How to stop kitten from jumping everywhere she shouldn't? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default How to stop kitten from jumping everywhere she shouldn't?

My kitten keeps jumping everywhere she shouldn't.

One time she tried jumping on my computer table but there were DVD cases where her legs made contact. Her legs slipped on them and she fall back down to the ground.

Her favorite thing to do is jump onto the kitchen counter and then play in the sink. I have put her back on the ground a million times, but she just jumps up there again.

A couple of times I tried putting her in her crate immediately after she went in the sink. Then she meowed and tried to bash into the crate to escape, and stuck her paws through the bars in the front.

When I let her out, she started purring right away and brushing into me. Then she went and jumped in the kitchen sink again shortly afterward. It seems like she doesn't associate going in the crate as a consequence of going in the sink?

What should I do to get her to stop going in the sink?

One of her goals for going in the sink and on the kitchen counter is to get the pieces of green nylon scouring pads which I use to clean dishes. I've had to remove those from sight so she doesn't eat them, but it would be even better if there was a way to make her stop being interested in them.
coonconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

There is no way to train a cat regarding action = consequences.

To keep kitty and belongings safe:
...keep things picked up for no access.
...do not leave things out that tempt her to these places.

If you want to leave those types of things out, all you can do is make them unpalatable so *she* learns immediately, herself, whether you are there or not. Squirt them with something like "Bitter Apple" or "Stop Chew". Be aware those nasty-tasting flavors will now be on the scrubbie and putting that nasty flavor all over whatever you're washing. Generally, it is just best to keep them put away.
I gave up on keeping cats off tables and counters. Now I use an anti-bacterial wipe on all food-prep and food-serving areas just prior to prepping and serving. All our kitties know to "Get down!" or "Stop!" if I see them on a surface or thinking about jumping onto a surface. These commands are ONLY EFFECTIVE when I am there to give and enforce them. You don't know what the pet is doing when you aren't home or aren't watching ... so I don't worry about it and use wipes every time.

Consistency and repetition are what 'trains' cats. And even then ... the cats still see them more as 'suggestions' instead of 'rules'. If we want pets in our lives it is US who must adjust. Sure, that doesn't seem very fair that *we* have to make allowances for an animal ... but since *we* are the ones with the ability to reason, that means WE understand what/why we make changes. Our pets can not, so we allow them to live as they are with few modifications to their natural behaviors so we can enjoy them close to us.
heidi =^..^=
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I squirt my cats with water (water ONLY), when I see them getting into stuff they shouldn't. After a while, they know they're in trouble if they even see me reaching for the squirt bottle.
But Heidi's right, I'm sure they get into stuff when we're gone.
If you don't want to contaminate your cleaning materials with bitter stuff for the cats, try putting double-sided tape along the counter (or around anywhere you don't want kitty). They don't like the feeling of their paws on that stuff. You'll probably have to change it ever so often to keep it sticky. On the floor (such as around a book case or hutch, etc.) put tin foil around it. Most cats don't like that either... but some do! Or try those carpet runners that have cleats, and put them upside down. Just try different things until you find something your kitty would rather not deal with to get to her temptations.
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Do you have something on which your kitten IS allowed to jump...such as a cat tree? If not, you might consider investing in one. Rather than trying to convince kittens what NOT to do, it is often more effective to give them an alternative that they enjoy. As for keeping them off the counters, I shake a can filled with coins and/or say "No", but that only works if I'm home (and sometimes not even then). As for keeping her out of the sink, you might consider putting the plug in and leaving an inch of cold water in the sink. I had water in my bathroom sink a while back and I went to grab a towel. Muffin didn't realize the sink had water in it, and in the few seconds I was gone, she jumped in -- and she quickly jumped back out again. She has not tried to jump in again since!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

When my cat does something she isn't supposed to, I have a spray bottle handy.

She used to love getting up on the kitchen counters and would knock stuff off of them. I started waiting in ambush when I knew she was thinking about it, and as soon as she jumped up - she got sprayed. It would scare the crap out of her, and she'd get down. After a few times, she stopped going up there.

Now, she sees the spray bottle, realizes what she's doing is a no-no and wants to avoid getting sprayed... So she stops what she's doing.
WaY_WeiRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

How does a kitten know what "shouldn't" means, in terms of where it's allowed to jump? Sorry, but that's not a concept kittens can grasp. Prevention is your only recourse if there are places you don't want your kitten on. There are many ways of deterring cats from going where they shouldn't; frankly, pretty much all of them are "works sometimes with some cats for a while" and most end up being wasted money. So, what to do? A change in attitude (allow the cat to go anywhere) or a change in lifestyle (close off the areas you don't want the cat to go).

Quote:
So she stops what she's doing
Righto.....until you're out of the room and can't see her doing it.

Reread Susan's and Heidi's posts: good advice, workable solutions.
icatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post
There is no way to train a cat regarding action = consequences.
Well, they understand INSTANT consequences well enough. Get on counter = get squirted with water or sprayed with a SSSCAT they take two times to learn tops in my experience.

The problem with what was being done is that its too complicated.

1) Cat action
2) Cat gets picked up
3) Cat gets placed somewhere
4) Cat doesn't like its location
5) Cat notices it can't get out

Step 1-5 is too complicated with too much time elapsed.

In short, buy this, put it where you don't want your cat to be, and in short order you can remove the SSSCAT and put it elsewhere as the cat still associates the counter space/sink w/ the negative reaction. Squirt bottle (or heck just a glass of water) is cheaper, but you have to ensure that the squirt isn't associated with you but appears to miraculously "just happen" out of nowhere.

Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've found it to be an exercise in futility to try to "forbid" a cat to go someplace it wants to go. A determined Ninja cannot be deterred. I have adjusted to them, I keep things put away, trashcan blocked, no food on counters or dirty dishes in the sink so that they can't get sick. Then I just deal with it. I agree that squirting with water or a presurized air canister will only deter them for the moment (and maybe make them scared of you) and isn't a lasting solution.
Welcome to cat ownership.

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Wait, you had a ssscat out on something for a week+, and you took it down, and they still went after the "protected" space after? Talk about some brave kitties, heh! Mine are chickens.

I've removed the ssscat, and my guys still avoid this juicy target like the plague since its seems they assume it was what was spraying them:

If you try to pick them up and get them near it, they slink away anticipating a blast.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Honestly, my cat Jax learned from getting sprayed with water. She seriously does not go on the counters anymore. And she's not afraid of me because of it. I don't claim to be a master cat trainer, lol, it just worked for us. Of course, she had to re-learn that counters are off limits when we moved to a new house.

She also knows what "No" means, and looks when her name is mentioned.
WaY_WeiRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement