What is it with the gravy?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What is it with the gravy??

Aren't cats supposed to like what their ancestors liked, eg lukewarm raw meat? Why is it then than even my half-starving strays (and my house cat) will lick the gravy and leave the meat? What is so appealing about the gravy? My house cat won't even taste any meat I give it if it's not folded into commercial brand canned food gravy! It's not like prey comes folded in gravy in the wild...

I absolutely insist my cat eat chicken liver and hearts for the taurine and iron in them, so I need to make some homemade gravy that's as successful as the purchased stuff (which becomes expensive). That's why I'd really like to discover what exactly in the gravy it is that they love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Cool Cat

Just like the human food industry, a lot of time and money in the commercial pet food industry goes into manufacturing flavor additives that cats go crazy over. The cheaper grocery store brands especially tend to use things that are not necessarily great for cats but make the food taste very good to them. In this expose of commercial pet food practices I read, the author stated that sometimes even leftover fast-food grease is sourced as an ingredient in the flavor-sprays that go on some kibble.

In the same sense that it's hard to make home made meals for ourselves that taste as good as the salt-and-sugar laden products we can get at restaurants or fast food joints, it'll probably be difficult to make a homemade gravy that drives cats quite as nuts as the carefully-formulated pet food flavorings, simply because you'd need to add ingredients that aren't great for cats (salt, grease, artificial flavors, etc.) to achieve the same result.

However there are a couple sites out there that have some good recommendations on how to bribe finicky cats to eat raw. This site has a lot of good ones: Answers: Transitioning Your Finicky Kitties
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Oooh, I see! Thank you Saltenyo for the wonderful reply! I'm off to read those links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page