Looking for suggestions for trimming a VERY difficult cat's claws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Looking for suggestions for trimming a VERY difficult cat's claws

I hope this is the right forum to post this question in.

Lucy's our newest kitty and she's past due for a claw trimming. It was last done at the vet's six weeks ago right after we got her.
She's a scratcher and biter so I'd like to be able to trim her nails often without having to take her somewhere to have it done every time.

We've never had a problem trimming our other cats' nails. Even though they don't like it, they tolerate it without going nuts. I usually sit on my knees on the bed with the cat underneath me and I'm able to keep them still without actually having to hold them down, which they hate.

I'm about ready to buy some elbow-high gardening gloves to try to do it, but they would probably make it hard to handle the clippers.

I've looked at those kitty restraining bags that you can pull one leg out of at a time, but I can't see us actually being able to get her IN the bag. She's very skittish.

I currently have some Composure on order to see if that might calm her.

If anyone has any experience trimming a crazy kitty's claws without being shredded in the process, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Can you hold her and someone else do the trim or have someone else hold her while you do the trim?

Or if you need the gloves, maybe cut the ends of the fingers off, like sailing gloves or golf gloves, so you can still have the dexterity but have some protection?

Also wrapping her a towel with one leg out might help.
Nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

First of all, get her used to having her paws touched. Dab on a tiny bit of butter on her front paws. Soon she will look forward to having it done. When she's in a very relaxed state, gently massage the paws, stopping if she objects. When you get her relaxed to point that she doesn't resist the massage put a little pressure on joint to expose the claw. When she's comfortable with the massaging, and when she's sleeping or in a very relaxed state, clip one claw. Add one more if she doesn't object. After each clipping session, offer her a few treats. Do this after every clipping session. If you go very slowly and gradually and reward her, she will not likely make a fuss. Eventually she should come to look forward to having it done. When you get to that point, I find it easier to do the front paws with the cat sitting on the bathroom counter, and then have them stand while I snip their back claws. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

You know, we didn't even want to try simply picking her up and having one of us do the clipping because she's been so aggressive... we just never know when she'll decide to attack. She's very Jekyll-Hyde-ish. But hey, we just tried it! Despite our fears, it actually went well... for one paw, anyway. She was even purring When I tried to do her second paw, though, she swatted at me every time I tried to touch it. Maybe we'll try again a little later.

I had completely forgotten about trying to wrap her in a towel. We may try that also.
I will also try your suggestions, catloverami. I hadn't yet read your reply before we tried this.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

would a Pedi Paws help any?? I've never tried one myself but perhaps it would alleviate some discomfort and make the process less worrisome for your cat??
dianafaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

my double-pawed male tabby HATES having his claws clipped - and he's got 28!!!!
I wait until he's sound asleep (he snores...easy to know when he's out). I sneak up on him and clip as many I can before he comes fully awake. The little one in the center of his extra toes is the hardest to do. He gets a bit antsy when I start to do that one.
Mary_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

How about this?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

kwarendorf - Ohh, I want one of those bags. They have them on Drs. Foster and Smith, and I always consider putting one in my shopping cart.

Both Rochelle and Alice are difficult nail trimmers. Rochelle cries and howls and squirms around the second she sees me with the clippers...in general she acts like we're killing her. Alice is good for her back paws, but once we get to the front ones, she starts squirming and holding her legs close to herself, and refuses to give us her claws.

But I can say, that things are getting much better, now that we've got them on a strict schedule of nail trimmings every two weeks. They are becoming much more relaxed through the whole process, and of course they look forwards to the treats after wards.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
They have them on Drs. Foster and Smith
That's where I copped the picture from I'm lucky. Both of mine let me flip them over and get it over with.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarendorf View Post
That's where I copped the picture from I'm lucky. Both of mine let me flip them over and get it over with.
Haha, I thought that pic looked familiar... And you are lucky...I wish it was that easy around here!
Advertisement