Dang cat always in heat... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Question Dang cat always in heat...

My calico cat is spayed, came spayed actually. We've been looking for a vet to spay our lynx cat, but they are all too costly, we found one, but won't be for 10+ days when we can make an appointment.
She seems to be in heat ALL THE FREAKING TIME. I've been tossing the two into the bathroom at night, it's just too much when I need to sleep. She will have 1 or 2 days of what we call 'clarity/sanity' but even those days she may stick her rear at you.
We haven't noticed any spraying, thank goodness! We are all sick of it. When my fiance[male] leaves the room where she can't go, she will call out in the normal in heat howling, until I talk to her or tell her to stop. Then she makes a cutsy meow/purr noise and comes running over to see what's up.
Anyway, is it normal that she seems to be in heat all the time with just 1 to 3 days 'off'?
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Short answer...yep.

Female cats have cycling heats. So for 3 months or so they'll cycle into heat with short breaks. The length of the break depends on your cat, so does the length of the cycle.

When she does cycle out she'll stay out about 1-2 months (that's how Jitzu used to be anyways) and then go back in. This repeats unless she's bred.

You're lucky you can do it in 10 days. Until then remember she can't help it, you can't stop it, and it's just as frustrating/irritating for your poor girl as it is for you.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

10 days only to be able to contact the vet. No idea when the actual surgery will be..
She also doesn't eat much during this time. Other cat is turning into a real fatty...7lbs, while the lynx is 5lbs. She just isn't interested in eating much...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Ah, I see. Well try and get her in ASAP. In the mean time make very sure she doesn't go outside, it only takes about 2 minutes for her to get pregnant!

It's fairly common for her not to be as interested in food. If you feed her a really good quality wet food she'll get the most out of it. How old is she?

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Have you tried your local humane society? They usually have 'spay day' sessions where the operation is free.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

They are indoor cats. One is really stupid and gets her claws stuck in random things for who knows how long and the lynx will bolt up trees or in front of cars. I have them on a leash from time to time.
No local anything, this place is 1hr away, others are 1.5hrs but then add crazy traffic and it being a bad neighborhood or 2hrs away and just too dang far.
Calico is 1.5yrs maybe and the lynx is a year or so.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Please don't blame your cat.
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
They are indoor cats. One is really stupid and gets her claws stuck in random things for who knows how long and the lynx will bolt up trees or in front of cars. I have them on a leash from time to time.
No local anything, this place is 1hr away, others are 1.5hrs but then add crazy traffic and it being a bad neighborhood or 2hrs away and just too dang far.
If its to get her spayed, isn't it worth it rather than having to spend another week and a half with butt in your face kitty?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
One is really stupid and gets her claws stuck in random things...
Okay, cats are NOT stupid. Anyone who lets their cats claws get long enough to get stuck in random things is...well, since I don't want to get in trouble, I won't say. But seriously, if you don't want your cats claws getting stuck, TRIM THE CLAWS.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Your cat is not "stupid" for getting her "claws caught in random things". You need to clip her claws with nail clippers every 3 weeks because they are constantly growing. Cat may damage a claw if it gets hooked into something.. Don't clip them so short that you cut into the "quick" or vein in the claw. Do it in an enclosed room (bathroom counter is good), and clip as many as cat will tolerate. Do others at another time if cat fusses, or while it's asleep . Make the session brief and as relaxed as possible. Give her treats right after the clipping. You want to make the session as pleasant as possible.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement