Help! My cat just attacked me! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Help! My cat just attacked me!

Okay, I'm a liitle shocked right now. I have a Ginger Tabby named Marty who's one. He's a great cat.Affectionate. Playful. Loving. He's neutered and has all his shots and has never been outdoors. I was sitting on my couch and he walked up to me and I leaned forward and let out a growl/hissing sound. The next thing I knew he was lunging for my head, howling. He clawed me in two places and I was bleeding. It took me a couple of minutes to calm him down as he had his hair up and looked like he was going to pounce again. I'm stunned by this. I have two young daughters and I do not want this to happen to them. What caused this? My growl? Help!
Aerohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes. Don't do that again.

Okay, I'm just guessing....but I really wouldn't do that again.

Was that the first time you've tried that?

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I've played many times with him where I crouch down and meow/hiss at him. He's never attacked me. It's just so strange...I almost am afraid to play with him. (As he lays on my lap rubbing my face with his as I write this!)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe you just caught him off-guard.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Not sure why you'd want to growl and hiss at your cat for no reason, at best he'll start to avoid you, at worst...well...what happened tonight.

If you're going to use his 'language' then it needs to be used appropriately. I've hissed at my cats, but in a disciplinary situation, not to tease or get a rise out of them or playfully.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

He probably didn't even realize he hurt you; I also learned the hard way that play fighting with your cat is not a good idea!! Make sure you do not make those threatening noises again and always use a "barrier" when playing with your cat (toys, wand, blanket, etc...)
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Not sure why you'd want to growl and hiss at your cat for no reason, at best he'll start to avoid you, at worst...well...what happened tonight.

If you're going to use his 'language' then it needs to be used appropriately. I've hissed at my cats, but in a disciplinary situation, not to tease or get a rise out of them or playfully.
It was never meant to be menacing it was just playful banter. I won't be doing it again.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

he was probably threaten by your act.
sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerohip View Post
It was never meant to be menacing it was just playful banter. I won't be doing it again.
But cats don't understand hissing used in that context. When they hiss, they mean business. There's different levels of intensity depending on how threatened they feel, but they never hiss in jest. When they're feeling playful they chirp, trill and maybe purr.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My first cat ever was a female calico her name was patches. I picked her out when I was 4 and we grew up together. She was the sweetest cat and my best friend. She was very smart she would play fetch and I could hide her toy and she would wait in a room and then go find it and bring it to me. She could even open screen doors all by herself so we had to watch her when our wooden doors were open revealing the screen doors cause she would jump up and let herself out lol. When she turned about 6 or 7 years old one day my mom was walking up the hallway patches popped another cat we had at that time upside the head and my mom scolded her for it. I saw the scene and was joking with mom saying she is going to get you for getting on her and the next thing I knew patches went leaping through the air and attacked my mom. She was like a little wild cat her fur was standing up and it was like she went into attack mode she would jump up attack jump down jump up attack jump down repeat. My older sister and I managed to get her in a cat carrier and waited for her to settle down. About a month later my younger cousin was over spending the night and she was on her hands and knees and she hissed playfully at patches and that set her off again. We had to get towels over her to get her down to the floor and got her in the bathroom. She calmed down and was fine. Awhile after that I was just sitting on the floor and she was walking in my direction and she stopped and looked at me I didn't do anything. I didn't make a sound or anything and she ran and jumped on my head gave me a bad cut under my eye. We took her to the vet and expalined she was making people bleed and what could be causing it. She was an indoor only cat and we didn't have any male cats at that time so mom never got around to getting her fixed and they said she was going through the change and was acting out because of it. I always believed that since that is what the vet said but your cat is fixed and is a male so I don't know what to believe now.

After those 3 times she stopped doing it just as quickly as she started attacking people so I hope all goes well with your cat and that he doesn't do that anymore. I have seen that situation and as sweet and gentle as cats can be if you ever experience that you know that as sweet and innocent as they look they can really do some damage to you if they so choose.
April0684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement