Miu went a little crazy with the biting - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks for your reply catloverami, very grateful that you are following my predicament and offering help.

Yes, she is an alpha type. I've considered barring her from the room during the night, but one time I did that, she chewed up the cable in front of my door. She's very ...affectionate. She likes to be with people most of the time. She has almost the entire rest of the house to herself, Rocky the dog sleeps behind my mom's closed bedroom door so if I close my door, she'll be alone. I felt sorry for her so I didn't want to close my door. Just figured being wakened by cats is part of the cat parent territory, but the biting is not!

She's not free fed. She gets breakfast at 7am, dinner at 5:15-5:30p and a snack at 1am. She's 7 pounds and 11 months old. I feed 1/8 cup dry breakfast, half a 5.5-6oz wet can dinner and a handful of dry for snack.

I have two more options I can try. One, is to lock her up in her cat room overnight, but I don't want to do that unless it's a last resort. Two, buying an automatic feeder that feeds her in the morning so she learns not to bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
I know I wouldn't like to be wakened up with a bite on my hand. Often cats that are dominant in nature when they're hungry really feel cranky and will attack you or cat playmates before they get fed. She's pretty dominant and alpha in her personality. I think you should consider barring her from the bedroom at night, so you can get a good night's sleep. Mind you, she will scratch at the door and meow her head off, so do you have another room she could stay in other than the bathroom? By the way, pouncing on feet under a blanket is standard predatory kitty behaviour---most like to do that.

Are you free feeding her with food left down all the time? If you are I would change that to specific meals. What food are you feeding her and what quantity? At her age, she can be fed twice a day in the morning and evening with some treats mid-day or early evening. Feed her evening meal just before you go to bed in the room where she will stay for the night, and feed her when you get up in the morning. Hopefully that will stave off her hunger attacks. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Premier Cat

I would opt for keeping her in a separate room at night to break her of the cycle of coming in waking you and biting. I think if you do that for several months she may outgrow her "bratty" behaviour. By having her main meal later at night she wouldn't likely feel as hungry and as aggressive as she does in the morning when you're trying to get her food ready. I have not used an automatic feeder, so can't comment on that. If you give her an active play session before her last feeding to tire her out, she'd likely be ready to sleep after eating her meal. Cats do well with a routine as most animals do, so you'd have to be persistent to stick with it, even tho she may protest for a while being shut out of your room at night. My cats have always done well on this routine and have for many many years, since I need an undisturbed sleep to function well. I do allow them cuddle time in bed tho for a nap if I have one.

As far as her food is concerned, cats generally do better on a good quality grain free canned food (eg. Wellness), but since she does get some dry make sure it's "grain free" (no corn or soy) or anything like that. There are good ones on the market these days that are grain-free and high in protein. My cats like a bit of kibble too. I like the EVO Ancestral Diet brand. I found I actually had to feed less of it or they start putting on weight. Soon I hope your cat will settle down.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Well, the automatic feeder did not work well. She figured out how to get the tray out in 2 minutes...so back to the store it goes.

I gave her a pretty active play time last night with the laser pointer to the point where I heard her panting. Also, she was pushing her luck playing with a wire. I said NO several times, tapped her on the nose and her reaching paw, but to no avail. Finally, I water squirted her and she stopped. These two things may have helped her not attack me this morning. In fact, she only came running in when she heard my alarm.

I got thinking and I'm going to try another method. I try not to let the alarm go off because previously I didn't want her to push me to get up after she hears it. However, I now think it's the opposite. If I train her that as soon as she hears the alarm, I'll feed her, she has something solid to trust. Perhaps her biting is that she's anxious I may forget to feed her. I wake up fast so I don't mind getting up as soon as the alarm sounds.

I feed her Orijen dry food.

Again, I didn't want to shut her out of my room. Although she has a cat room she stays in when the family is out, my room is her second heaven. I'm in my room a lot and she follows me almost constantly to sleep and play in there. If I shut her out, she may feel abandoned.

Quote:
I would opt for keeping her in a separate room at night to break her of the cycle of coming in waking you and biting. I think if you do that for several months she may outgrow her "bratty" behaviour. By having her main meal later at night she wouldn't likely feel as hungry and as aggressive as she does in the morning when you're trying to get her food ready. I have not used an automatic feeder, so can't comment on that. If you give her an active play session before her last feeding to tire her out, she'd likely be ready to sleep after eating her meal. Cats do well with a routine as most animals do, so you'd have to be persistent to stick with it, even tho she may protest for a while being shut out of your room at night. My cats have always done well on this routine and have for many many years, since I need an undisturbed sleep to function well. I do allow them cuddle time in bed tho for a nap if I have one.

As far as her food is concerned, cats generally do better on a good quality grain free canned food (eg. Wellness), but since she does get some dry make sure it's "grain free" (no corn or soy) or anything like that. There are good ones on the market these days that are grain-free and high in protein. My cats like a bit of kibble too. I like the EVO Ancestral Diet brand. I found I actually had to feed less of it or they start putting on weight. Soon I hope your cat will settle down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like you're making some progress, and the alarm would work like a clicker, give it a try.

As for wires there are some kind of wraps or covers that you can buy to prevent chewing but can't remember what they're called. Did you try the Bitter Apple spray and that didn't work? or was that another poster? You could rub it with lemon rind, or wipe with vinegar or lemon juice, a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper or some hot sauce. Usually one taste is enough to deter the cat that this isn't something pleasant to chew. You might try covering wires with aluminum foil, or double side masking tape. Some of these suggestions might work.

Review and comments on Orijen you may find of interest: http://catfoodreviews.com/orijen-cat-food/

Last edited by catloverami; 08-27-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Additional info.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Let's hope so.

I'm thinking of getting cord protectors. She's kinda weird. She isn't deterred by citrus smells and I don't want my stuff smelling funky. She eats tape so that doesn't work either. Ha ha.

Oh thanks for reminding me about Orijen. For some reason, I forgot about their Australian fiasco. She's tried the Petcurean NOW treats and loves them. I think I'll try out their food too. I don't mind changing up her food now and then. It's good for her to have variety. I've done that ever since I got her so she's used to different foods. Currently, she's on a mix of Nature Variety's Instinct, Wellness Core, and Innova Evo (I heard they haven't changed formulas yet).

Quote:
Sounds like you're making some progress, and the alarm would work like a clicker, give it a try.

As for wires there are some kind of wraps or covers that you can buy to prevent chewing but can't remember what they're called. Did you try the Bitter Apple spray and that didn't work? or was that another poster? You could rub it with lemon rind, or wipe with vinegar or lemon juice, a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper or some hot sauce. Usually one taste is enough to deter the cat that this isn't something pleasant to chew. You might try covering wires with aluminum foil, or double side masking tape. Some of these suggestions might work.

Review and comments on Orijen you may find of interest: Orijen Dry Cat Food
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Update: Seems a combination of factor is helping my situation.

1) Kept up with the laser pointer games. It breaks her boredom and helps vent her built up energy from when I'm at work.

2) Spending more time with her. Teaching her some new commands. Also is helping with the boredom/built up energy.

3) Taking a more tough love approach. If she bites during play time, I stop, get up and leave abruptly. If she ignores commands to stop playing with something (ie: wires), I take a harmless thing like a placemat and hit the area beside her making a loud noise while saying NO or I do a water squirt depending on what's readily available.

4) I now set a 'food alarm'. So it goes off for breakfast and for her night time snack. So far so good. She's not bitten me yet in the morning for about a week now. I'm slowly healing. She seems to recognize what the alarm means. When it goes off, she comes running to me and 'leads me' to the food area.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Premier Cat

Yay! good to hear progress! You've got a smart cookie there for sure, just have to try and keep one step ahead of her. First thing you know she'll have forgotten about biting.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Okay, I more or less get the hang of how to deal with her. However, I have some last questions.

I know it differs with every cat, but I'm wondering how long it took you guys to get your cat 'on the ball' about such things. Like teaching them what and what not to do. To get that balance where you're living in harmony and know each other's comfort levels etc.

I find there's some days where it's alright, then there's backsliding where she forgets or something. I suppose the tactic is just to keep soldiering on?
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Tom Cat

lol oliver tried the biting thing with me. I used to hook my foot under him and toss him across the room. lol kind of like air hockey. Then make a loud noise. Really I follow everything up with a loud noise for him so then later on I just do the loud noise and he gets the hint.

Maybe you can get her a toy she likes. Oliver grew attached to my pencil holder and he drags it around and flings it in the air, attacks it, sleeps with it, harasses it, even occasionally humping it.

Should see if you could find something like that for her. She may benefit from it ^_^

(and as for on the ball oliver tends to learn pretty quickly what hes allowed to do and not to do. BUT some things are harder then others. like the things that he does within eyesight he learns quickly. with like jumping on the kitchen counters...we are still working on. He doesn't do it often but if I bleach them I'm constantly getting up to have him get down. but for every day don't get on the curtains, don't claw my sofa...it took about a month and lots of sit...get comfortable...get up...sit down...get comfortable...instantly have to get up...so just enjoy the exorcise lol)

Last edited by Olivers-Slave; 08-31-2010 at 12:29 PM.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

You toss your cat across the room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers-Slave View Post
lol oliver tried the biting thing with me. I used to hook my foot under him and toss him across the room. lol kind of like air hockey. Then make a loud noise. Really I follow everything up with a loud noise for him so then later on I just do the loud noise and he gets the hint.

Maybe you can get her a toy she likes. Oliver grew attached to my pencil holder and he drags it around and flings it in the air, attacks it, sleeps with it, harasses it, even occasionally humping it.

Should see if you could find something like that for her. She may benefit from it ^_^

(and as for on the ball oliver tends to learn pretty quickly what hes allowed to do and not to do. BUT some things are harder then others. like the things that he does within eyesight he learns quickly. with like jumping on the kitchen counters...we are still working on. He doesn't do it often but if I bleach them I'm constantly getting up to have him get down. but for every day don't get on the curtains, don't claw my sofa...it took about a month and lots of sit...get comfortable...get up...sit down...get comfortable...instantly have to get up...so just enjoy the exorcise lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page