Cat back from the vet, and other kitties hiss at him - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Cat back from the vet, and other kitties hiss at him

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I'm desperate for some help with my beloved cats. I have three, a maine coon, a tonk, and a british shorthair.

Recently my mother accidentally locked the british shorthair, Winston, out on our deck and he suffered a heatstroke. Luckily I returned from work and caught him in time to bring him to the vet and prevent any serious damage. I can't imagine how scared he was the whole time, but somehow throughout the whole ordeal he remained loving towards humans.

Now, the problem is that upon bringing him home my other two cats have acted as if he were a stranger, hissing and growling whenever he entered the room. It breaks my heart that this would happen after what he went through, and he's beginning to grow afraid of them. They used to get along so well!

Do you guys have any tips I can use to get them to warm up to him again?

Here's a pic of him, thankfully healthy again
MissPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Re: Cat back from the vet, and other kitties hiss at him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPJ
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I'm desperate for some help with my beloved cats. I have three, a maine coon, a tonk, and a british shorthair.

Recently my mother accidentally locked the british shorthair, Winston, out on our deck and he suffered a heatstroke. Luckily I returned from work and caught him in time to bring him to the vet and prevent any serious damage. I can't imagine how scared he was the whole time, but somehow throughout the whole ordeal he remained loving towards humans.

Now, the problem is that upon bringing him home my other two cats have acted as if he were a stranger, hissing and growling whenever he entered the room. It breaks my heart that this would happen after what he went through, and he's beginning to grow afraid of them. They used to get along so well!

it is normal.. that strange smell they are not familiar with from clinic on your cat.. give it day or two they will be just fine.
sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPJ

it is normal.. that strange smell they are not familiar with from clinic on your cat.. give it day or two they will be just fine.
That's probably true. None of them have ever been to the vet for more than an hour before, and he was gone for two whole days. They were all neutered before I got them, so I'm not used to having this happen. I think I'm also just freaking out because I'm over worried about him after him getting heatstroke.

Thankyou!
MissPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

While you are waiting for the cats to readjust, don't try to force them together. They will get better in their own time, but trying to help the process along could cause issues.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You could try the vanilla trick. Put a drop of vanilla on the back of their necks, so they all smell the same. Take a towel and rub it on all of them mixing their scents.

Winston is adorable.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Great answer to a perplexing question.
I had that same question last year. But I didn't know
to ask here.
Good luck with the vanilla.

I really love this place.
I learn something new every time I visit.

Thanks all,
cuzmare
cuzmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats recognize each other by scent more than any of their other senses. By spending a couple of days at the vet, their "family scent" changes to something unfamiliar. So the once-loved family member gets hissed at when they come home.
Marie's good advice will help.
John
eternal angel Arianwen
gunterkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement