Don't you BITE me!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Don't you BITE me!!

For the last several weeks, my 10 month old Dagny bites me (ever so gently though) when I pet him if hes lying down. He does this every single time. However, hes purring when he does it. When he comes to me of his own accord and gets in my lap, (only does this if Im on the floor, not in a chair or couch for some reason), or if hes standing up, I can pet him then without him biting me and he purrs and nudges. I do love to pet him and do it often. When he bites, Is this a sign that he does not want petting at that time, when hes on the floor, or that he wants to play? (I dont play with him after he bites me, I say NO! and walk away). Or that its just that he does not want to be petted at that time? What do you think?
goldenstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Depends. Could be love bites which are gentle. Or it could be that he wants u to stop. If so, then it might be accompanied by other signs such as using the paws to push your hand away and/or Swishing the tail back and forth.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It's a friendship thing. You've just basically told him off for saying "I love you". Gently bites show affection (think of it as a kitty hickey kind of thing).

First time Peggy did that, she bit my nose... my dad thought it was hilarious.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Lacey does this to me, too. It's definitely love If they want you to stop something, trust me you WILL know!

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yar, if he's not pushing you away or lashing his tail around it's just a love bite. My guy does that to my eyebrow ridge, cheekbone, or jawbone when he gets to snuzzling and loving. It's always very gentle and just a nip and then he goes back to snuzzing.

I don't normally mind it, except snuzzing also includes excessive drooling and that's just gross when he gets slobbering all over my face.

Dagny loves you Give him a love nip back. When we snuzzle I nip with my lips (like a bite without using teeth) over MowMow's ear and hold on to it for a second and let go. It makes him purr even harder.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If you don't like it, you can get him to stop by saying uncerimoniously dumping him on the floor and walking away or hissing slightly and walking away when he does it. I don't let my guys love bite me because when I did allow it they would very often get out of hand and break my wimpy human skin. They now know that human skin is not for teeth or claws.

If you don't mind the love bites and he doesn't get out of hand then I wouldn't worry about it
raecarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I did forget to mention that. MowMOw will occasionally bite too hard. From the first time he did it I would say "Ouch!" and then walk away and ignore him for a while. Now if i say "Ouch!" he lets go immediately and goes back to snuzzling.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Simone does the biting thing whenever I pet his belly (with his permission of course), and after the "bite" he always licks my hand. If Pumpkin bites though, I know that she is upset because she will also thrash her tail around in circles like a windmill.
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenstar1 View Post
For the last several weeks, my 10 month old Dagny bites me (ever so gently though) when I pet him if he’s lying down. He does this every single time. However, he’s purring when he does it. When he comes to me of his own accord and gets in my lap, (only does this if I’m on the floor, not in a chair or couch for some reason), or if he’s standing up, I can pet him then without him biting me and he purrs and nudges. I do love to pet him and do it often. When he bites, Is this a sign that he does not want petting at that time, when he’s on the floor, or that he wants to play? (I don’t play with him after he bites me, I say “NO!” and walk away). Or that it’s just that he does not want to be petted at that time? What do you think?
Sheilla, my neighbour's cat, has the same response to petting. She apparently gets overstimulated when she is being stroked.
You could try the following:
1. spray feliway around the house to help Dagny calm down
2. measure how long it takes before the kitty begins biting you and reduce the time you spend petting him accourdingly (let's say he bites you after about 4 minutes, so stop petting him after 3 minutes: a watch comes in handy when determining the time)
3. learn his signals which announce the attack; if he makes progress and sorts of calm down allowing to be stroked for longer, gradually extend the time used to pet him.
Hope it helps. Anyway expect some scratches and bites to come every now and then. My Sheilla has some issues with my cat now so appart from her usual overstimulation attacks I have to face the redirected anger attacks too, but I manage, yesterday I escaped without scratches which is great Oh, and never ever pet a cat on the belly unless he/she likes that. Cats curl into a ball immediately you do that and they scratch pretty badly!!!

Last edited by Modra; 01-24-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Modra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

My year old kitty also does that but I didn't know her as a kitten so I don't have a perspective on the change in behaviour. Genie likes being petted when she walks by and when she wakes up (purrs plenty) but will only tolerate it for a short spell. My impression is that she enjoys it but gets overstimulated and then wants to play. She will clasp our hands usually without claws and bite gently (still purring). I don't think it's aggressive but it means she's had enough petting and wants some fun. She is a bit of a demon for play. The key signal is that her tail will twitch too. If Dagny's tail isn't twitching and he isn't getting playful with his paws maybe it's just affection.
catnapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement