Neighbor's aggressive Savannah cat harassing my cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Neighbor's aggressive Savannah cat harassing my cats

My neighbors recently adopted a Savannah breed cat that looks to be a year old or so. They let it out at night and it has begun coming down to my house fighting with my older cat 4:00 AM. I go outside and it runs off. The neighbors live at the other end of my block so the cat is roaming a decent distance. My cat never leaves the yard and minds her own business. My vet had to clean up an infected scratch from one of the fights (during a visit for another issue).

My cat has a nice cathouse on the front porch that she otherwise can enter and feel safe in. But I think the Savannah cat starts to fight at her through the doorway as the towel I lay down for bedding keeps getting pulled out. Now my cat has stopped using the house even though I put the bedding back. I think she doesn't like being trapped in it when Savannah cat shows up.

I don't know the neighbors well but called and left a nice message explaining the situation. I'm not looking to start a problem between us so kept it very friendly and left the resolution up the them. They called back a week or so later and left an equally cordial message. Turns out they tried to keep the cat inside but it drove them crazy and started disturbing their sleep. I could hear in their voice that they were frazzled as the apologized and said they just had to start letting it out at night again so they could get some sleep.

Anything I can do to discourage this cat from fighting with my cat? It will run off when I approach it but that isn't stopping it from showing up.
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

take a hose out with ya and squirt away? lol no clue my two cats were like yours in the USA and they tag teamed anyone who came into their territory so bullies were never really a problem hope someone can help ya...just dont go down my grandpas old way of getting rid of birds, he used to cut a slit in the screen of the window and use his BB gun on em.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

For the safety of your cat I think you should keep it inside.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Truth, it's not generally safe for kitties to be out at night these days.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I would imagine Savannah cats come with a hefty price tag so putting that cat outside cause it was disturbing their sleep sounds like a lame excuse. And keeping a cat outside at night!!!! 'oy just looking for problems.
Yeah you can end the entire problem by keeping your cat inside too....even if they started keeping theirs in at night yours is still in danger. You can both solve this problem easy enough
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

.These people are not going to keep their Savannah in at night, so the best solution is to keep your cat in at night and let it out during the day, and hope they don't let their Savannah out during the day. If they do, then for the safety of your cat, make it an indoor only cat.

Unfortunately people don't do their homework and get a breed that has a wild breed in its background and then wonder why they're having problems. Cats like this often need special housing accommodations and exercise needs.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I had the same problem with a neighbours tom cat (not neutered) earlier this year that suddenly popped up on the block who kept coming and hanging around my back yard, pouncing on my 2 toms (been neutered) wanting to fight. Being as my Percival (RIP) then was very old and poorly I couldn't have him being bullied and scared to go out and sun himself on our shed (which he loved to do) so I invested in a child's hand water gun, and gave the cat (whose name I later learned to be "scratch") a little squirt for his troubles every time that he showed up, this lasted all of 3 days before he decided it wasn't worth his while and gave up. Sounds wicked I know BUT it worked and he now stays well away!

If tears could build a stairway, and thoughts a memory lane, I'd walk right up to rainbow bridge and bring you home again xX
TheCatsWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm thinking about using the stinky deer repellent I spray on my plants. That should give it something to think about until the smell dissipates. If it comes back, I will give it more.
wahoowad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowad View Post
I'm thinking about using the stinky deer repellent I spray on my plants. That should give it something to think about until the smell dissipates. If it comes back, I will give it more.
hmm, perhaps its best to start with water and if it's to no avail then go for the repellent? You don't actually want to harm this cat... Right?

If tears could build a stairway, and thoughts a memory lane, I'd walk right up to rainbow bridge and bring you home again xX
TheCatsWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Your cats won't like the repellant either.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Advertisement