Agression in neutered male cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Exclamation Agression in neutered male cat

Hello all, well i came on last week about an bite wound my male cat got after a fight with a neighbourhood siamese cat. Well the owner has been yelling at me that my cat is aggressive and should be alive! (i will point out his siamese is NOT neutered and is just as bad). My make does have a temper when hes just been woken up etc, but we are working on that at home. I have seen some of the less aggressive fights, just yelling at each other, an even though Arnie is bigger, they were both just as bad.

Since Arnie is already neutered im pretty sure there's nothing i can do, any ideas or advice??

He does still hump everything, even though has was done 6 weeks ago now, but i know id was done properly as he had one undecended testicle they had to go in and find.

Please i dont want to have to keep him inside for fear the neighbour will do something nasty to him. His wife is reasonable, and we talked, i explained everything and told her id done everything i could, and she agreed, we are hoping its a territorial thing that may simmer down, any ideas????
Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

You might not like the first thing that comes to my mind....why does he need to go outside? It would be a lot better for him to stay inside (or to only be outside when you are right there, watching him to make sure he doesn't get hurt). Next time he gets into a fight, whether it's his fault or not, he might be injured a LOT worse.

I didn't read your old thread- what are your reasons for letting him be an outdoor cat?
paperbacknovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

For the sake of your kitty and theirs, you should really think about keeping him inside. Cats can, and do, lead very fulfilling lives indoors. It protects them from all the diseases and parasites that are out there, as well as fighting with other neighborhood cats. If Arnie likes the outdoors, invest in a leash and a harness and take him for walks. But you really should consider making Arnie and indoor cat.

Last edited by RowdyAndMalley; 08-11-2010 at 03:54 PM.
RowdyAndMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sinatra cries to go outside since he was a stray cat before the Humane Society got him, so I take him out on a harness and leash. I would never forgive myself if he got hurt out there without me.
Sinatra-Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyAndMalley View Post
It protects them from all the diseases and parasites that are out there, as well as fighting with other neighborhood cats.
...and also protect him from other people. (This is actually what scares me the most about my cat(s) getting out.) And in your case, the owner of the other cat doesn't seem trustworthy at all. I agree with everyone else that keeping him indoors is the best thing you can do for him, and I'm sure he'd absolutely love being out on a harness. I do the same for Sigma

P.S. Where do you live? Here in Holland, a lot more people keep their cats outside than they do in North America but there is less for them to contend with in regards to wild animals like raccoons and coyotes. Though, personally, I'd still never let my cats out.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

He just loves it, im in the UK where is the norm to have outdoor cats, which is what ive done in the past. I agree about not trusting the other owner. For now he is only going out when one of us is home. I tried to keep him indoors, but he just escapes so much! In the end we decided he could go outside. Im torn
Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yeah, I understand that it's different in the UK as well. We are more apt to keep our cats indoors in North America because there is a totally different situation going on there. Since I think most of us are North American (I am Canadian but I live in the Netherlands now), perhaps you can call your local shelter and see if they have any ideas since they're more experienced with the factors involved. If you can't manage to get any advice from them, I can call the shelter here and ask them.

How old is Artie anyway? If he's still young, it may work to get him used to a harness and take him outside that way for a while, or attach him to a stake in your back yard while you're home and can keep an eye on him. We had to do that with our cat growing up because she bit a neighborhood kid after he tried to torture her with a stick that had a nail in it. (This was when I realized I'd never keep my cat outside if I had the choice, but I was 10 or so and was unable to convince my parents.) Anyway, after an entire summer of being tied up in the backyard, she never left the yard again for the rest of her years, even though she was free to go anywhere. So, perhaps you can "teach" him to stick around your yard by confining him there for some time. So your options are: put in some of your own effort to help him stay protected while still being able to go outside via my above suggestion; keep him inside which I'm sure he won't be a fan of; or let things go on as they are now and risk something happening to him at the hands of the other cat or its owner.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

you can always do what I did. Catch the neighbor's cat and have him neutered. It's money well spent.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
you can always do what I did. Catch the neighbor's cat and have him neutered. It's money well spent.
Actually, I think this is borderline criminal behaviour and I wouldn't suggest it...

A calm, thorough talk with your neighbour about getting his cat neutered may work, though, and will (hopefully) help to maintain a civil relationship with him. Perhaps, instead, you can offer to help pay for the surgery? Try to convince him that neutering is the best option for the betterment of both cats (not to mention it'll reduce the unwanted pet-population) since I doubt he wants to see his cat injured, either.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

How is it borderline criminal? I've done it a few times now (and my veterinarian knew these were not my cats). WHen my neighbors don't take care of their pets, I do. I've also taken a neighbor's cat to the vet to get its eye fixed since the neighbor was not going to do it. I know other cat ladies who have done the same.
It's really not much different than catching ferals and neutering them and re-releasing them.