Is is bad for cats to play with laser pointers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Is is bad for cats to play with laser pointers?

I got a laser pointer for my kittens and they love it, and I think it is great exercise because they run so much as opposed to most of their other toys. However someone told me it's not good to play with them with a laser pointer because they can never "catch" it and they get frustrated, and it's bad in the long run. Is that true?
rketto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

It might be true for some cats, but I can't imagine suggesting somebody deprive their kitties of something they obviously enjoy because they *might* feel differently at some point in the future. Cynthia & Penelope seem to enjoy the chase of the pointer as much as they enjoy the catch with other toys. Every now and then, I'll hide some treats or a *special* toy before I pull the pointer out, and lead them towards those things at the end of playtime. It's not something they expect or seem to need, but it makes me feel good, ha.
riotkittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't think it hurts them. MowMow loves the pointer and he knows where the light comes from. If I have it in my hand and don't turn it on fast enough he comes over and rubs against the pointer.

The only thing i ever heard was to never point it right in their eye, it could cause perm. damage.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

They still enjoy the hunt, it mimics an insect to their minds as far as I know. Eventually, they may just become bored with not being able to catch it, but by no means it is harmful and gives em good exercise. Later that day or whenever you can still give them a "successful" hunt by busting out another toy that they can occasionally catch and nomnomnom on.
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

As long as you don't shine it in their eyeballs, there's nothing wrong with a laser pointer.

My cats love the thing. In fact, when I go to the counter to pick it up, they know what's coming and start meowing and getting excited.

When I turn off the lights and go to the couch, they all come charging towards me knowing what is about to happen.

They play until they are tired out and never once have they been "harmed" by it.

I, too, will sometimes throw a treat to them at the end of it all but that's not for them to finally "catch" something, it's because I want to give it to them.
SerenityFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

My cats love lasers! Bella gets her hunter face on, and Kitter is getting old so he's starting to ignore it but soon it will time to teach Sparta!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

They should make a borg laserpointer attachment for cats.

It would keep them entertained indefinitely I would assume, as they would probably be slow to figure out that the dot on the floor moves when their head moves.

Market it as "LeCutest of Borg".

Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well, a laser is not going to psychologically scar them for life! I find both of my girls get frustrated playing with the laser, so although I've used it as a quick temporary distraction, I don't play with them using a laser. If your cats enjoy it and don't get frustrated, then I don't see the harm. If you start to see them getting frustrated, then you can stop. As others have said, you can always end the game with a treat or other form of "catch".
Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
They should make a borg laserpointer attachment for cats.

It would keep them entertained indefinitely I would assume, as they would probably be slow to figure out that the dot on the floor moves when their head moves.

Market it as "LeCutest of Borg".

Actually... I have something similar! lol. I don't remember where, but I once picked up a couple laser pointers that you attach to a velcro collar on your cat. It keeps Simone occupied for quite some time!! Pumpkin is too smart for laser pointers though; she always tries to get the pointer itself instead of the dot
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

@Swimkris: Kitter, my older cat does the same thing with the laser point! He knows where the laser dot is coming from and doesn't find it fascinating like Bella does! haha.