has been to make sure there's a layer of bedspread or sheet between my arm and him. He also stops doing it for long periods at a time, so I think it may also be a phase, like so many other things kitties do!

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

That sounds pretty normal. My cat did that too when he was younger. He still does once in awhile. I always sort of thought it was his way of figuring out who was the top cat in the house....me or him....lol..I'm still not sure who is top cat....lol.....If he didn't sleep on my bed he would sit in the middle of the doorway facing in and attack if I got up during the night and tried to leave the room. Not serious attacks mind you.....no blood drawn etc.....but still kind of scary....eventually he just stopped doing it...I always thought of it as cat puberty.....the equivalent of human teenage years....lol
stevescott213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

She has gained enough confidence in herself and trusts in you enough to feel safe pouncing on you. She doesn't know she is hurting you. She feels you have had sufficient sleep and it's time to wake up and play.

You just have to make her realize she needs to be more gentle 'cause you don't have fur to protect you from her playful claws and teeth.
John
eternal angel Arianwen
gunterkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Cricket nipped me last night. I was petting her as usual, scratching under her neck. She pulled my fingers closer with her paw (sort of hugging me close to her) and then bit. Shocked me so much I screeched "Ouch!" and we both pulled away. I did go back and bet her more later, but she was a little more distant from me. It could have been her wanting to sleep or just not sure what affection was proper for her human friend. Cats usually do a lot of sniffing, licking and will nip each other, sometimes with full open-mouthed jaws. It doesn't hurt them with all that thick fur.

I always thought the way to teach your cat not to bite you was to say "ouch!" and pull away from them to ignore them a while. Like kittens do when their play gets too fierce and one gets hurt. You'll hear a loud screech then they walk away from each other, the offended ignoring their assailant and sometimes making a big production out of grooming themselves within eyesight of the offender. it's a kitty's way of saying "You hurt me and I am way too pretty to hurt."
BroganMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
it's a kitty's way of saying "You hurt me and I am way too pretty to hurt."
Well, they have a point.
faithless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledar
Hi my ten month old cat has suddenly started attacking me for no reason. she is normally very good natured and friendly cat but in the last three weeks she has attacked me three times. each time it has been in the morning and i am in bed and she come up on the bed purring like mad. then she settles down and curls up but her tails is swishing back and forth and she is still purring. sometimes she nips me ( and I take this to be a sign of affection) but then the last few times she has just gone for me like something possessed and i have had to force her to let me arm go she has dug her claws and teeth in so hard! Does anybody have any ideas why she has suddenly started doing this? many thanks
I hate to say it, but that is the nastiness of teenage catness. Bella, 9 almost 10 months, is becoming a big bother. She did the whole pounce and attack thing for about a month, then suddenly stopped. Now's she's back at it. Your kitty is basically trying to get you to play with her. Best line of defense is to carry a water bottle around and squirt her if she does it again, or something that makes a loud noise that can (air can or jar of pennies) scare her when she tries it again.

'Chelle
ChelleBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Basement Cat says' that water bottles and loud noises can make your cat afraid of you rather than it's own behavior.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

It could also be that she doesn't want you to move your arm. Sometimes when a cat is grooming another (esp mom to her babies) and they try to move, the cat will give them a warning bite to get them to hold still. When Nito decides he wants to groom my arm or my head, he'll bite me if I try to escape from him before he decides I'm good and clean. He always does this at night when we're in bed.

Like BroganMC said; you might find it effective to give a high pitched "OUCH!" or a squeak or a squeal of pain when your kitty bites you. Something to let your cat know that it hurt you. Roll over, fold your arms, and pull the blanket up to your neck and ignore kitty for a while afterwards. If the cat is persisting and continuing trying to bite you, you can also give it the message by doing the human's version of a hiss. If I don't have a stuffy nose, I can achieve a realistic sounding hiss by exhaling sharply through my nose. It's effective in getting my scavenger kitties to back off when I'm trying to eat a meal in peace and they want to snatch food off my plate. A sharp hiss gives them the message "BACK OFF"

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
Basement Cat says' that water bottles and loud noises can make your cat afraid of you rather than it's own behavior
Mezzanine cat says most cats don't respond well to negative reinforcement from silly primates.
Better to use the "fun stops when play is too rough" teaching method.
John
eternal angel Arianwen
gunterkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement