Cat peeing on dog beds - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Cat peeing on dog beds

My 1.3 year old kitty has decided to pee once on my dogs mat, then a month later on his other bed. The other times she is using the litter box. She isnt fixed and I have no desire to fix her, shes not spraying..shes squatting. Why is she doing this? she uses the litter box any other time? If it continues I cannot keep her.
squeekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I wrote this some time ago as a response for someone else but the information remains relevant and lately I seem to be getting a LOT of use out of it. First get a UTI exam/sample for veterinary diagnosis and proceed from there with pursuing any behavioral or environment issues, but the medical conditino of UTI *must* be ruled out FIRST. If your cat(s) is/are male, just replace she/her with he/him.
I apologize if this sounds blunt, it isnít meant to be, it is simply the most expedient way for me to share all of the information you need to be informed.
=^..^=

Inapropriate Urination / UTI
The NUMBER ONE REASON CATS PEE INAPPROPRIATELY = Urinary Tract Inflamation. (UTI)
Diagnosis is with a vet checking a urine sample. There is no other way to diagnose this medical problem. Depending on diagnosis (infection, inflamation, crystals) treatment can include antibiotics, anti-inflamatories and/or a diet change to help get more moisture into their elimination systems.
If someone does not take their inappropriately eliminating kitty to the veterinarian to rule out a possible (and easily treatable!) UTI medical problem and still chooses to get rid of their cat, then I think they will have done their kitty a grave disservice if the cat has a medical problem and the owner did not seek/give their pet the medical care needed to solve the issue.

Cats are naturally neat and tidy animals.
They *know* what a litterbox is for.
If a cat is *not* using their litterbox, they are trying to *tell you something* and you need to listen.

AFTER a veterinary visit and UTI has been eliminated as a problem, then you can move on to examining other areas:
Is the cat spayed/neutered? ...unaltered cats can develop UTIs due to hormonal changes from instinctual mating behavior...
Has the home been stressful for the cat? ...cats can develop UTIs due to stress...
Does the cat like the litterbox? ...open-tray, hooded, deep enough litter, large enough box...
Does the cat like the location of the litterbox? ...is it in a quiet area, low traffic and no sudden noises...
Does the cat like the litter used? ...some cats prefer different litters...
Does the cat approve of how clean the litterbox is kept for it? ...many cats will refuse to use 'dirty', and especially *smelly* litterboxes...
Are the litterboxes arranged in such a manner as they cannot become a trap? ... some multi cat households can have a problem with another cat either guarding the LBs or waiting to ambush a cat exiting a LB in an effort to play

Cats WANT to use a litterbox to hide their waste. If they are not, it is because there is some sort of problem and avoiding the litterbox is The Only Way for the cat to tell you It Is Having A Problem. If you and your family are annoyed at this behavior, imagine how *frustrating* and *painful* this is for your cat, who is trying to tell you in every way she has available to her: She Is Having A Problem...UTI's are painful and the kitty tries to find places to pee where maybe it *won't* be painful, like soft piles of clothes, bedding and rugs. When the pain *still* isn't going away by peeing on soft things, they start to pee on 'smooth' things like floors, tables, sinks, tubs, stoves and countertops. IMO, when a cat reaches the point of peeing on your countertops AND/OR peeing *right in front of you while looking you in the eyes* ... please don't get upset, the kitty is simply trying to tell you she has something wrong with her.

After medical treatment, diet can play a large role in helping to keep UTI's at bay; more moisture, as in a wet food or RAW diet. Even a better quality dry food and not feeding "McKittyCrack" (which is what I call grocery-store available catfoods) can help the kitty stay healthy. There are plenty of topics in the Health/Nutrition Forums to help you find a good catfood and/or diet for your kitty during and after treatment.

Good luck, we really *want* you to be able to help your kitty. Please let us know how things go...the information you share could help other people in similar situations, too.
heidi =^..^=

Last edited by marie73; 07-27-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default She may be having "silent heats"

As Heidi says you should have had her checked out by a vet that there is no UTI.

Because she is peeing (marking) about every month for a while she may be having "silent heats" where she isn't vocalizing. Female cats will mark or spray when they are in heat, sometimes this is your only sign. You really should get her spayed, as to leave a cat to continue to go through heat cycles can be detrimental to her health and she may develop mammary tumors. These are usually malignant and can spread to the rest of the body.

Mammary Tumors and Cancer in Cats

Last edited by marie73; 07-27-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: removed link
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The above two posts say it all; it's the best advice available online; I suggest you pay attention to it.
icatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I agree with the above answers and I don't understand why you don't want to spay her. She will be a much happier cat and you'll be happier too.

Kathy
razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I dont spay for my own reasons. Vets want to much money and they lied to me when I got my dog neutered. They told me he would have no interest in my neighbours in heat female anymore. Yet he bred to her 3 months after being fixed. He constantly stresses over her..they lied to me.

Anyway I wont spay her. She been to the vet about it the first time she peed outside her box and the vet said she was healthy.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My apologies ... but NO veterinarian can spay or neuter instinctual mating behavior out of any animal, and most especially not when spaying or neutering a pet who has reached sexual maturity. Yes, they generally will lose that interest ... but it isn't uncommon for that behavior to remain.

Last edited by Heidi n Q; 07-27-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well when I got my dog fixed I told my vet the only way I would ever neuter is if they showed no interest in in heat females etc. He told me he wont show interest, wont be able to get an erection, breed, cant ejaculate, wont hump, mark etc. He humps everything that moves, marks outside like mad, doesnt like other males that challenge him (where as before he could care less), he does in fact get erections (when he humps cat), he has bred and tied with a female in heat and constantly whines to get at her.

So we are all saying my vet lied to me? I think he did just to get him fixed. From puppy hood till I got him fixed at 11 months I had no desire to breed him, nor neuter him as I have owned intact males before no issues and I find them easier to work with. But thats me

Now for the cats, could it be the litter? I accidently bought non clumping and this is when the peeing started. Its not all the time..only twice so far outside the litter box on the beds. I may try buying new litter Friday when I get paid and see if putting them back on the normal litter works.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Did your vet do a urinalysis? The fact that she's peeing on soft surfaces really sounds like UTI to me. If it is happening at regular intervals it could be related to her hormones, given her age, I would say that is likely. Spaying your cat is the best thing FOR YOUR CAT and honestly, what YOU think or feel about it shouldn't enter into it at all. Spaying may not stop all interest in mating, but it very well may SAVE HER LIFE, so I'd say its worth it.

Also, the fact that your dog is neutered but still mating isn't a complete loss, at least now hes not impregnating her and causing yet more unwanted puppies that will die in shelters. Plus, your dog will likely live longer. If nothing has gotten worse, I don't see the down side at all!

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Urine Marking by Female Cats

"For female unspayed cats in a natural setting, urine marking is a normal behavior used to attract a mate. In urine marking, the cat will sniff the target area, bend all legs slightly, and urinate a small amount on a vertical object. Some cats crouch to spray."
Xanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement