Why does she slap me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Why does she slap me?

Of late when I pet Cricket she does the weirdest thing. First she rolls over and gives me her head, neck and belly. She purrs like mad. Then when I start to stop and just give her one last body stroke she slaps me with her front paw. No claws, just a good paw slap. When I react (usually with an exclamation of some kind) and pull away she looks at me like "What?!"

Sometimes she'll get up and follow my hand as if asking for more petting. Other times she just stares at me a moment (long enough to see I'm not coming back) and settles down to sleep.

I think the paw slap is her way of telling me to stop, but then she asks for more petting? When she is cuddling/grooming with her sister they frequently switch between gentle licks to wrestling matches and back again. Is she thinking I'll wrestle her too?
BroganMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Why does she slap me?

She could be seeing if you want to play. It certainly seems as though she notices the difference between being petted and 'the last pet' which lets her know it is ending soon. She could be expressing her displeasure at the change in petting and/or knowing it will be ending soon? Maybe she is 'challenging' you to stay and continue petting her?
I would LOVE to get in a cat's head for a day, just to see what/how they think.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ha, I was saying something similar. How old is Cricket again? I think it's some kind of play business. Miu started to smack enough that I considered changing her name to Smacky. LOL. No claws out, just plain smacking. My sister bent down to pet her, and when her hands were down far enough, Miu just gave her an ol' one, two with both paws before scampering away. I think it's hilarious. Or else maybe I'm senile, but I laughed when she smacked me in the face once.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Cricket is 9 months old.

So maybe she is trying to get me to play with her. Except it never works because I take it to mean she wants me to stop touching her. I play with her plenty with other toys (wand toys, balls, mice, ticklers, laser lights). Things she can chase and chomp down on or claw to her hearts content without damaging me.

I do notice she tries to engage us in a game of chase now and then. She'll hide behind a door and wait for her sister. When Bella walks by, she pounces at her (not really touching her just jumping out at her) then turns and runs in another direction. If Bella's in the mood to play she chases Cricket and the game evolves into Cricket chasing Bella or a little wrestling/grooming match. Sometimes (especially in the last couple weeks) she'll do the same hiding, pouncing and running away when either my dad or I enter a room. The other night was hysterical. The girls had been playing all afternoon and he was just coming in the door. Cricket hid behind the door, glancing at me now and then as if to tell me to keep her secret, then he opened the door and she pounced (a big springy jump on her toes right in front of him, held for a moment looking at him) and ran off into the sunroom.

Should I try playing with her when she smacks me? I don't want her to start clawing or biting me. Maybe use the tickler or something else?
BroganMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

HAH, BroganMC... that's the exact same thing Miu does. It'll be with anyone, either Rocky the dog or any of the humans. Hiding and then pouncing at the ground in front of the feet, then dashing off at top speed. I think it's a signal saying 'catch me, I wanna play!' She's still young and playful. It's hard to wear out a growing kitty! Continue to play with her if she smacks but substitute toys in lieu of your hands.

Well, I'm no expert and Miu still bites me on occasion. However, from what the other members say, whenever the cat bites, you can do one of several things (they haven't really 100% worked for me in the long run...but all cats are different).

1) Pushing your hand into her mouth in order to startle her or do the opposite of what she thinks you're going to do. She might let go at that point.

2) Substituting a toy into her mouth to show her it's okay to bite the toy and not you.

3) Emit a high pitched 'I'm hurt' cat sound. Hopefully, she'll get the message that this hurts and will stop.

4) Don't jerk your hand away fast and immediately as this may appear like you're playing with her.

5) When she bites, take your hand away slowly, turn your back and walk out of the room. Sometimes, affectionate/clingy cats may get the idea that if they bite = no more attention.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement