Why do cats always want to be with us? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Why do cats always want to be with us?

Anyone know?
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

lol i am of not much help but i wonder the same thing. or rather, why do they want to be with us when we are sleeping, in the middle of doing something, or going somewhere? when i have time and want to cuddle and love on them, they seem like they want to play or be somewhere else. when i'm trying to do something, or sleeping, that's when they want to be pet, cuddle, or head butt my feet as im trying to walk by.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I know mine always want to be with me because I always want to be with them when I'm home! I'm always asking them questions, and talking to them. They 'help' me pick dinner, Muffin always 'helps' me when I go to the basement to get something from the freezer, Torri 'helps' me fold laundry, Jitzu is always within 5 feet of me when I'm home. Doran lately has to settle with crying from afar since his naughty little bum is still tethered to the cat post, but once he's decided to behave again he'll be 'helping' with all sorts of things again.

I think it has to do with how you interact with them. I expect them to chat back at me, to look interested and attentive, and to respond when I call them. So they do.
I know people who just 'have a cat'. Basically these cats just live in a house with people. I know several families like this. They eiether don't have time, or interest, for their feine companions so they don't have the same type of relationship. Their kitties are fine just going about their day, they really don't care if the people are home or not as long as they get fed.
...as a sidenote with people I'm close to who have cats like that the cats have learned to be friendlier with me because I make a point of greeting them. Even if I just say hi from across the room, if I'm there lots they get to know me and expect that interaction.

The other side of the coin is that when I really need to get cleaning done I have to either let the kitties have some outside time in the yard, or give them a special toy in their room while I'm working. They don't mind that either.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Because our bodies are warm, and we feed them.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

MowMow wants to be with me because I'm absolutely awesome....from his perspective.

I'm always warm and willing to cuddle, I am the giver of food and giver of treats. When he's lazy and wants onto a surface I'm there to lift him if he howls. If he wants petting I'm there to provide it...... being close to us make it easier for us to wait on them.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
MowMow wants to be with me because I'm absolutely awesome....from his perspective.

I'm always warm and willing to cuddle, I am the giver of food and giver of treats. When he's lazy and wants onto a surface I'm there to lift him if he howls. If he wants petting I'm there to provide it...... being close to us make it easier for us to wait on them.
I concur.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Isn't it interesting that non cat people think cats are solitaire, independent, arrogant animals. This is so far from the truth! Even ferals form colonies! Cats form bonds, are affectionate, and love our routines with them.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, it's a misconception born of the fact that cats have to separate into territories in order to have only 1 cat per source of food and water. All my strays live alone, in this sense. But they do seek company. And when they get used to another cat, they enjoy the company very much. I've noticed that Prince will refuse to go home when there are cats he likes around. When those leave, he soon agrees to go home. And if there are no cats downstairs, he's in a hurry to go back home.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

my cat follows me around everywhere i go,....it seems like i have 2 eyes staring at me constantly....no kidding.
ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Ripley lets me wander around by myself, except if I'm going to the toilet or I'm cooking in the kitchen. I understand the kitchen (FOOD!) but the toilet is funny. She's sitting as still as a statue in the middle of the hall in front of the toilet door when I come out. Then I get a "meow?" I've tried explaining to her that I have to go too...
Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement